Sony X950H or Sony X90J

DecLinE

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone!
I would like to change my old X900E that still works perfect (just to have a bigger tv), and now I can choose between the new Sony X90J or the Sony X950H. The X90J costs 150€ more.
I know the Sony X950H doesn't have HDMI 2.1 ports, but I've read around the web that they won't be used so much in the next few years (maybe just for games).
I watch a lot of movies and tv series (bluray, netflix, prime video) and I also play a lot with the PS4 PRO (offline games), but honestly I don't think I will cry for not having 4K 120Hz.
Which of the two televisions do you recommend?
Thank you in advance!

Newly released TVs (with J in the name for 2021 Sony's) currently cost more as they have just been released.

The equivalents are:

Sony XH9005 - X90J
Sony XH9505 - X95J (yet unreleased)

Its never a good idea to buy a newly released product this early as you'll pay more money, for less picture quality. Therefore I'd suggest going for the XH9505, or if you'd like to wait for HDMI 2.1 wait for the prices of new TVs like the X95J to come down.

Newly released TVs (with J in the name for 2021 Sony's) currently cost more as they have just been released.

The equivalents are:

Sony XH9005 - X90J
Sony XH9505 - X95J (yet unreleased)

Its never a good idea to buy a newly released product this early as you'll pay more money, for less picture quality. Therefore I'd suggest going for the XH9505, or if you'd like to wait for HDMI 2.1 wait for the prices of new TVs like the X95J to come down.
Thank you very much. Really. :)
Just last question: which TV between Sony 55'' XH9505 and Samsung 55'' Q95T (too many people talk about DSE and no Dolby Vision)?

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Really. :)
Just last question: which TV between Sony 55'' XH9505 and Samsung 55'' Q95T (too many people talk about DSE and no Dolby Vision)?
The Q95T is a variant of the Q90T with the one connect box to keep connections tidier.
These two TVs (XH9505 and Q90T/Q95T) are compared often.
Here's my last take on it:

Overall Dolby Vision support doesn't matter that much, the difference is more about the approach each manufacturers make with their TVs. A TV that lacks Dolby Vision HDR support will still play back the HDR10 layer of that title. As long as the TV has good HDR hardware, then it will be impressive; Dolby Vision or not.

Thank you for your help! :)
I'm very indecisive... Samsung Q95T costs about 100€ less than Sony XH9505 in my town right now. But I'm very afraid of DSE problem that is found by many users.

Thank you for your help! :)
I'm very indecisive... Samsung Q95T costs about 100€ less than Sony XH9505 in my town right now. But I'm very afraid of DSE problem that is found by many users.
Hi.
If i were you i would not bother with samsung. I got 3 different q80t's last year and one panel was worse than the other. It seems quality control is concept they had forsaken. The last one had so much dse that i was trying to find a clean spot on the panel. This was a widespread problem last year, and i don't see it being better this year.
With sony you will get a bit of vigneting which is darker corners but the panel is always super clean. You can't escape something depending the brand and the tech (fald,oled), but make sure you have the minimal of anything. As for your question i am an xh95 49 inch owner (which means narrow viewing angles but much higher native contrast than the other inches) and today i got an x94j (Europe has some variants, this one has the premium blade stands the 55 inch and above xh95 had last year, and every model above the x90j i.e x92j x93-94j also have an extra 'colour enrichment' tech). I have the 50 inch version. It seems mainstream tv media and owners now start with the 65 inch as the baseline for some reason and go all the way up to 1000 inches. It seems anything less than 55 is not even worth discussing.
If the difference is only 150euro between them go with the x90j. There is no question there at all. This tv is better in every aspect. I see you mentioned gaming. It supports 120hz at 4k and is future proof for dolby vission in games. It has a 8.5 ms response time and does not sacrifice local dimming at all to achieve that. Yes a samsung might have 5 or 6 or something of the sort for gaming but they sacrifice a lot of the local dimming function for that. The contrast on the x90j is beyond insane for a sony tv and it;s local dimming function is the best i have seen. Plus you will be impressed with the tricks the processor does. I say go for the x90j.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom