Question Sony X950H/XH95 vs. Samsung Q90T (55”) - PS5 gaming and Movies

WunDaii

Standard Member
I’m struggling to decide between the Sony XH95 and the Samsung Q90T. They’re both within my budget (£100 between the two). My use will be 50% PS5 and 50% movies via Plex (remux movies), all in a dark room. I plan to upgrade this TV in 4-5 years with a mini LED set. I’m coming from a 2010 1080p TV.

What I’ve read about the Sony:
  • + Dolby Vision
  • + More accurate colours
  • + Better motion processing
  • - Bleeding into black bars in movies
  • - Less bright
What I’ve read about the Samsung:
  • + HDMI 2.1 4K 120hz, VRR
  • + Brighter
  • + Less bleed into black bars when watching movies
  • + More local dimming zones
  • - DSE is common (is this still the case? Seems like newer panels don’t have this issue)
  • - Stutter effect when using 4K 120Hz, and poor when watching sports. I’d be steaming football via iPlayer on my Fire TV stick.
  • - HDR gaming reduces local dimming zones.
The biggest +ve of the Q90T seems to be HDMI 2.1.

In this thread people seem to heavily recommend the Sony, but that OP said they didn’t game.

Is there anything I should look out for? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Have you had a read of the guide if gaming a priority?

Dodgexander

You could choice a bit easier based on your preferences. If its gaming>sport then go for the Samsung, however if its sport>gaming go for the Sony.

The other points really come secondary to this decision imo. Its also worth considering the Q90T usually is more expensive, so in terms of value for money isn't as good as the XH9505.

WunDaii

Standard Member
Have you had a read of the guide if gaming a priority?

You could choice a bit easier based on your preferences. If its gaming>sport then go for the Samsung, however if its sport>gaming go for the Sony.

The other points really come secondary to this decision imo. Its also worth considering the Q90T usually is more expensive, so in terms of value for money isn't as good as the XH9505.
Thanks for your help!

Yep I read the guide, it seems like the Q90T is ranked higher, although both are ‘high tier’.

Sport would be occasional, perhaps 5-10%. So the breakdown would be 45% gaming, 45% movies, 10% sport at most.

I guess my main concern is whether the issues of the Samsung (DSD, stuttering) actually have quite a large effect on gaming that I’d be safer with the Sony.

The issues I’ve read about in the owner’s thread are worrying me...

WunDaii

Standard Member

Oh and the Q90T has come down to £100 more than the XH95 in the UK, which I’m happy to spend.

I’m just not sure the gaming positives are actually positives due to all the reported issues.

Dodgexander

The stuttering reported has nothing to do with gaming, and will be with video content. Motion with games is generally a lot better as the panel can run at 60 or even 120hz natively. Its more things like sport (50hz) or general TV (24/25hz) where people who had the problem see it.

As for the screen uniformity of the TV, it really depends on the content and your sample of the TV. The Sony XH9505 tends to have dark corners, but may be more uniform in the centre. Their local dimming doesn't artificially break picture accuracy like Samsung's does, but the trade off is more blooming.

On the other hand, the Q90T sides on improving blooming a lot more due to more aggressive local dimming and therefore less picture accuracy.

Aside from those differences, if you view the uniformity slides on rtings Sony's tend to better in grey, Samsung's in black. If you're looking for minimal visible DSE in football then Sony is probably a safer choice, but if you want better screen uniformity in dark scenes then the Samsung is probably best.

The Samsung is coming down in price, but I expect the Sony will too. Pricing typically fluctuates quite a bit, right now the Samsung looks better since its reduction whilst the Sony doesn't because its been at the same price for some time. Both TVs should be about even overall, but as you say 100 isn't much difference if one ticks more boxes than the other.

Lakim

Novice Member
Oh and the Q90T has come down to £100 more than the XH95 in the UK, which I’m happy to spend.

I’m just not sure the gaming positives are actually positives due to all the reported issues.
Why wouldn't you go for LG BX? More or less the same price as Samsung?

WunDaii

Standard Member
The stuttering reported has nothing to do with gaming, and will be with video content. Motion with games is generally a lot better as the panel can run at 60 or even 120hz natively. Its more things like sport (50hz) or general TV (24/25hz) where people who had the problem see it.

As for the screen uniformity of the TV, it really depends on the content and your sample of the TV. The Sony XH9505 tends to have dark corners, but may be more uniform in the centre. Their local dimming doesn't artificially break picture accuracy like Samsung's does, but the trade off is more blooming.

On the other hand, the Q90T sides on improving blooming a lot more due to more aggressive local dimming and therefore less picture accuracy.

Aside from those differences, if you view the uniformity slides on rtings Sony's tend to better in grey, Samsung's in black. If you're looking for minimal visible DSE in football then Sony is probably a safer choice, but if you want better screen uniformity in dark scenes then the Samsung is probably best.

The Samsung is coming down in price, but I expect the Sony will too. Pricing typically fluctuates quite a bit, right now the Samsung looks better since its reduction whilst the Sony doesn't because its been at the same price for some time. Both TVs should be about even overall, but as you say 100 isn't much difference if one ticks more boxes than the other.

Thank you for your detailed reply!

It seems like the Q90T is the way to go. That owner’s thread was off-putting with the purple ghosting issues and DSE (which I understand now is more noticeable for sports or picture where there is a large area of a single colour, which will be rare in movies and games).

WunDaii

Standard Member
Why wouldn't you go for LG BX? More or less the same price as Samsung?

Burn in worries me and the brightness. I plan to watch a lot of HDR content and I understand brightness plays a huge role, and the Samsung/Sony gets dark enough (of course the BX is the darkest, but I’m unsure if the difference is worth foregoing the brightness).

Lakim

Novice Member
Burn in worries me and the brightness. I plan to watch a lot of HDR content and I understand brightness plays a huge role, and the Samsung/Sony gets dark enough (of course the BX is the darkest, but I’m unsure if the difference is worth foregoing the brightness).
I have more or less the same demands from TV, so still haven't fully decided, worried about burn-in as well, but I am not sure that I am willing to go Samsung route, from videos I've seen I like Sonyš picture more

WunDaii

Standard Member
I have more or less the same demands from TV, so still haven't fully decided, worried about burn-in as well, but I am not sure that I am willing to go Samsung route, from videos I've seen I like Sonyš picture more

The Samsung is definitely better on paper. Brighter, HDMI 2.1, less blooming. The gaming issues put me off, almost making HDMI 2.1 redundant (well, not worth putting any weight on it).

I’ve read far less issues with the Sony, and lots of users seem happy with the set.

Lakim

Novice Member
The Samsung is definitely better on paper. Brighter, HDMI 2.1, less blooming. The gaming issues put me off, almost making HDMI 2.1 redundant (well, not worth putting any weight on it).

I’ve read far less issues with the Sony, and lots of users seem happy with the set.
this is the thing, I am not not if I want to perform a shaman dance with a drum around my £1000 device

WunDaii

Standard Member
I'm wondering what you've decided in the end?
Sorry I didn’t get an alert for this message. In the end I went for the CX as I saw a deal for £1,100. In the end I’m very happy with it, I’m sure I’m missing out on brightness compared to the other models but I draw my curtains when I use it so it’s in a dark environment. The contrast is stunning and the picture is super sharp.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom