Sony X90J X94J LED LCD TV Owners Thread

is there a thread for X95J
I am looking for Calibration settings for the TV and have tough time finding them

I don't think so, however I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on this TV as I don't have anywhere close to view it in person and would like to give the 65 inch version a go, I am especially interested in whether you can see a visible grid on any content as it appears some 85 inch and 75 inch versions have this in the US but from anecdotal reports the 65 seems much better.

Perhaps create a new owners thread, I may even join it :)

Can anyone tell me if there is an option to turn off power to the USB ports? I have a govee light on the back of the TV powered by the USB port, but it is still powering the light when the TV is off

I need help deciding between this or the LG 65NANO916PA any help?

I’ve found in the UK at least, that LG tend to move on to the next project ASAP and once a newer model whatever is launched, they don’t offer support for the previous model for too long afterwards. Good luck with whatever you choose.

When can we expect the VRR update for our TV's and is there any hope our version will be a bit better than the X900H VRR that has local dimming disabled while using it?

Tried a few android games from the tv and been pleasantly surprised (all new to me). Only problem I've had is with my old xbox 360 controller. It worked right away using it's wireless dongle, but the gamepad xbox logo flashes all the time, even after it's finished pairing.

Also downloaded the moonlight (game streaming app,) connected to the pc upstairs (via ethernet network) and played a number of games from Steam and the Epic launcher, with little discernible lag (though I don't play competitively)

For SDR content what is preferable for PEAK LUMINANCE setting.
I turned it off, but might engage it again.

Hi all, thinking of picking up this TV in the next couple of days after doing some research. My main worries form what I’ve read is the motion problems. I watch a lot of NFL and football and had a tv a few years ago where when the football was kicked it had white smudges coming off it and players and ball looked a bit fuzzy. I am assuming that this being 100/120Hz, I won’t see any of that and sports will be clear etc?

Does anyone know if there’s any differences in the 50” and 55” (haven’t decided what one I’m getting yet) models as have heard about some other TVs being downgraded a bit on the smaller sizes eg not as many speakers etc.

Many thanks

Hi Andy.
I own this TV (55 ich) a week now. I am not happy with the Football (soccer) picture. Its ok in zoom ins but in a zoomed out view it loses all kind of detail. I tried a lot of settings, but i guess it will not get better. But try yourself. Ask a local retailer. Here at Media Markt they offen connect a SKY Germany Set top Box to the TV if you ask for.

Hi Andy.
I own this TV (55 ich) a week now. I am not happy with the Football (soccer) picture. Its ok in zoom ins but in a zoomed out view it loses all kind of detail. I tried a lot of settings, but i guess it will not get better. But try yourself. Ask a local retailer. Here at Media Markt they offen connect a SKY Germany Set top Box to the TV if you ask for.
I’m really interested to hear this. I don’t know much tech wise about TVs etc but I just assumed football would be good due to it being 120Hz. I hope you manage to tweak it so it’s better. Have you used any of the recommended calibration settings online as seen a few of those.

Interested to hear other peoples experience of watching football/sport as well? Has anyone got any good ones?

I’m really interested to hear this. I don’t know much tech wise about TVs etc but I just assumed football would be good due to it being 120Hz. I hope you manage to tweak it so it’s better. Have you used any of the recommended calibration settings online as seen a few of those.

Interested to hear other peoples experience of watching football/sport as well? Has anyone got any good ones?
Forgot to ask is yours the 55X90J or 55X94J? I’m wondering if there is some difference between the two in this regard as generally don’t see many complaints with sport?

Hello, I've just ordered 75X90J. It will arrive on Wed, so I had a bit of time to read about this tv (and still time to change my decision if necessary) and have some questions. I know - I'm newbie and I start with questions but I will return the favor once I get the tv and get to know it. :)

1. I've seen ready calibration settings on rtings and flatpanelshd, have anyone tried them and can say anything about the result? a couple of years ago when I got my hands on Panasonic plasma I used settings from HDTVTest and the improvement in picture quality was noticeable, would that be the case with Sony as well? I understand that these settings were get from calibration of a one particular set but do individual tvs differ significantly from each other, will these settings on another item will give a comparable result?
  2. we will watch tv from 3m from the sofa 1.9m wide, 2 or 3 persons, since tv itself is 1.7m wide I guess poor viewing angle should not be a problem? I know, probably rhetorical question ;)
  3. did the latest firmware update helped to reduce blooming? I will watch a lot of movies in a rather dark room and with subtitles (dubbing is definitely not my thing), after reading this thread I started to have second thoughts
  4. I'm going to watch some high bitrate materials from dlna server (kodi on PC) via 802.11ca WiFi, my old Panasonic have problems with HD and I was wondering if new hardware will be able to cope with 4K
  5. Is apple tv application on this set able to handle up to 40Mbps?
  6. did anyone mounted 75" to the wall using dedicated Sony SU-WL450? can you access connectors without taking tv off the wall?
Thanks a lot in advance if anyone knows the answer to one of my questions and will share here.
Regards,
M

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there’s any differences in the 50” and 55” (haven’t decided what one I’m getting yet) models as have heard about some other TVs being downgraded a bit on the smaller sizes eg not as many speakers etc.

Many thanks

Identical spec, panel type (VA) etc.

I went into Richer Sounds today to have a look at the 55C90J up close. I really want to like this tv but wasn’t overly impressed with the football they put on for me. Next to it was the Samsung 55Q80A which seemed to have a much clearer picture generally. I was surprised as have read quite a lot of reviews comparing these two saying the Sony is better. Was hoping to buy today but have gone back to the drawing board!

I went into Richer Sounds today to have a look at the 55C90J up close. I really want to like this tv but wasn’t overly impressed with the football they put on for me. Next to it was the Samsung 55Q80A which seemed to have a much clearer picture generally. I was surprised as have read quite a lot of reviews comparing these two saying the Sony is better. Was hoping to buy today but have gone back to the drawing board!

Oh no thats not very comforting, I've ordered the 65" X90J due on wednesday and football/cricket is a big part of my watching habits. Having come from a 55" x850c which was great with sport you don't fill me with much confidence here!

Oh no thats not very comforting, I've ordered the 65" X90J due on wednesday and football/cricket is a big part of my watching habits. Having come from a 55" x850c which was great with sport you don't fill me with much confidence here!
Ive started looking at other options now but would appreciate your thoughts when you get yours especially once you've watched some sport. Like I said there's a lot of good reviews out there and maybe it just wasn't set up well in the shop I visited?

So...after a lot of time with the Sony x94j I have to admit that the quality of my football watching is not that bad anymore. Maybe because I got used to the look. The quality in close ups or everything else than the actual football match is very very good. But the green gras still looks not clear and detailed when the camera is moving. Same to the players faces. I´m still not 100% satisfied, but I will not return the TV anymore.
Also on Xbox Series X I switched from Dolby Vision Bright to Vivid mode. This mode is more what I expect from a game...bright and shiny colors! Dolby Vision modes are way to dark and "greyish" (?!) for gaming in my opinion.

So...after a lot of time with the Sony x94j I have to admit that the quality of my football watching is not that bad anymore. Maybe because I got used to the look. The quality in close ups or everything else than the actual football match is very very good. But the green gras still looks not clear and detailed when the camera is moving. Same to the players faces. I´m still not 100% satisfied, but I will not return the TV anymore.
Also on Xbox Series X I switched from Dolby Vision Bright to Vivid mode. This mode is more what I expect from a game...bright and shiny colors! Dolby Vision modes are way to dark and "greyish" (?!) for gaming in my opinion.
Sony TVs don't have a game mode implementation for Dolby Vision. If you have enabled Dolby Vision for games on your Xbox then you will be playing with very high input lag. You are better off sticking with 'just' HDR10 for gaming from the XSX on current Sony TVs. You will notice than in HDR10 or 'just' SDR mode, that you can set the TV to Game Mode. This Game mode is what I mean you cannot get with a DV signal.

What Motionflow settings are you using for sport on the TV? Also what do you have Reality Creation set to?

Thanks for the DV information. I loved the Dolby Vision Gaming Mode on LG C1. But maybe you are right. Better step "down" to HDR10. But I only play single player games. No online shooter or something like that.

My actual settings for Sports are copied and put together from different Calibration settings from the Internet:
Custom Mode
Auto Pic = off
Light Sensor = off

Brightness: 13
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2

Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: off
Adv. Contrast: off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
Peak Luminance: Low

Colour: 51
Hue: 0
Colour Temp: Neutral
Live Color: Off

Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation Manual
Random Noise red.: off
Digital Noise red: off
Smooth Gradation: low

Motion Flow: Custom
Smoothness: 1
Clearness: Min
Film Mode: low

Thanks for the DV information. I loved the Dolby Vision Gaming Mode on LG C1. But maybe you are right. Better step "down" to HDR10. But I only play single player games. No online shooter or something like that.

My actual settings for Sports are copied and put together from different Calibration settings from the Internet:
Custom Mode
Auto Pic = off
Light Sensor = off

Brightness: 13
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2

Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: off
Adv. Contrast: off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
Peak Luminance: Low

Colour: 51
Hue: 0
Colour Temp: Neutral
Live Color: Off

Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation Manual
Random Noise red.: off
Digital Noise red: off
Smooth Gradation: low

Motion Flow: Custom
Smoothness: 1
Clearness: Min
Film Mode: low
Try increasing Reality Creation to Max and then change it to Auto instead of Manual. On Motionflow try Smoothness at 2 or 3, Clearness 1 with Film mode High or Auto.

What is your source for sport? Do you have any HDR Sport sources? For HDR, decrease clearness to Min in the Motionflow part of the settings.

The source is the Sky Germany Set Top box. Most Content is not HDR. Only the sport highlights from time to time. will try your settings. big thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom