Question Sony X900E vs Samsungs

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by dcf, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dcf

dcf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently looking for a new tv to upgrade from Samsung K6300. My biggest issues with this tv are clouding/black uniformity (I know it's not entirely connected to this particular model - clouding is always a random), narrow viewing angles and no 4K support.

I use tv mostly for gaming on PC or PS3/X360 and watching movies.

From what I've seen X900E shouldn't have much clouding thanks to full-array backlight and local dimming, but at the same time I heard it has problem with black levels (they are washed out). Input lag is also a bit high. On the other hand, MU7000/MU8000 have better input lag and black levels, but overall color accuracy and local dimming are worse.

When it comes to viewing angles - I know all of the tvs I've mentioned are VAs, so they won't have stellar viewing angles, but they seem to be a bit better on X900E according to RTings.

Being able to connect some older consoles would be a plus. From what I've seen - some Samsungs don't have the component connection.

Good upscaling would be a plus and from what I gather from various reviews - people praise upscaling sony's implementation of upscaling a lot (as well as motion resolution).

HDR and how bright the tv can go doesn't concern me - I will be watching only SDR content.

The quality of operating system doesn't concern me as long as it's responsive when it comes to basic functionality (switching sources, volume up/down etc.). I am not going to use any apps and such.

My budget is around ~1200 euro.

Normally, I'd buy KS8000, but it's pretty much unavailable.
    Which one should I get, taking all of this into consideration?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,343
    You can see on rtings that the edge lit models like the XE85/MU7000 are more than enough for HDR.

Screen uniformity isn't necessarily worse on edge lit models either. Especially not as important when you won't be using SDR.

So with that in mind I think the XE90 is probably be an overkill and you'll be happy with the XE85 / MU7000 and you may even be happier with an even cheaper model.

Whist there's a trend as you pay more that tv's have better uniformity it's not apparent until you make the jump to much higher end tv's. So by getting the Sony XE85 for example you aren't any more likely to have better uniformity than the XE70.