Sony X90J X94J LED LCD TV Owners Thread

SpeccyBoy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I received my X94J last week and so far I'm delighted with it (I was on a 400quid TV before though, so anything would be a big step up!)

Couple of questions before I see if I can get anything out of Sony Support:

1. I've seen promo images of the TV with the stand legs in the middle (rather than the corners). There's no mention of this in the instruction pamphlet, and whilst it looks like you can swap the legs over, there's a rubber blocker screwed and glued into the legs that gets in the way and the TV sits awkwardly with that in place. Is anyone using that set-up?
  2. I have my (Sony STR-DH550) amplifier connected over ARC, and for some reason I can lower the volume (or mute it) using the TV remote, but I cannot increase the volume. The volume worked fine when connected to my LG telly. Is anyone else having issues?

Is this the successor to Xh95 or would that be X95j? Really interested in this TV but dissapointed that X95j is only available at 65" £2200.

Just pulled the trigger on the x90j delivery expected 26th..anyone got one ? if so thoughts ? and care to share your settings ?

I got the 65" set. Tbh, coming from a x90f, this was a downgrade.

It feels cheap, hdr performance is worse, less dimming zones and what made me return it, uniformity, really dirty screen.

Also, only 2gb left of free space?? Is it that expensive to throw in 32gb at least?

What’s the difference between the 90 and 94?
According to the Sony website the X94 has "Rich Color Enhancer" which the X90 does not, but are otherwise identical apart from the stand.

I suspect that the Color Enhancer is a typo (or is on the X90 too) and the only real difference is the stand, but 🤷‍♂️

I actually think its the 2021 update off the x900h in the u.s. I have the 65" x90j and its brilliant.

Yep, it's the 2021 update of the XH9005 ( X900H in the US)..... supposedly added a co-processor for the 55-75" models, giving it the Cognitive Processor XR capabilities. The 85” is the X91J and is the same as the X900H/XH9005, with the same X1 processing capability.

The X95J is the 2021 evolution of the X950H/XH9500......but pretty sure they all use the same chipset now anyway. Hey with this is the X-Wide filter I believe.

I received my X94J last week and so far I'm delighted with it (I was on a 400quid TV before though, so anything would be a big step up!)

Couple of questions before I see if I can get anything out of Sony Support:

1. I've seen promo images of the TV with the stand legs in the middle (rather than the corners). There's no mention of this in the instruction pamphlet, and whilst it looks like you can swap the legs over, there's a rubber blocker screwed and glued into the legs that gets in the way and the TV sits awkwardly with that in place. Is anyone using that set-up?
  2. I have my (Sony STR-DH550) amplifier connected over ARC, and for some reason I can lower the volume (or mute it) using the TV remote, but I cannot increase the volume. The volume worked fine when connected to my LG telly. Is anyone else having issues?
What size have you got ? The 50" doesn't have the multi position .

Just pulled the trigger on the x90j delivery expected 26th..anyone got one ? if so thoughts ? and care to share your settings ?
I've got the X94j and am using the Rtings settings for the X90 . The brightness out of the box is a bit too high for viewing in the dark .

I got the 65" set. Tbh, coming from a x90f, this was a downgrade.

It feels cheap, hdr performance is worse, less dimming zones and what made me return it, uniformity, really dirty screen.

Also, only 2gb left of free space?? Is it that expensive to throw in 32gb at least?
This the Xj90 ? wow its getting awesome reviews...

i have had the x90j 65" for about two weeks and it is gorgeous and perfect out of the box. only change i made based on a few online suggestions was from standard to custom. otherwise, nothing needed. what is truly exceptional is watching old 30s and 40s b&w movies on youtube. like being in a theater.

So bit of explanation-x90j and x94j exactly same model apart from stand-in 94j you have 2way stand position.
In terms of this model quality:
-uniformity,local dimmimg ect-perfect and not big but some upgrade from x95h model
-new cpu-at this stage- terrible-i was about to return unit because 2 reasons(but i didnt as thoseboroblems seems to be in all x90j series model in UK or Us:
*new cpu tries tooooo much to upscale content less than 4k res-terrible picture grain on streaming apps or tv box-apart from 4k/dv content-just intended grain noticible
*motion-seriously!!!-for smooth football watching you need decent sat box with good 4k upscaler, otherwise football looks like recorded in 24/30 fps. with streaming apps sport seems to be better when motion option turned off.
Overall stutters/judders in this units are terrible as grainess but hopefully sony sorts that out soon via updates..

So bit of explanation-x90j and x94j exactly same model apart from stand-in 94j you have 2way stand position.
In terms of this model quality:
-uniformity,local dimmimg ect-perfect and not big but some upgrade from x95h model
-new cpu-at this stage- terrible-i was about to return unit because 2 reasons(but i didnt as thoseboroblems seems to be in all x90j series model in UK or Us:
*new cpu tries tooooo much to upscale content less than 4k res-terrible picture grain on streaming apps or tv box-apart from 4k/dv content-just intended grain noticible
*motion-seriously!!!-for smooth football watching you need decent sat box with good 4k upscaler, otherwise football looks like recorded in 24/30 fps. with streaming apps sport seems to be better when motion option turned off.
Overall stutters/judders in this units are terrible as grainess but hopefully sony sorts that out soon via updates..
Is the x90j a terrible tv ? feeling a little nervous now lol just pulled the trigger on one lol...

Is the x90j a terrible tv ? feeling a little nervous now lol just pulled the trigger on one lol...
I really like my X94 ! Thought the GP on Sky last weekend looked great . No problems with motion .

I really like my X94 ! Thought the GP on Sky last weekend looked great . No problems with motion .
I mean for movies and hdr ect..I dont watch sport

is not its a great unit but...picture noisiness/grain spoils everything and sometimes bad motion. im considering now exchange my unit as is really bad..or maybe x90j and x94j are not exactly same panels as sony claims....x90j -motion options-cinemotion, in x94j cinemotion is called film mode, for now im doing more tests, but even pc conected to this tv(i9,rtx2080) via hdmi 4 in enchamced mode looks terrible(lack of that quality,crisp picture what i had even im my old ks7 or jvc) but it does 4k 120hz which is good

Last edited:
is not its a great unit but...picture noisiness/grain spoils everything and sometimes bad motion. im considering now exchange my unit as is really bad..or maybe x90j and x94j are not exactly same panels as sony claims....x90j -motion options-cinemotion, in x94j cinemotion is called film mode, for now im doing more tests, but even pc conected to this tv(i9,rtx2080) via hdmi 4 in enchamced mode looks terrible(lack of that quality,crisp picture what i had even im my old ks7 or jvc) but it does 4k 120hz which is good
jesus im worried about this set now :(

jesus im worried about this set now :(
ok i need to take few things back:
4k loseless demos from pendrive just blown me away, blu ray movies just perfect, youtube-when tv connected via ethernet is just perfect.
hasnt test console yet but gaming via pc isnt ok-terrble stutters but tv does even 370fps according to riva tuner stats on my pc. just need to find setting which causing stutterd

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom