Sony X90J X94J LED LCD TV Owners Thread

I own the X94J and have been happy with it. I upgraded from the X900H which is now in my bedroom. I only comment by eye but I've not noticed any problems mentioned on the previous page. It seems to do a lot of things better than my X900H, having smooth gradation back is really nice and HDR brightness seems a decent bit brighter than it was on my X900H. Not noticed any major motion issues unless you crank the clearness to high which introduces some artifacts, blooming is fine for me it is what you would expect from a mid range LCD. Dolby vision looks great as do Blu-rays and gaming is a joy so I'm happy. Negatives would be build quality it isn't as great as previous sets but its not exactly going to fall apart and sound isn't great it is a bit tinny to be honest but most people run sound bars anyway which I do so its a non issue. I would ask if anyone has SKYQ and this TV would you let the SKYQ box upscale or set it to 1080i and let the TV do it instead? no regrets about my purchase and hopefully a few more owners arrive in the thread over the coming weeks.

I said, compared to a x90f, this one is a lot worse.
After 3+ years, one would expect some upgrades, not the opposite.

Maybe about uniformity, but overall, what i mentioned has nothing to do with panel lottery.

Are you saying the XF9005 is better than the X94J? If that is the case you must have got a seriously faulty television. The XF9005 is a great television but it's not as good as this one.

I own the X94J and have been happy with it. I upgraded from the X900H which is now in my bedroom. I only comment by eye but I've not noticed any problems mentioned on the previous page. It seems to do a lot of things better than my X900H, having smooth gradation back is really nice and HDR brightness seems a decent bit brighter than it was on my X900H. Not noticed any major motion issues unless you crank the clearness to high which introduces some artifacts, blooming is fine for me it is what you would expect from a mid range LCD. Dolby vision looks great as do Blu-rays and gaming is a joy so I'm happy. Negatives would be build quality it isn't as great as previous sets but its not exactly going to fall apart and sound isn't great it is a bit tinny to be honest but most people run sound bars anyway which I do so its a non issue. I would ask if anyone has SKYQ and this TV would you let the SKYQ box upscale or set it to 1080i and let the TV do it instead? no regrets about my purchase and hopefully a few more owners arrive in the thread over the coming weeks.
I was deliberately watching an old poor picture quality James Martin show last night on a Q box to see what gave the best picture . Think the Q box won for doing the upscaling but need to try a few more settings .

I would be suspicious of an account that has only posted twice and both posts have been critical of a certain model .
thats why i created account here....to ask others if they face same "issues" with this particular model.
as i said-netflix(apart from dolby vision) and sat box looks very noisy and grainy, can say awful but 4k/8k clips from youtube and downloaded demos play from pendrive looks fantastic although grainess is present everywhere
but thing i notice everyrhi g is size and distance -65inch from around 2m sofa.

thats why i created account here....to ask others if they face same "issues" with this particular model.
as i said-netflix(apart from dolby vision) and sat box looks very noisy and grainy, can say awful but 4k/8k clips from youtube and downloaded demos play from pendrive looks fantastic although grainess is present everywhere
but thing i notice everyrhi g is size and distance -65inch from around 2m sofa.
What picture settings are you using ?

Are you saying the XF9005 is better than the X94J? If that is the case you must have got a seriously faulty television. The XF9005 is a great television but it's not as good as this one.

Sure you are not getting confused with the x95J? judging by the specs there isn't actually much in it with some important areas (gamut,HDR brightness) actually going to the older set

What picture settings are you using ?
for sat box standard, netflix and other streaming services custom. for sdr local dimming off all contrast enchancers off.
i noticed another thing-watching football picture dimming itself with all options like local dimming or light sensor off and thats is really annoying.

for sat box standard, netflix and other streaming services custom. for sdr local dimming off all contrast enchancers off.
i noticed another thing-watching football picture dimming itself with all options like local dimming or light sensor off and thats is really annoying.
And what settings is your sat box on ?

And what settings is your sat box on ?
so best picture is on 1080p auto hz recognition, 2160p looks just bad and 1080i look blurry like 480p, 4k channels look great but again -grain. i noticed yestwrday that netflix dolby vision has agressive auto dimming whan localdimming and peak luminence on:(
only content which is perfect are few demos from pendrive or few clips from youtube although many videos on youtube are grainy while on old tv look bit more blurry but without grain.
im trying to find another reason for that- maybe router causes som problem as its straingt behind tv or power extender lead as 5 devices connected to that and might getting lower power flow?
One more thing-how tv should be boxed-mine from currys was strapped but bottom was like cut around and slide off straight away after cutting straps i mean wasnt closed and siled

so best picture is on 1080p auto hz recognition, 2160p looks just bad and 1080i look blurry like 480p, 4k channels look great but again -grain. i noticed yestwrday that netflix dolby vision has agressive auto dimming whan localdimming and peak luminence on:(
only content which is perfect are few demos from pendrive or few clips from youtube although many videos on youtube are grainy while on old tv look bit more blurry but without grain.
im trying to find another reason for that- maybe router causes som problem as its straingt behind tv or power extender lead as 5 devices connected to that and might getting lower power flow?
One more thing-how tv should be boxed-mine from currys was strapped but bottom was like cut around and slide off straight away after cutting straps i mean wasnt closed and siled
Try these

Should get mine next week...A cetrain youtuber (quantum tv) seems to really have it in for this tv as well as bad mouthing other reviews.But ive seen nothing but good reviews on it..its replacing a 2015 Sony tv so im hoping ill notice an upgrade,

Should get mine next week...A cetrain youtuber (quantum tv) seems to really have it in for this tv as well as bad mouthing other reviews.But ive seen nothing but good reviews on it..its replacing a 2015 Sony tv so im hoping ill notice an upgrade,
I don't listen to him and am not sure why anyone does but his main criticism was awful judder which was present when the TV first launched and that was totally fixed with a firmware update very quickly after launch so at least don't be worrying about that as an issue. I'm very happy with mine so hopefully you will enjoy yours too.

I don't listen to him and am not sure why anyone does but his main criticism was awful judder which was present when the TV first launched and that was totally fixed with a firmware update very quickly after launch so at least don't be worrying about that as an issue. I'm very happy with mine so hopefully you will enjoy yours too.
Im sure I will be sir and thanks...itching to get it and input on this thread about it....

I saw the X94J 65 inch in currys today it was a sublime picture. They can install it on a centre stand as well instead of the wide stand it comes with so that would be good as I have a small table. After much research I think that’s the one I’m going to go for, Samsung are too expensive and the Sony picture was better looking in terms of colours and contrast and I still don’t fancy oled due to brightness concerns. For £1600 it seems a bargain as well compared to the many expensive TVs that are out there at the moment. Brightness, colour, contrast, 120 hz panel it looked to have everything.

The Samsung 8k not sure where they are going with them they are so expensive and I watched a Netflix clip on one of the 8ks and the picture wasn’t half as good as the Sony X94J I’d been watching.

Even comparing the X94J to the Sony oled’s the X94J looked pretty much the same picture quality, just brilliant contrast and colour.

Sony are bringing out a soundbar that has 2 hdmi 2.1 inputs that you’ll be able to plug into the earc 2.1 hdmi connector on the Sony TV so that will get around the restriction of the tv only having really one hdmi 2.1 input as well

Last edited:
Just to let you all know that today i exchanged my x94 and i did good thing as probably cpu was faulty thats why i had excesive grain and stutters. now picture quality is wayyyyy better

Last edited:
Got a god damn thunderbug/fly whatever you call it stuck in the screen. Ughhh I sit far enough away that I have to really look for it to notice it but knowing it is there is just so annoying. I will try the suction cup trick when I purchase 1 in the feint hope it will work but I doubt it.

Got a god damn thunderbug/fly whatever you call it stuck in the screen. Ughhh I sit far enough away that I have to really look for it to notice it but knowing it is there is just so annoying. I will try the suction cup trick when I purchase 1 in the feint hope it will work but I doubt it.

Sometimes if you leave them to dry out and then gently tap the screen they fall down. Sony do provide warranty cover for insects in the screen.

Had my XR50X90J for about a month now and it ticks all the boxes I needed it to, from good to excellent upscaling of SD material (mostly old tv series & films on TPTV), through to streaming Sky F1 through a pc (using their desktop player app on Win10). Had my doubts with the basic looking cable tidies, but they work surprisingly well (6 cables and counting). Happy owner.

i have this tv and i watch 6underground on netflix 4k the plane scenes is beautful in vivid mode.im debathing to get the oled lg c1 or keep it.

Hi all. I have the 50 inch x94j since May when it first came out and here is my opinion after owning a 49 inch xh95.

1) Regarding the stand with which the op began. Yes the 50 inch does not officially support the inverted position. I to tried the inverted position and while they do click there is a small rubber bump in the feet that does not quite fit in the inverted position and thus the tv just doesn't seem to sit correctly. It is possible but it does not seem to be correct for the 50 inch version. The stand should just be in it's natural edge of the tv positioning.

2) Compared to the x90j. I am from Greece and in the official tv prospect it has added 'color enrichment technology'. This is not a 'typo' like some people have suggested. This variant does indeed offer just some better spec compared to the x90j along with the more premium stand.

3) Screen uniformity. I have seen some posts regarding dse. My unit has non. The only issue it has is some mild vigneting in the edges but this is common for led tv's that are fald. Both xh95 units i had last year (one for me one for parents had it) and almost all led tv's have it. It doesn't affect real world viewing. In the same way that oled technology can have some vertical banding-image retention issues but usually all this stuff you need to be looking for it to find it and in specific solid colors mainly in test patterns. Not real world content. In all honesty it is the sort of thing you will not notice until someone points it out exactly. 2 of my friends with oled have seen the tv and never noticed anything.

4) Image quality. I will only comment on blu ray-4k blu ray-Netflix-Bravia core and gaming since this is my use case.
Blu ray is almost reference level. I use the imax enhanced mode and in pitch black conditions with some mild adjustments and backlight set to logical sdr brightness (like 15-20) we are talking reference level material. This tv has an extremely high native contrast and the best local dimming feature sony has ever had mainly due to the xr processor and how it distributes light across the panel. The tv just seems really capable on how to darken specific areas of a scene and highlight small highlights thus creating an amazing contrast. I think people just aren't giving this processor the credit it deserves. I have never seen sdr blurays seem this good in my life. Also on sdr mode you never have light bleeding since you always turn the backlight down to normal conditions. When it comes to upscaling 1080p images it is by far the best tv i have ever seen. The tv seems to do some sort of edge enhancement that really works without producing noise. The upscaling is amazing and makes Netflix seem way better than a usual 1080p upscale would. Clarity is the key word here.
When it comes to 4k blurays more or less the same. Extreme blacks very capable 1-2-5% highlights for a very impressive picture. And with no light bleeding on the black bars which for me was the only complaint i had on my xh95. At times light bleeding was really bad especially in films like Alien and Blade Runner were the small text would ignite all the screen. Here the local diming does a much better job at controlling light bleeding compared to the xh95 and it is mostly on hdr films youu notice that. Ok it is not ideal, but let us not forget this discussion is always within the context of an optimal fald led tv viewing experience.
Gaming i will not even comment. If you are a gamer and own an xbox series x like me or s or ps5 the inclusion of 2.1 is just a must. You can set 4k with 120hz for the best possible motion clarity and input lag and you are set to go. On game mode in hdr i set it to brightness preffered since it's games which are pop more than accurate any way so it is nicer (maybe a bit more inaccurate) but i don't think games really matter that much in absolute picture realism.
Lastly the focal point xr processor thing is not a gimmick. This processor is still a work in progress and will received updates, but it does enhance the part of the screen that is considered to be the focal point you focus on, and adds an extra layer of clarity, thus almost giving a 3d pop quality to the image (but not on all content and not always it still needs work), but when it works it is amazing. The bravia core thing is interesting since it gives highest quality streaming with hdr also. It is not anything important on content but has nice hdr on the films it does and has very good 1080p or 4k picture if you can support 4k via your streaming and internet speed.
Is it worth if you have an xh95? For me yes. It fixed the one main gripe i had with that tv which is light bleeding in some cases in 4k blu ray and the new processor seems to add that extra value. In terms of absolute brightness for hdr it is not as high but it has a much higher contrast and the processor places the highlights in a very intelligent way as to make up for that drawback via the gradient hdr tone mapping. With my xh95 i always felt like it is lacking that small thing to make it an ideal dark room experience (for fald standards again), and i think this tv has it. If you can find it for 1000-1100 then it is worth it. For 1500-1600 which was the launch price no, but as i see pricess for the 50 inch and 55 inch have now come down to 1000-1100

Last edited:
A bit disappointed to find out I couldn't pause live tv with a memory stick attached. I do have a Humax pvr, but still would have been a handy feature to have built in to the tv.

A bit disappointed to find out I couldn't pause live tv with a memory stick attached. I do have a Humax pvr, but still would have been a handy feature to have built in to the tv.
Yeah I was surprised by that too. I don't ever really remember using it on my previous TV, but it was handy knowing it was there if I ever needed it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom