Sony X950H or Samsung QN90A?

miles333

Novice Member
Reaction score
According to the reviews on rtings.com, the QN90A is the obvious choice, though more expensive. It's newer and rates higher on all metrics, (including HDR Movies and HDR Gaming,) except it lacks Dolby Vision which the X950H has. I don't mind the price difference between the two sets. Is it ridiculous to consider getting the X950H solely for the Dolby Vision support? Will I even notice the lack of Dolby Vision on the QN90A? If I'm watching 4K blu-rays that support Dolby Vision, content on streaming platforms that support Dolby Vision, or purchased films/TV on iTunes that support Dolby Vision, will they all fallback and play in HDR10 instead?

The formats the TV accepts is secondary to how good the TV can display HDR to begin with, because as you say Dolby Vision HDR content will always revert to basic HDR10 if not supported.

This means despite Dolby Vision HDR having at technical edge the limiting factor to how an LCD TV can display HDR is not the format's it accepts but instead how good it's local dimming is, how bright the TV can get and its color volume.

If you want the best of both worlds without breaking the bank consider the Hisense U8G or TCL 6 series instead which support both formats.

The formats the TV accepts is secondary to how good the TV can display HDR to begin with, because as you say Dolby Vision HDR content will always revert to basic HDR10 if not supported.

This means despite Dolby Vision HDR having at technical edge the limiting factor to how an LCD TV can display HDR is not the format's it accepts but instead how good it's local dimming is, how bright the TV can get and its color volume.

If you want the best of both worlds without breaking the bank consider the Hisense U8G or TCL 6 series instead which support both formats.
Brightness, Local Dimming in SDR, and Color Volume are all better on the Samsung according to the rtings.com side by side comparison. HDR local dimming is better on the Sony but in general the side by side shows local dimming is better on the Samsung. Should I get the Samsung then?

Brightness, Local Dimming in SDR, and Color Volume are all better on the Samsung according to the rtings.com side by side comparison. HDR local dimming is better on the Sony but in general the side by side shows local dimming is better on the Samsung. Should I get the Samsung then?
The Samsung is almost better in every category. Main thing the Sony does better is motion processing imo.

Sony were a bit behind last year compared to the year before. The X950H is almost an exact copy of the older X950G. Comparing the new 2022 ranges the X95K is a more competitive TV to Samsung's but these TVs are all too expensive at the moment having just been released.

The Samsung is almost better in every category. Main thing the Sony does better is motion processing imo.

Sony were a bit behind last year compared to the year before. The X950H is almost an exact copy of the older X950G. Comparing the new 2022 ranges the X95K is a more competitive TV to Samsung's but these TVs are all too expensive at the moment having just been released.
After looking at the Hisense U8G I’m actually leaning towards that now. Out of the box pre calibration accuracy seems great according to rtings.com, and better in general than the X950H (better contrast and local dimming,) while $600 less than the QN90A and it supports Dolby vision. My biggest area of concern for the U8G is the viewing angle but I always watch the tv straight on so it shouldn’t be an issue. Thanks for your help

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom