Sony X90J vs Samsung QN94a

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
So I'm in the market for a new 50" TV.

I use it for gaming, and while I already have an OLED, this one also doubles as a monitor for work, so I really don't want another OLED and feel like I have to babysit it. Happy to pay for the best one I can find, but 50" is really the limit on size.

What that leaves me with is pretty much just the Sony X90J or the Samsung QN94a.

I'd like the future-proofing of HDMI 2.1 features and VRR for gaming in particular, and will be using eARC to send a signal to my new soundbar (B&O Beosound Stage).

Anyway, intro waffle aside: is the extra money for the Samsung worth it? Seems madness that I can pick up any 48" OLED for at least £500 less than the 50" Sammy.

It's replacing a Samsung 49 KS8000 which has given me good service - the only reason for the upgrade is gaming and sound.

Not too worried about Dolby Vision (I have a DV OLED elsewhere in the house), but someone weigh in with a Sony vs Samsung comparison for me, as I'm torn. Sony haven't yet managed to implement VRR, and the Samsung seems to have a slight edge in picture quality from what I can gather - but is it worth the extra wonga?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Those are just newly launched TVs and at their most expensive price. This time next year they'll be near half that.

Look to a Samsung Q with a T as the suffix rather than A or a Sony XH rather than XJ, they're 2020 models and near their lowest price as they've been replaced.

Dodgexander

Its not a good idea to consider new 2021 models yet unless you want to over pay.

It would be much better if you could go up to 55" where there are more compelling, and cheaper 55" options from 2020 such as the Samsung Q80T/Q90T or Sony XH900/XH9505.

Beware that at 49" the Samsung models run only 60hz, so they don't have HDMI 2.1.

In a nutshell, for HDMI 2.1 and <55" LCD you need a 2021 TV but it would be wasteful to consider buying one presently. Your current TV is no slouch, I'd keep it and revisit the purchase come black friday or later when the prices of new TVs aren't so high.

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys, appreciate you both talking some sense into me! Will probably wait now.

I'll have a more detailed look at the Q90T as well :)

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom