Sony X95J LED LCD TV Owners Thread

they mention it clearly on their site - however it could be argued for what size screen though

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 13.47.34.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 13.47.34.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
they mention is clearly on their site - however it could be argued for what size screen thought
Okay, I missed that point, but when I asked about the matrix, this is what they said:
"Unfortunately, it can be quite tough to differentiate between the two and it isn’t something our testing currently seeks to identify. On our end, as long as it comes up as 10-bit, we mark it as 10 bit (because they pretty much achieve the same result). One good way to tell though is if we list it as 10-bit but it’s advertised as 8-bit. Sorry we couldn’t offer any additional clarity!"
Or they confused me and I didn't understand their answer :(

Okay, I missed that point, but when I asked about the matrix, this is what they said:
"Unfortunately, it can be quite tough to differentiate between the two and it isn’t something our testing currently seeks to identify. On our end, as long as it comes up as 10-bit, we mark it as 10 bit (because they pretty much achieve the same result). One good way to tell though is if we list it as 10-bit but it’s advertised as 8-bit. Sorry we couldn’t offer any additional clarity!"
Or they confused me and I didn't understand their answer :(
this will help too

Hello experts!
Please tell me how many bit matrix from this Sony XR-65X95J: 10 bits or 8 bits + FRC.
I was not given a response to the official request to Sony’s answer, they said that the manufacturer does not give such information.
Thank you.
Can I ask why you want to know? Isn't it practically impossible to tell the difference anyway or have I got that wrong?

Can I ask why you want to know? Isn't it practically impossible to tell the difference anyway or have I got that wrong?
Well, why, all the same 10-bit has a better color gamut color variety and smoothness of the transitions between colors.
And for the content in HDR it is only better.:rolleyes:

this will help too

Can we trust the website displayspecifications, they say that sometimes they are wrong?
But in any case it's already a plus, that on displayspecifications and on rtings.com they mention 10 bits.
Thank you.

I wonder why none of the proud X95J owners in this thread has so far added it to their signature? Espcially @u02ai, whose 85" will be the joint second-largest television on this forum (the biggest is a Samsung UE88JS9500 from a few years ago, but I don't know if the owner is still active on this forum. Go one boys, let's all see your new machines in your signatures!

Was just about to start the same thread!

I recently acquired the XR85X95J around 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately been away from home since then but back now and had a good play about last night.

Upgrading from a 65inch hisense K720 which was around 5 years old and had no HDR.

Looked about quite a bit between Samsung models and the Sony. Both seem great and plumped for the XR85X95J in the end due to good deal online and being curious, as never have owned a Sony Bravia before.

Very happy with the TV so far. Ran the DSE test and the panel looks great to me...... If I look really close and concentrate.. I think I can't just about make out a vague grid effect but don't know if this is just in my head.

In real world use - zero issues apparent with this.

Similarly a bit of blooming running the test patterns (mainly subtitles) but haven't noticed it all while watching movies etc.

Haven't tweaked the settings too much apart from the luminance and HDR settings and turned the motion settings off. Colour looks great right out of the box.

Black levels look fantastic to me (however my previous reference point was low). Haven't seen any Oled tvs yet and I know they will be be better in this regard, however the XR95J more than punches it weight for an LCD!

@u02ai I'm impressed that you like the black levels on your 85". There are several reviews online that compared the Sony X95J with the Samsung QN95A (which is designated QN90A in North America). Th reviews agree that the Samsung has deeper blacks, but with some crush of shadow detail in the really black parts of the image. Sony kept on to shadow detail better. You do say that the Sony's black levels are fantastic, but you're coming from a five-year-old Hisense, not a model that I'm familiar with so I can't say how good the Hisense's black levels are (were? Hope you still have it and have maybe demoted it to another room!

Nobody should be paying more than three grand for the 85" size now, which started off at Richer Sounds at £4499 if I remember correctly. These are Richer Sounds prices on 30th December 2021.

Comparison 85, 83, 85 TVs on 30 Dec 2021.jpg

When I watch apps on X95j I still get audio from satellite input on Denon amp. I have to turn amp down and turn tv speakers up. Sony says call Denon , Denon says call Sony!

I wonder why none of the proud X95J owners in this thread has so far added it to their signature? Espcially @u02ai, whose 85" will be the joint second-largest television on this forum (the biggest is a Samsung UE88JS9500 from a few years ago, but I don't know if the owner is still active on this forum. Go one boys, let's all see your new machines in your signatures!

@u02ai I'm impressed that you like the black levels on your 85". There are several reviews online that compared the Sony X95J with the Samsung QN95A (which is designated QN90A in North America). Th reviews agree that the Samsung has deeper blacks, but with some crush of shadow detail in the really black parts of the image. Sony kept on to shadow detail better. You do say that the Sony's black levels are fantastic, but you're coming from a five-year-old Hisense, not a model that I'm familiar with so I can't say how good the Hisense's black levels are (were? Hope you still have it and have maybe demoted it to another room!

Haha, I never thought of adding the TV to my signature.... I will get it on it for next post.

They hisense was a great budget TV which I bought about 5 years ago due to a very active thread recommendation on this very forum! It was a good value proposition at the time for size and specs.

I'm happy with the blacks, however over the years I've definitely become far less discerning in terms of absolute perfect picture quality.

I'm now an advocate of the 'satisficing' approach vs maximising.

This mindset has made me far more chilled and happier :)

I watched Green Planet in UHD HDR on my Tv yesterday and was blown away with the picture quality and brightness. Pretty sure I am going to swap it out for a 95K at the end of next year as I wont be able to resist Sony Mini LED but WOW it will keep me happy for the Moment.

What's the correct set-up for my devices, as I'm having a mental block... !! I'm presuming:

1) Sonos Beam (Gen 1) connects to the e-Arc HDMI (I'm using a 2.1 cable although probably not doing anything special)
2) PS5 connects to the other 4K120 HDMI via 2.1 cable
3) Sky Q connect to the a normal HDMI. I'm using a 2.1 cable for this too but think that's overkill too.

I'm getting confused as when setting up the TV it gave me 4k for the PS5 but only 2k for the Sky Q and I can't see any way of getting UHD on Sky... although this could be because I've not subscribed to UHD via Sky!

Also - on what device do people use to watch Netflix / Amazon Prime etc. Via the TV, or Sky, or the PS5?

Many thanks for any guidance / answers!

Just ordered an 85" after my 75 XF9005 failed last year as have been waiting for the price difference vs my JL refund on a 75" X95 to drop enough.

A few questions that hopefully someone can answer
  • does a USB3 lan adapter work on these TVs? I've seen videos that claim it does now work but it never did on the XF
  • what's the movie choice like on bravia core? I already have baby driver and spiderverse in 4k on GPM from the redemption offer on the XF

Has anyone noticed following:

1. You cannot open or close TV with remote control when you are in Bluetooth mode. It works only if you point the remote to the infrared port. The interesting thing is that you can open tv in Bluetooth mode if you press Netflix, disney+, youtube or amazon prime buttons.

2. Open any app (Netflix, amazon...). Then press from remote the setup button and then select again settings from the list below. You will be kicked out from the App and you will go to "Home" screen? You will not get the setting menu. To access settings you need to do it again. When it opens try to go to the Picture and sound -setting. Now suddenly the TV goes to tv channel or hdmi4?

I have also noticed that sometimes the middle channel audio is missing about 3-7min when you open your receiver. The audio will come back but you need to wait.
This is probably my AVR problem, but I managed to get this bug once with TV's own speakers.

Have anyone noticed these problems?

Update: It seems the Power button functionality is normal.

Last edited:
Got the 65" x95j on the recent richer sounds sale. Excellent tv and better than the Samsung q95t that i had ordered previously. The q95t is punchier in hdr and some cool features like the one connect box, but in all other respects the Sony is better and more user friendly with less dse and picture artifacts.

Has anyone noticed following:

1. You cannot open or close TV with remote control when you are in Bluetooth mode. It works only if you point the remote to the infrared port. The interesting thing is that you can open tv in Bluetooth mode if you press Netflix, disney+, youtube or amazon prime buttons.

2. Open any app (Netflix, amazon...). Then press from remote the setup button and then select again settings from the list below. You will be kicked out from the App and you will go to "Home" screen? You will not get the setting menu. To access settings you need to do it again. When it opens try to go to the Picture and sound -setting. Now suddenly the TV goes to tv channel or hdmi4?

I have also noticed that sometimes the middle channel audio is missing about 3-7min when you open your receiver. The audio will come back but you need to wait.
This is probably my AVR problem, but I managed to get this bug once with TV's own speakers.

Have anyone noticed these problems?

Update: It seems the Power button functionality is normal.
Yes i have #2. Think it cannot render the full settings screen while overlaying on the current input.
Another issue is that the native tv apps have very low brightness that cannot be adjusted anyhow

Just ordered an 85" after my 75 XF9005 failed last year as have been waiting for the price difference vs my JL refund on a 75" X95 to drop enough.

A few questions that hopefully someone can answer
  • does a USB3 lan adapter work on these TVs? I've seen videos that claim it does now work but it never did on the XF
  • what's the movie choice like on bravia core? I already have baby driver and spiderverse in 4k on GPM from the redemption offer on the XF
TV arrived today and its DOA. Comes on for a few seconds and then goes off with 4 or 5 flashes. Now waiting on phone for a replacement so not a great start as have a dead 85 TV in the lounge!

So either nobody bought this TV or everyone's so happy with it, they dont feel the need to discuss it. 😎

I'd start a Z9J owners thread, but I'm worried it'd just be me, myself and I... 😁

So either nobody bought this TV or everyone's so happy with it, they dont feel the need to discuss it. 😎

I'd start a Z9J owners thread, but I'm worried it'd just be me, myself and I... 😁
If the owners threads are anything to go by its been a poor year for Sony on the LCD front.

Slightly jealous of your Z9J though! 😂

Do any X95J owners plan to or have had their sets professionally calibrated ? I'm in two minds atm. Having owned Sony TV's for a number of years now, I pretty much know which of the main picture settings should be on or off. Just not sure I can justify spending £300 to have the 20 point white balance done.

Yep pretty much this from me. Bought the 65X95J, like it a lot although it will be a stop gap to a 95K or what comes after.

Cant really fault it though, most content looks sublime.

I'm having an issue with my xr75x95j. It randomly turns on. No rhyme or reason. Sony had ordered parts for a repair but cancelled it because apparently others with the same issue had the repair but it did not correct the issue. They said google is working with Sony on fixing it. Not a hardware issue so it'll be a software push. He had me turn off some options that turn on and off my receiver auto when the tv is turned on or off and suggested I disable IPV6 on my router.
Kinda bummed but hopefully they get it sorted out

Terrible audio delay (the lips move but the sound comes later) with my XR 85x95J connected to DENON AVR-X3700H. They are connected via eARC. The problem arises when watching any of the streaming apps, NETFLIX, Disney +, YouTube etc. Works fine when using the cable TV, which is connected to CBL/SAT port of the DENON. Also works ok when listening through the TV audio. Tried adjusting the Audio Delay function available on the DENON with variable results i.e. works better sometimes but not always. The TV and receiver both have the latest firmware.
IS SONY XR 85X95J INCOMPATIBLE WITH DENON?
Please help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom