Sony X90J X94J LED LCD TV Owners Thread

Quick question re the X90J Vs X94J.....

Apart from the stand, is everything else the same, e.g. same Bezel etc?

Thanks!

Gareth

Quick question re the X90J Vs X94J.....

Apart from the stand, is everything else the same, e.g. same Bezel etc?

Thanks!

Gareth
Hi.
Yes apart from the fact x94j is a bit higher specked when it comes to color with some extra tech.

Hello all,

Having an issue with sound cutting out intermittently when using inbuilt streaming apps on the X90J (Disney, Netflix etc).

Setup is as follows:
X90J ----ARC---> Yamaha RX-V6A

Last time I fixed it with a force quit of the Netflix app but no go this time.
Not sure if receiver, ARC, or apps causing the problem.

Any whizzes out there have a hand to give?

Thanks.

Have you got a link to info about this? I thought it was just the stand
Go to the sony uk website and under each tv click the full specification. When it comes to color enhancement tech you will see that the x94j has an extra 'rich color enhancer' compared to the x90j that doesn't.

Go to the sony uk website and under each tv click the full specification. When it comes to color enhancement tech you will see that the x94j has an extra 'rich color enhancer' compared to the x90j that doesn't.
Thank you very much. Seems it is worth it considering they are the same price

Still no Iplayer or All4, but I did add My5 no problem. I guess its the same at the minute for all a 2021 models (being a license thing). Have to say this tv's upscaling ability impresses me more and more. I recently got a free 6mths of Britbox and have been casting it from a tablet (since no tv app yet), and it works flawlessly. Assuming that a 70s' series like All Creatures Great & Small is in SD, the upscale looks excellent (50" model).

Last edited:
I have a question about when you use the "set up an external device" setting on this TV and there is an option for HFR.. should I be selecting this option especially for my PS5? Sorry if it's a dumb question but these options tend to confuse me.

I have a question about when you use the "set up an external device" setting on this TV and there is an option for HFR.. should I be selecting this option especially for my PS5? Sorry if it's a dumb question but these options tend to confuse me.

I don't own a console but I assume as the PS5 supports HDR, you'd definitely want that option selected.

Can’t stand the use of acronyms for tech - there are too many with similar lettering ..,so just to be clear; is that HFR as in High Frame Rate, or HDR as in High Dynamic Range?

Can’t stand the use of acronyms for tech - there are too many with similar lettering ..,so just to be clear; is that HFR as in High Frame Rate, or HDR as in High Dynamic Range?
High Frame Rate yes. I'd presume I'd need to select it for my PS5 with it being able to run 120hz games?

Is this the way Sony are getting 120fps gaming as they don’t support VRR yet?
In the end I set up the HDMI ports myself instead of letting the TV set it up. You can do that by going to the External inputs settings and choosing the HDMI signal format option.

I have my PS5 in HDMI 3 so I just selected Enhanced format and got 120 fps on my PS5 I presume if I'd have chosen the HFR option letting the TV set up the port it would have just set it to the same thing if that makes any sense at all lol.

TV's are becoming more like PC's these days and as a tech noob I struggle to set things up as they should be but I managed it just about.

Been playing the new F1 game and Borderlands 3 in 120 fps this morning and its glorious.

Been looking at this TV as it is physically available in the shops rather than a remote on line retailer...

Question: is it similar/better than the Sony 49XH9505 recommended on here? I view mainly 1080p and Netflix 3m away in a semi bright room during the day but dark at night.
Thank you.
M

Last edited:
Been looking at this TV as it is physically available in the shops rather than a remote on line retailer...

Question: is it similar/better than the Sony 49XH9505 recommended on here? I view mainly 1080p and Netflix 3m away in a semi bright room during the day but dark at night.
Thank you.
M
Hi.
This is exactly the tv I had and sold it for the x94j 50 inch variant. I won't lie. If this is the content you watch then the xr processor really works wonders in upscaling 1080p content. I have said so before in these threads. It really makes streaming look like you are watching from physical media. That type of quality. Having said that I would upgrade only if I sold my tv and didn't have to invest more than 200-300 euro top. In absolute numbers it doesn't get as bright and sometimes in bright rooms you can tell, but it still gets plenty bright especially for semi lit rooms or dark room viewing. In dark room viewing it is a better experience than the xh95 because it has better local dimming and you get less distracting light bleeding (not that you don't get any at all but it is improved in relation to the xh95)

Hi.
This is exactly the tv I had and sold it for the x94j 50 inch variant. I won't lie. If this is the content you watch then the xr processor really works wonders in upscaling 1080p content. I have said so before in these threads. It really makes streaming look like you are watching from physical media. That type of quality. Having said that I would upgrade only if I sold my tv and didn't have to invest more than 200-300 euro top. In absolute numbers it doesn't get as bright and sometimes in bright rooms you can tell, but it still gets plenty bright especially for semi lit rooms or dark room viewing. In dark room viewing it is a better experience than the xh95 because it has better local dimming and you get less distracting light bleeding (not that you don't get any at all but it is improved in relation to the xh95)
Well, thanks for detailed reply. Looks like I'll be looking for the XR50X0J then! I'm in France and prices here are consistent at €1290 at the moment and hopefully they will come down at some point. Strangely the 55" is the same price https://www.darty.com/nav/recherche/sony-xr50x90j.html

Other than the size increase of 5" of the 55 v 50 any other differences?

Having cocked up in buying my very average LG 49UJ651V almost 8 years ago, which now has about 18 led lights showing in the background now, my dear Wife reminds me almost every day how our old Sony Bravia is still so much better. At least if I just go for the Sony brand there is less of a minefield.

Cheers,

M

Last edited:
Well, thanks for detailed reply. Looks like I'll be looking for the XR50X0J then! I'm in France and prices here are consistent at €1290 at the moment and hopefully they will come down at some point. Strangely the 55" is the same price https://www.darty.com/nav/recherche/sony-xr50x90j.html

Other than the size increase of 5" of the 55 v 50 any other differences?

Having cocked up in buying my very average LG 49UJ651V almost 8 years ago, which now has about 18 led lights showing in the background now, my dear Wife reminds me almost every day how our old Sony Bravia is still so much better. At least if I just go for the Sony brand there is less of a minefield.

Cheers,

M
Hi
I am from Greece. I assume what applies for us applies for you due to EU. If you can get the x93/94j (it's one model). It's the same price as the x90j and has a better premium stand and an extra color enrichment tech based on the spec sheet on the site at least.
I know that 55 inches at least for the model i have (x93/94j) has the two position stand for narrow and wider spaces, but the 50 inch variant has only one stand position and it is the wide one.

Last edited:
Currently this tv is £954 from Richer Sounds. What do you the owners think? I know the Samsung QN range are supposed to be slightly better but the dropouts on the 95 and 94 only having 1 hdmi 2.1 output is putting me off! I am coming from an old 1080p tv

Just pulled the trigger on a

XR50X90J​

50" 4K UHD.

Having almost bought a Sony 49XH9505 from Amazon.de and to then be told it was no longer in stock despite it saying so I was then led to a Panasonic 55HZ980 which falsely claims it is 100 Hz and not the 50 Hz that it actually is...not that I would probably notice anyway...but after discussing it with my Wife (properly this time) we thought 3rd time lucky would be better and TBH 55" was going to look a bit odd on our TV shelf with all the other stuff around, so pulled for the Sony 50"....which was 1st on the list anyway back in the day...
So thats it, thought I would let you know that I will be joining you! No doubt the prices of the X90J will tumble overnight........but I suppose at least I will have one.

Cheers,
M

Just one question...before my TV arrives......how wide are the feet for the stand please? Having read even more about it I have leaned that on the 50" the feet are non adjustable and on the end of the TV.....my viewing shelf is 39cm deep and it needs to sit at 20 degrees ....so the Wife can view it as well...:)

Thanks,

M

Just one question...before my TV arrives......how wide are the feet for the stand please? Having read even more about it I have leaned that on the 50" the feet are non adjustable and on the end of the TV.....my viewing shelf is 39cm deep and it needs to sit at 20 degrees ....so the Wife can view it as well...:)

Thanks,

M

Width between the feet is approx 66.5cm. Depth of feet is approx 28.6cm.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom