Sony X90J X94J LED LCD TV Owners Thread

After trying the new software update last week i noticed two things
1) The local dimming is a bit better...but not as good as when the tv launched. I was of the first to get the tv in May. It din't even have a software update. Local dimming was superb. Then the first update made it tighter in June i think, but the August update messed it a bit, especially in sdr content were blooming was virtually non existent up until then. Now it seems a bit better and i am sure it will be fixed in the end i have no worries.
2) Major upgrade for nextgen console owners. On my series x the 4k 120hz output was bad. A lot of posterization compared to 60hz output. This now seems to have been fixed and setting the machine at 120hz produces a very clean image. That is a huge upgrade for using the 2.1 ability of this tv.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been asked before or if anyone else has noticed, but my X90J doesn’t show the option to output IMAX Enhanced audio. I know it sends the format to the receiver as it displays correctly, but it only shows “Dolby Audio” in the sound selection list. So has anyone seen the IMAX option on these TV’s?

Has anyone got any advice for blooming ?? I had a xh90 and sent back for blooming but my x94j is worse. Is this down to tweaking the settings or a local dimming bug etc ??

I've only noticed a bit of blooming when there's subtitles. I do have biased lighting so maybe that helps but I hardly ever see it. Have you tried messing with the loc dimming settings?

Thanks for getting back to me:) I've messed about with the settings and the only way to resolve it is turn local dimming off completely. I can't see anyone else complain about blooming and was tempted to return this and go oled but the burn in worries me

Thanks for getting back to me:) I've messed about with the settings and the only way to resolve it is turn local dimming off completely. I can't see anyone else complain about blooming and was tempted to return this and go oled but the burn in worries me
I don't suffer and major blooming on my set and I don't use bias lighting. A little bit in a pitch black room but nothing distracting and I use LD on high. It's a great TV for the price, maybe your just more sensitive to blooming than I am in which case I'd advise buying some bias lighting and your issue will then cease to exist 😀

Has anyone with this set had any random reboots? Happened twice to me now.

Has anyone with this set had any random reboots? Happened twice to me now.

I've had a few infrequent ones. Has happened a few times after first powering on, get's to main frontend then rebooted. Also one when switching inputs.

FW Ver 6.3800

Last edited:
2 weeks in and getting used to TV....still smashing it out of the park in terms of picture quality...now exploring the world of Android Apps....any must haves out there?

Cheers,
M

I've had a few infrequent ones. Has happened a few times after first powering on, get's to main frontend then rebooted. Also one when switching inputs.

FW Ver 6.3800
FM Ver 6.4048 here. Its only done it a few times but annoying nonetheless. Doesn't seem to be anything I can put my finger on that causes it. Hopefully fixed in a future fw update

I get random reboots every so often as well, usually when switching it on. I’m on the latest firmware that’s out at the moment.

I get random reboots every so often as well, usually when switching it on. I’m on the latest firmware that’s out at the moment.
Yeah I reckon I've had half a dozen reboots since i got the TV in July. Not enough to cause any real hassle, but a bit annoying

I just got the 75x90j and I'm noticing on ota sports (football) that the picture looks like it breaks up far a second here and there. Mostly on wide shots. Almost like artifacts around players heads and bodies and sometimes when the players move the whole screen around players gets distorted/ broke up for just a second. Close ups look good, it's just occasional. Sports on, say ESPN look good. Also it takes a while to tune in to ota channels, some longer than others. Other things on ota look great, so far it just seems like sports(football). Stuff like Youtube and movies look great. I'm coming from a 65" Samsung Q6 from 2018 and it didn't have this problem on ota football. Do I have a bad tuner or something? It could even be just something about the channel itself. Are there any settings I should change? Thanks for any responses. Just for clarity I did update to the latest firmware.

I just got the 75x90j and I'm noticing on ota sports (football) that the picture looks like it breaks up far a second here and there. Mostly on wide shots. Almost like artifacts around players heads and bodies and sometimes when the players move the whole screen around players gets distorted/ broke up for just a second. Close ups look good, it's just occasional. Sports on, say ESPN look good. Also it takes a while to tune in to ota channels, some longer than others. Other things on ota look great, so far it just seems like sports(football). Stuff like Youtube and movies look great. I'm coming from a 65" Samsung Q6 from 2018 and it didn't have this problem on ota football. Do I have a bad tuner or something? It could even be just something about the channel itself. Are there any settings I should change? Thanks for any responses. Just for clarity I did update to the latest firmware.

I would try playing around with the settings-->motion-->motion flow [custom]. I have both sliders set to minimum (can't remember their names), and 'film mode' to low and haven't noticed the issues you mention with football (or anything else).

Last edited:
I'm an F1 fan and not noticed any issues like this .

Motion artifacts do tend to happen with sports if you go above a setting of 1 for smoothness. I use the custom setting of smoothness 1 and clearness 1 on SkyQ and artifacts are a non issue, my film mode setting is on high. I think Film mode on low makes smoothness less intrusive so you can crank it up to 3 and not suffer artifacts but the picture won't be as smooth, If I'm wrong someone can correct me it's just my experience.

I'm an F1 fan and not noticed any issues like this.

Motion artifacts do tend to happen with sports if you go above a setting of 1 for smoothness. I use the custom setting of smoothness 1 and clearness 1 on SkyQ and artifacts are a non issue, my film mode setting is on high. I think Film mode on low makes smoothness less intrusive so you can crank it up to 3 and not suffer artifacts but the picture won't be as smooth, If I'm wrong someone can correct me it's just my experience.

I would try playing around with the settings-->motion-->motion flow [custom]. I have both sliders set to minimum (can't remember their names), and 'film mode' to low and haven't noticed the issues you mention with football (or anything else).

Thanks for the responses, so far. I will check this out when I get home from work.

Just got my 65" X90J this week to replace my Sony 50" (2014 version).
Wow, love it.
I haven't played with any settings yet but have a question.
I'm ordering a custom build gaming PC which I will connect via 2.1 port. Is there an option for Picture in picture/split screen on 2 inputs, so I can have PC on one and Sky Q on the other?
Cheers

Hello everyone! Nice to meet you.

New owner of the X90J here :) Decided to get the 75" to expand my screen size. I was using a 65" LG C7 OLED prior, but the LG 77" OLED's price is out of my reach and not VFM.

Screen/ Grey Uniformity
At first I was worried that the 75" size will have poor grey uniformity across even though it was a FALD panel. But, take heart, the grey uniformity for my 75" screen was excellent and no patches. The only thing I noticed was the 4 corners are very slightly darker on a grey uniformity test pattern, but not significant and won't affect viewing experience as the overall screen uniformity is very good

Blacks/ Black Uniformity
No regrets, very happy with the quality of the X90J even though the OLED's blacks and black uniformity was much better, because I have a much bigger screen size now. Size really makes a big difference!

I do notice that blooming was noticeable compared to my previous OLED but the local dimming set on MEDIUM or HIGH helped a lot. Still miss the perfect blacks and no blooming on the OLED.

Color Accuracy
I'm happy by the out of box colors, on the CUSTOM mode on SDR. The only flaw is that, based on my raw eye, the colors seem to have a slight blue/green tinge, which I will need to measure and resolve using calibration.

LAN port limitation
By the way, fellow X90J owners, note that the LAN port on the X90J is only 100MBPS. Those of us who wants to enjoy the full internet speeds of your home internet plan, get a USB3.0 LAN adapter. Tried and tested and thank God for HDTVtest's advice. See video here:

Last edited:
Has anyone got any advice for blooming ?? I had a xh90 and sent back for blooming but my x94j is worse. Is this down to tweaking the settings or a local dimming bug etc ??

hi, Is it seen in a dark or bright room environment? What test pattern or scene are u seeing the blooming?

In a very dark room viewing environment, the X90J has some blooming issues for dark scenes. This is confirmed by TV calibrators and reviewers. Bright room environment, it is ok.

I've confirmed it on my set too using black uniformity test patterns in dark room environment. The blooming can be minimised with Local Dimming set to MEDIUM or HIGH in dark room environment.

If you are watching your TV in a dark room environment, be sure to:
  • Turn off the LIGHT SENSOR
  • Set BRIGHTNESS to a suitable level for your black levels to be correct according to your room's brightness/darkness. Use test patterns from the well known display test disks to help you e.g SPEARS MUNSIL. For me, in my dark room environment, my BRIGHTNESS setting is at 3 in order for the black levels to be correct.

A few questions to owners of this TV:

Do you notice any dirty screen effect? I am aware about the corners being darker and can live with that but I would be upset if the middle of the screen was not uniform.

@ McKenzie, hope this helps. I'm on a 75" X90J. The screen uniformity was excellent using Grey uniformity test patterns even though it was a 75" panel.

But you can request to test the uniformity before accepting the TV set. My retail shop allowed exchange on the spot when it is delivered. So I did the grey and colors uniformity test when it was delivered, and checked that it was ok before allowing the delivery chaps to leave. This is important, esp on bigger panels.

Do you ever wish you went OLED instead?
It's not fair to compare the 2 because the price point for the same panel size is quite different to begin with.

I was on an OLED previously and I calibrate my own displays to industry color standard. OLED has its advantages - e.g. the blacks, and black uniformity is PERFECT, which LED LCDs can't match as OLED can control every pixel separately.

For the same price point, you can get a 1 screen size bigger for the X90J compared to any typical OLED brands out there. This is why I made the plunge to X90J.

hi, Is it seen in a dark or bright room environment? What test pattern or scene are u seeing the blooming?

In a very dark room viewing environment, the X90J has some blooming issues for dark scenes. This is confirmed by TV calibrators and reviewers. Bright room environment, it is ok.

I've confirmed it on my set too using black uniformity test patterns in dark room environment. The blooming can be minimised with Local Dimming set to MEDIUM or HIGH in dark room environment.

If you are watching your TV in a dark room environment, be sure to:
  • Turn off the LIGHT SENSOR
  • Set BRIGHTNESS to a suitable level for your black levels to be correct according to your room's brightness/darkness. Use test patterns from the well known display test disks to help you e.g SPEARS MUNSIL. For me, in my dark room environment, my BRIGHTNESS setting is at 3 in order for the black levels to be correct.
Thanks for getting back to me. Sony told me to use the light sensor?? I watch in a dark room at night mostly. It's whenever there's a dark scene I see the back-light and on the xbox it's noticeable in the menus. I wasn't sure if theres a way to fix it or if an oled would be better ??

Thanks for getting back to me. Sony told me to use the light sensor??
LIGHT SENSOR must be disabled. Otherwise, your picture accuracy and brightness will all be affected. Read up the professional reviews on the X90J (e.g. RTINGS, HDTVTest, FLATPANELSHD) and follow what the calibrators recommend.

I watch in a dark room at night mostly. It's whenever there's a dark scene I see the back-light and on the xbox it's noticeable in the menus.
Can't really understand this fully? Can you re-phrase and elaborate?

I wasn't sure if theres a way to fix it or if an oled would be better ??
Need to understand what is the issue you are seeing first. It could be your settings.

That is normal. X90J has same number of dimming zones, and it's brighter. That's why you see more blooming.
Screenshot_20211102-103713~2.png

Screenshot_20211102-104729.png

Last edited:
That is normal. X90J has same number of dimming zones, and it's brighter. That's why you see more blooming.
View attachment 1596142

View attachment 1596144
Hi.
The level of blooming the tv has is not normal. I am of the first who got the x94j in May when it didn't even have a software update. The local dimming feature was much better than what it is now. This is something i have previously talked about. On the August update onwards the local dimming feature just got downgraded. Plain and simple.
People who claim that it has more blooming than the x900h due to being more bright with the same amount of dimming zones tend to forget that the local dimming algorithm is much more advanced on paper due to the cognitive xr processor.
Like i have said multiple times. This tv handles blooming in a very specific way. It will light up -on paper at least- the side of the screen that the blooming occurs so you won't get vertical light bleed like for example the xh95. The blooming was very tight and was just a small halo around the object, whether that was small letters or whatever.
It seems now after running local dimming tests on youtube that the tv just lights up like a Christmas tree. This just isn't normal. There are two reasons why this is happening:
1)The logical reason where by fixing something else on firmware updates they messed up the local dimming function. Ok if this is the case they are smart people so hopefully we can trust in them to fix it.
2) The conspiracy theory reason in which the local dimming algorithm on this tv just got downgraded plain and simple since the x95j came out. They have the exact same processor so the local dimming algorithm should be the exact same. The x95j has analogically speaking the same amount of zones for a 65 inch tv with bigger real estate than what this tv has in its 55 inch version for example and it is hailed as the best local dimming tv ever. There is no realistic reason why my x94j is blooming the way it is now. The reason I know this is because when I got it I was blown away from just how good it's handling of blooming was (in logical faled levels of course let's not blow this out of proportion), a clear and absolute step up from the xh95.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom