Sony xbr55x800e Composite Input

kjmsmith

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a new xbr800e series and I am attepting to connect a Wii using the composite input. I had a 3.5mm composite RCA AV adapter on hand, yes the proper one as indicated by Sony (4 pole with video and audio left/right) and used it but the tv indicated there was no signal. I then tried attaching the Wii using the component input on the tv and it worked so that indicated to me the Wii cable was working. So I bought a new 3.5 composite plug and tried it but it too didn't work leaving me to believe the composite input on the tv is faulty. I hard-booted everything but no change. I googled this issue with little help other than reading someone else had the same issue that wasn't solved. Before I try to contact Sony or replace the tv I am wondering if anyone here has any advice or similar experience?
Thx!

I doubt very much the composite input is broken, it would be very very unusual.
Try feeding it with composite video from some other device like a set top box, DVD player or similar.
I believe (not too sure TBH but you can check) you go into the Wii's menu and tell it what to output, so check Composite video out has been selected.
Can I ask why, if you've got the Wii working on Component why you would want to set it to inferior composite video?

Thx for the suggestions JayCee. I’m using the composite input since the component input is being used by another device.
I am happy to report that I did fix this issue but I have to contact Sony to let them know they have a problem. I had done as JayCee suggested, to try a different device other than the Wii and I still couldn’t get a signal. One thing that I had noticed with the 3.5mm adapters was that neither one of the plugs I tried seemed to sink all the way into the hole. This got me thinking that the plug is too long and maybe it’s not a 4 pole input at all and is a 3 pole (video and mono audio). I had one of these adapters on hand and gave it a try. Sure enough it worked! I have the yellow video input and the red/right input attached that gives me sound out all speakers. The sound level is low, but it works.
So, the problem is that Sony clearly indicates on pg 11 of the manual here https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4684/46845721M.pdf to use a 3.5mm adapter using 3 rca inputs, video and audio left and audio right. Obviously this input is not stereo but is a mono input.
I hope this helps anyone else running into this issue.

It won't be a mono audio input, no manufacturer would use that these days.
There are many different configurations of TRRS 3.5mm mini jack plugs.
Did you use one supplied with your TV or buy an off the shelf one?

Sony did not include an adapter with the tv and the one identified in the user manual is what I tried. I agree it seems unusual but why did the smaller 3 pole work? I dont believe there are varieties of 4 pole plugs that differ in length??

Here is a pic of the plug I tried (top) and the one that worked.
7E2FB27A-5EB1-461C-9B7E-59108B224D65.jpeg

I should note that I tried various configurations in case the wiring did not match ie I plugged yellow into white and red but still no video signal. The smaller 3 pole also fit better, clicking into the receptical where the other plug was too long. I will check out the link you sent to read the differences. The adapter I bought did not provide info on which pole was for which signal. I thought this was universal.

Not in length but the wiring varies.
There's a good write-up on minijacks at
Understanding TRRS and Audio Jacks - Cable Chick Blog
Great article thank you. So the issue is not that one is longer than the other even though the first adapters I tried didnt seem to fit as good as the one I got to work. Is it possible that the ground ring on the adapters I was trying are incompatible with the Sony socket configuration and ‘shorting’ the connection? I guess I will need to find an adapter that I know matches the configuration as illustrated in the Sony user manual.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom