Sony X90J X94J LED LCD TV Owners Thread

Ha! Haven't even got that far yet....been busy doing maths with my legs and sticking out...might even have to get a central generic stand.......its a bit of a squeeze........shelf is 39.5cm deep which is absolutely fine with the TV square and front on...but it needs to be of set by around 15 degrees to point more into the room for the Wife to watch as well.......

Last edited:
A few questions to owners of this TV:

Do you notice any dirty screen effect? I am aware about the corners being darker and can live with that but I would be upset if the middle of the screen was not uniform.

Do you ever wish you went OLED instead?

Who did you buy the TV from and are you happy with the service?

If you were having to buy another TV today, would you buy another X90J?

Can't answer your other questions but I would still buy an LCD from Richer Sounds despite of all whats going on in the OLED thread. I returned 2 TVs last year to them due to DSE and they were great. No deduction or delivery fees for the returns.
I to am now looking at this TV after considering OLED previously.

If I had to buy another TV today that would be my 4th in as many days!
I think you just have to do your homework and work to a budget. I daresay if you wait around prices will drop but then so will availability...which is what I have found in France. Our TV has gone wrong...only after 3.5 years...so I couldn't really wait.......I think coming from a 2017 LG medium tier TV is going to see vast improvements...I hope! If I had to compare to last years Sony...then I daresay it would be harder to compare.

All I want for the moment to last alot longer than my 2017 LG....

Courage!

M

Do you notice any dirty screen effect? I am aware about the corners being darker and can live with that but I would be upset if the middle of the screen was not uniform.

Hi
I own the x94j. The panel is really clean. No dse. As for darker corners that is a standard thing with all fald tvs. It's not so much a question of if you will get it, but more of a question of being lucky and getting something that is minimal. You get used to it because it really is a non issue in real world content. You need to run test patterns to see these kind of things. Plus as months go by and you 'work' the panel, it does tend to get better.
As for oled, it has the same issue for oled panels, which is usually vertical banding. Again it's stuff you usually only notice in test patterns and not real world content. As for the dillema. It is very simple. If you consume media that is always dark like movies like Alien or games like Resident Evil then obviously and oled has the upper hand due to brightness. If you watch content that has large areas of brightness in big windows like watching animation or films with many vivd daylight scenes, or videogames like Witcher during sunny daytime in the game, then Led tvs clearly have the upper hand since they just pump much more brightness out. Fact. So pick your poison. Black level or brightness. This particular tv has a good balance between the two. I personally just don't like oled because they just can't pump out enough light for specific types of content i watch, but on the other hand this tv does the best it can with black levels and the fald system for good dark room viewing. Plus it's now at a good price to have. I would not choose another tv. I get 50 inch tvs and tbh sony is one of the few companies at least here in Europe that doesn't downgrade 50 inch tvs compared to other companies. Just pick your poison based on your viewing criteria. Also if viewing angles are important for you, then oled is a better choice i think.

Hi
I own the x94j. The panel is really clean. No dse. As for darker corners that is a standard thing with all fald tvs. It's not so much a question of if you will get it, but more of a question of being lucky and getting something that is minimal. You get used to it because it really is a non issue in real world content. You need to run test patterns to see these kind of things. Plus as months go by and you 'work' the panel, it does tend to get better.
As for oled, it has the same issue for oled panels, which is usually vertical banding. Again it's stuff you usually only notice in test patterns and not real world content. As for the dillema. It is very simple. If you consume media that is always dark like movies like Alien or games like Resident Evil then obviously an oled has the upper hand due to black level and no blooming whatsoever. If you watch content that has large areas of brightness in big windows (20-30-40-50% all the way up to full field) like watching animation or films with many vivid daylight scenes, or videogames like Witcher during sunny daytime in the game, then Led tvs clearly have the upper hand since they just pump much more brightness out. Fact. So pick your poison. Black level or brightness. This particular tv has a good balance between the two. I personally just don't like oled because they just can't pump out enough light for specific types of content i watch, but on the other hand this tv does the best it can with black levels and the fald system for good dark room viewing. Plus it's now at a good price to have. I would not choose another tv. I get 50 inch tvs and tbh sony is one of the few companies at least here in Europe that doesn't downgrade 50 inch tvs compared to other companies. Just pick your poison based on your viewing criteria. Also if viewing angles are important for you, then oled is a better choice i guess.

No, my panel is clean. with only the corners you already know about (not really noticeable to me with normal viewing)

No, too much to play on my mind (screen burn)

Richer Sounds. Delivered quickly and efficiently (2 fellas)

I would buy the same tv again (50").

Btw, if anyone has been using an external usb hdd and unplugging it willy-nilly like I have, there is a storage eject option under Settings-->System-->Storage-->[name of]USB drive-->Eject.

Btw, if anyone has been using an external usb hdd and unplugging it willy-nilly like I have, there is a storage eject option under Settings-->System-->Storage-->[name of]USB drive-->Eject.
Exciting news! What the maximum g's for the hard drive on our machines? Been looking at some of the Apps and see they have Kodi...I have this on a separate Vero 4k media streamer and have a few ripped dvd 4k stuff on a 1TB hard drive attached to it...guess I can go direct now?! Endless fun!

Exciting news! What the maximum g's for the hard drive on our machines? Been looking at some of the Apps and see they have Kodi...I have this on a separate Vero 4k media streamer and have a few ripped dvd 4k stuff on a 1TB hard drive attached to it...guess I can go direct now?! Endless fun!

Reading about external drives with tv's and seems to be a bit of a minefield tbh.

I have a 1tb drive formatted using mbr/ntfs, and it works fine. I also have a 4tb and 5tb formatted using GPT/ntfs. One is only partly readable (by the tv) and the other isn't at all. From reading those articles, I might try formatting them to mbr and split into partitions of less than 2tb, to see if that works.

Wondering if my new Sony remote can control my Foxsat Humax T2 as well as Cambridge Audio amp....are these remotes programmable?

Cheers,
M

Last edited:
From Monday it is going to be £1200. I can only fit 55" in my space so hoping that gets a big drop soon too
I seen that on hukd and managed to get RS to price match despite the deal not being live yet. As I was saving 300 compared to the usual RS price I ordered the Yamaha Yas-207 soundbar to go with it.

Should be here next week.

I'm coming from a 2017 LGB7 Oled which has been an excellent TV until it suffered screen burn. I know it won't be as deep blacks as the Oled but I just can't be doing with babysitting my panel anymore .

Anyone used the Bravia Core for movies yet? Just wondering out loud how my maxi 8mb connection is going to work it.........seems good in principal but limited to those with much faster connections...unless I am reading it wrong......

M

The Costco price today is pushing me to order this model and the fact that the news last week about a system update that will enable Auto HDR Tone Mapping and Auto Genre Picture Mode when connected to a PS5.
My issue is I took the wife into Currys yesterday to see it in the flesh but it had the worst picture in the row, it wouldn't play anything but the generic in store advert but compared to the TV's next to it on both sides (Samsung QLED and last years Sony A8 OLED) it was very pixelated and washed out, now she has seen this she thinks thats what we will get as a picture.
Everything i have read or watched about the X90 always said standard SD and HD should be great if not amazing?

The Costco price today is pushing me to order this model and the fact that the news last week about a system update that will enable Auto HDR Tone Mapping and Auto Genre Picture Mode when connected to a PS5.
My issue is I took the wife into Currys yesterday to see it in the flesh but it had the worst picture in the row, it wouldn't play anything but the generic in store advert but compared to the TV's next to it on both sides (Samsung QLED and last years Sony A8 OLED) it was very pixelated and washed out, now she has seen this she thinks thats what we will get as a picture.
Everything i have read or watched about the X90 always said standard SD and HD should be great if not amazing?
I received the 65” version of the 90J on Saturday and very pleased with the picture in all formats. Still experimenting with settings, but it was good straight out of the box. Certainly have not seen any of the issues you describe from your visit to Curry’s. I used to use Curry’s to assess the picture quality of TV’s but, since flat panels have become the norm, tend to rely on reviews more. With the number of adjustments you can make to the displayed image on these panels a perfectly good TV can end up looking terrible.

I received the 65” version of the 90J on Saturday and very pleased with the picture in all formats. Still experimenting with settings, but it was good straight out of the box. Certainly have not seen any of the issues you describe from your visit to Curry’s. I used to use Curry’s to assess the picture quality of TV’s but, since flat panels have become the norm, tend to rely on reviews more. With the number of adjustments you can make to the displayed image on these panels a perfectly good TV can end up looking terrible.
Thanks for the answer I knew it would be fine but just wanted reassurance I was picking the right set, taken the plunge now and ordered the Costco deal.

Just picked up my TV this afternoon...man the difference between this and my old LG is night and day...hardly had time to play with it....Wife away all day tomorrow so will have a good peep then.....but in the 1 hour I had to play with it normal TV is excellent, my 4k videos on Vero 4k and Youtube 4k stuff is outstanding...Netflix great...
Just one question...I wanted to know on each stream/input I have what quality the picture is...I know it upscales stuff but on my old LG I pressed the 'info' button and it would tell me what the exact stream quality is...eg. 1080p......etc.....I press the info on Netflix and I can see the input quality stream but not on other inputs like my Vero 4k or Humax Satellite TV for example.

Thanks...sure I'll have a few more questions coming up.....

M

Last edited:
Just picked up my TV this afternoon...man the difference between this and my old LG is night and day...hardly had time to play with it....Wife away all day tomorrow so will have a good peep then.....but in the 1 hour I had to play with it normal TV is excellent, my 4k videos on Vero 4k and Youtube 4k stuff is outstanding...Netflix great...
Just one question...I wanted to know on each stream/input I have what quality the picture is...I know it upscales stuff but on my old LG I pressed the 'info' button and it would tell me what the exact stream quality is...eg. 1080p......etc.....I press the info on Netflix and I can see the input quality stream but not on other inputs like my Vero 4k or Humax Satellite TV for example.

Thanks...sure I'll have a few more questions coming up.....

M
Press Display button on remote, it will display the current resolution of the siginal.

Press Display button on remote, it will display the current resolution of the siginal.
Had a good play today....

So, disclaimer alert...my previous TV was an LG from 2017 and clearly has gone wrong...just in case I am too glowing....

Assembley pretty easy and metal feet feel solid. Connections easy to put in though shame there isn't an easy access HDMI one for stuff you connect every so often.

Remote.....for a device that costs €1200 and once set up you will not have to touch the TV the only thing that you do touch is the remote to connect to your lovely new state of the art Sony TV and it feels very average. A nice weighty metal thing of glory would have been lovely...not some cheap plastic wand. Buttons are fine but guess we shall have to see how long these all last as I am only on day 2!

Picture out of the box is amazeballs. Full stop. Not much more to say on that as remember I am comparing it to my old LG tv...which is pants. Standard is excellent...Vivid is ...well just that...and can't see why you would want those bright colours!

Apps are good, especially Youtube...4k is a feast...no other surprises really...other than when I tried to stick my spare satellite lead into the TV and loads of channels pooped up...so that's a bonus.

Bravia Core looks good but with my speed being 7 mbps is pretty useless as it states you need 80 mbps..I have tried a few free movies but it just buffers after 30 seconds...shame you can't download them onto your local TV and watch at your leisure...like a downloaded protected Spotify song....but tbh there is not a lot I would watch anyway and unsure where the platform is going..

So, thats it for the moment.

It's a great visual TV for the picture. Time will tell if it continues to be so...but our other older smaller Bravia is 11 years old and still going strong...so hopefully its bigger brother will do the same!

Over and out!

M

Last edited:
Had a good play today....

Picture out of the box is amazeballs. Full stop. Not much more to say on that as remember I am comparing it to my old LG tv...which is pants. Standard is excellent...Vivid is ...well just that...and can't see why you would want those bright colours!

M

I also disabled 'live colour' (in standard mode) which made it look more realistic again, (which I prefer).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom