Sony X9 (KD-55X9005) 4K Ultra HD LED LCD TV Review

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Steve Withers, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,643
    2. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,369
      Good review Mark although I think it might have been worth mentioning that there's no HEVC decoder built in so it's unlikely the native Netflix app will be compatible with the 4k material due to start streaming shortly. Sony have however promised to look after early adopters but how that will apply to Netflix and H265 is anyone's guess...
      So given a choice between this and the Samsung F9000 you'd get the Samsung I take it? It's a shame about the 540p 3D, might have swung it in Sony's favour for me I'd it did full HD 3D

3. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Half res with passive 3D with 4k makes this tv unatractive for many .. Hope sony sort this out on they promising 2014 range.

4. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,811
      Good review, but I've got to fight the corner of the 3D performance. Using it with broadcast 3D material - which I presume is side by side - doesn't look great because you're losing half the resolution in both vertical and horizontal axes, but with Blu-ray 3D it's mesmerising. IMO.

Yeah, the vertical res is still 540p to each eye but horizontal is full 1920 (upscaled to 3840, natch), and without crappy TV compression to worry about there's no smearing at all when I'm watching Blu-ray 3D. I engage the Standard motionflow setting when watching 3D, as it preserves more of the temporal resolution which is usually shedded with pure 24p and crucially it doesn't have that 'soap opera' effect which Standard has in 2D. (I think it works differently because how the backlight is whacked up to full in 3D mode.)

There is some noticeable aliasing because of the 540p FPR, but the effect can be managed with judicious adjustment of the sharpness and reality creation. And if you sit at the correct viewing angle there's practically zero crosstalk, so that's another big plus.

I still think the 3D is the best I've ever seen, but obviously mileages do vary. :)

Any chance you could list or PM me your post-calibration settings Mark, including the white point adjustments? I know the usual stuff about how all panels are different blah blah, but I'd love to compare them with my own calibrated settings.

[edit] Oh, and there's no DSE on my set either.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    5. Blupetros

Blupetros

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +508
      Likewise, I would be interested in your calibrations.

6. gamemaker

gamemaker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +96
      A first generation 4k screen.....even as a very loyal smitten fan I say give this TV a miss and go for the 2014 range.

The samsung model have dominated the 4k TV and beat Sony in the US.Food for thought.Cnet US say the Samsung is better on edge dimming and darker.

I believe the W905 1080p has deeper blacks...

The biggest flaw is on 3D. No true 1080p out on passive.....HD TV test highlighted this too.

This TV does not rotate on its stand and the back of the TV is Matt dull plastic.55 inch is not enough for 4k.NOT KEEN IN THE DYNAMIC FLUID SPEAKERS as it increase cost.For 500 quid you can get the 5.1 fluid dynamic Sony home cinema kit.

There is a big price disparity between the 55inch and 65 inch version of this TV.

Update: With no 4k gaming from ps4 or Xbox 1 for 2014, it adds to the disappointment of adopting 4k too early.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    7. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      3D is usless on this tv vs Lg 4k passive thats atleast full 1080 with passive.

8. Dubliner1

Dubliner1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Dublin, Ireland / San Diego, California, USA.
      Ratings:
      +1,132
      Nice review but maybe time to drop mentioning how DVD's perform on 4K panels in future reviews. Seems a bit redundant?

9. fluxo

fluxo
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,351
      Why the flimsy plastic back on a £2.5k TV?

10. poachermas

poachermas

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +44
      I purchased this tv for the "full hd 3d" passive,and on its appearance,I like the side speakers,in the store sets itself apart from the norm,disapointed to find only 540 3d,not was advertised.
      However apart from 3d issue best tv I have owned,would also like to see post calibration settings to compare to my own amateur attempts

11. Blupetros

Blupetros

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +508
      I don't know about you, but I don't spend much time looking at the back of my TV!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    12. Loopthrough

Loopthrough

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +523
      @fluxo Flimsy plastic to keep it lightweight for wall hanging and shipping to keep their eco credentials high when making reports about CO2

13. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,811
      Exactly. What was it supposed to be made out of? Brushed aluminium? Diamond encrusted platinum?

And since when does the back of a TV come in for a bashing, no matter how much it costs? Oh, that's right, it's fashionable to knock the Sony on this forum (fair and balanced AVF review excepted) so let's find any aspect to have a go at. Seriously, the back of the TV?!?

Come on Mark, where are those calibrated settings? :D

14. fluxo

fluxo
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,351
      It's made from pretty much the cheapest looking plastic I've seen on an expensive TV for a while. No other supposedly high end TV I've seen looks as cheaply made as that. Yes, you may not see it often, but at that price I'd expect high quality durable materials throughout the TV.

The back is similar to that used on the Sony W8 series (and lower). The Sony W9 has a metal back, as does every upper tier Panasonic and Samsung TV I've seen recently. The LG OLED has a carbon fibre back.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    15. fluxo

fluxo
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,351
      Regarding calibration:

It is good that colour and gamma performance is excellent after minor tweaking. I think the reviewer is probably targeting a 2.4 gamma function (see graph), but which one? There are several different 2.4 functions, from a simple power function to BT. 1886. Clearly the lack of a full set of gamma controls means that only one of these can be successfully targeted. Which? (It might be in the article, but I'm having trouble seeing it on this phone.) Also, I notice a lot of people having their sets calibrated with a 2.35 gamma function. It's a good compromise gamma value. Does the Sony gamma control have sufficient granularity to match a 2.35 gamma function?

Given that there are only a few CMS controls, and given the ease of using them, would calibration be more of a 15 minute job than one lasting hours? If that is true, would the cost of having it professionally calibrated reflect the small amount of time and effort involved?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    16. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
      Hi Andy, yes I think I will stick that in there.

I preferred the F9000 personally but they are both really good,

Hi Geoff

Yes, I think 3D mileages vary quite a lot. I've just got 'used to' 4K delivering full res and its amazing. It's not a bad 3D TV, by any means, just I've seen better (imho) recently.

I'll put up those settings today and link back here :)

You might be right.

I was targeting 2.3(ish) power law. 2.4 is too dark and dim for most living rooms. You could probably hit 2.2, 2.3 and 2.45-2.5 with the controls in this TV.

17. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
    18. fluxo

fluxo
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,351
      Thanks for the extensive reply, Mr Hodgkinson.

I am not anti-Sony - never let that be said. But, when I think of the company, I have in mind an old prizefighter, fallen on hard times, now reduced to boxing kangaroos in a travelling circus. Do you know what I mean?

19. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
      LOL, I would have agreed with you 2 to 3 years ago but, to me, they seem to be on the up and are starting to regain some of that swagger. Now, if they can just stop themselves from reassuming their former arrogance, I think the company can thrive.

20. GOLFATHER76

GOLFATHER76

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      went to see this model in JL & have to say 4k pic quality looks amazing.
      Then we asked the sales guy if we can see normal 1080p & result was amazing, i think Sony really wants to come back in the market after long time.

Done a really good job with this set :thumbsup: time for price match ;)

21. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,369
      Unless the speakers or passive 3D are your main reasons for buying this don't ignore the Samsung F9000, Mark rates it more than the Sony reading between the lines and it's clearly more future proof with the one connect box

22. GOLFATHER76

GOLFATHER76

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      I am really happy with the speakers sound quality & i enjoy passive 3rd more then active for some reason.
      but more then anything i really like the black levels in this model.

23. Loopthrough

Loopthrough

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +523
      @fluxo Only W9 with a metal back is the 55". 40 and 46" have plastic, too

24. Yappa

Yappa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,404
      That's not true. The 46W905 has a metal black as well and pretty sure the same can be said about the 40W905.

I noticed that the X9 gets pretty hot on the back for a LED TV.

You'll probably also notice it when viewing off-axis horizontally. That's the Triluminos tech of the 2013 models for you and the major reason why I returned the W9 where it's even more pronounced, I think. Hopefully, it won't be an issue anymore for the 2014 models.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    25. fluxo

fluxo
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,351
      That isn't true. I have looked at the W9 sets in the store and they all have metal backs. You can check images online to confirm this. I would post links to those images but I think that may not be allowed under the forum posting rules. You can see part of the 40" W9 back here:

Sony KDL-40W905A review | T3

You'll need to advance through the images at the top of that page. The back of the 46" model can be seen on this page:

Sony KDL-46W905A - LED, LCD and plasma TV reviews - TV & DVD - Which? Technology

Again, you can see the metal back. The metal backs that Sony uses are very different from the plastic backs. E.g., Sony W805A:

Sony KDL-47W805A - LED, LCD and plasma TV reviews - TV & DVD - Which? Technology

The Sony models with metal backs tend to have round ventilation holes, whereas the plastic-backed models have slats. The X900's back is covered with dozens of slats and upward facing vents making it not only cheap looking, but also a nightmare to keep dust free. There's a good picture of its back here (you will have to expand it to get a good view):

Sony Bravia XBR-55X900A information from Consumer Reports

In anything but a laboratory clean room type environment with filtered air the X900 will slowly fill up with dust that will cake the internals and hinder cooling.

26. Trancematic

Trancematic

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      We fell in love with this TV after viewing it for 60 minutes in Currys on Sunday,TV got delivered on Monday and I'm still starring at the box in the dining room.

It's really great reading other peoples opinions on here but can be somewhat off putting when others suggest that Samsung 9 series is better which is of course personal choice.

Personally I thought the picture and the sound of the built in speakers was awesome and something I have been looking for in a TV for years.

I went to a Bose outlet store about 18 months ago and was taken to a media room for a demonstration of a TV all dressed up like the cinema experience.

When he started the demonstration you could see what looked like all speakers around the room only for this guy to start taking each one away as all they was were pieces of cardboard and were just false.

He then told is that the all the sound was coming from the tv with Bose built in speakers that they had been developing for years.

I think at the time the TV was around £5000 grand and I have to say I was totally blown away.

But I saw what I thought was a obvious flaw here based on the price of the Television,first of the screen was made by Samsung or some other manufacturer and the TV was already some 2 years old and was not even 3d and was also the older LCD technology .

So at the end of the day myself and the girlfriend discarded this idea as we regular upgrade kit when it's advanced further.

Now we have paid £3000 for this TV which I hope we will be happy with for the next 3 years,now I read on here that Sony will have some newer models next year that will rival and better what we have at the moment and it starts getting worrying based on what you spend .

Problem is technology moves on at such a incredible pace it's impossible in this day and age and been a early adopter not to regret buying at certain times.

This TV was £4000 when it came out last July ,now it's 3 and I dare say in 6 months it will be £2500 if not less.

So where does it leave people like ourselves and when ever is the right time to buy something that we require,we are not the sort of people that waits for something to drop a few hundred pounds or search the internet for bargains,we see something we like it and we buy it.

There are some posts on here saying 55inch 4k Televisions are not big enough screens, I struggling with the size of this set given the added width due to the speakers to house this in a space suitable in the living room given that all power supplies are in the corners.

And yes we do own what I think is a nice sound system,it's a Bose Lifestyle ,but I wanted to de/clutter and do away with the massive sound bar and centre console and bass box and to me at least and I'm no television expert the sound sounds as good as the £2400 lifestyle system I have rigged to this Samsung 55inch 3D TV I have at present.

Will give you my personal thoughts and impressions tomorrow when I finally get around to setting it up and connecting all the stuff like Playstation 4 and Xbox One and Nintendo Wii U.

Guess it's just personal choice having stuck with Samsung who I really like for the past 6 years.

What I did like about this TV when looking at it Sunday was the fact that the guy in Currys said that the picture we thought by our standards looked crystal clear and drop dead gorgeous was not even a 4K picture but the TV upscaling at HD image,and the Sony set according to him was not using 30% of the sets capabilities ....add to that what you want because after all he is trying to sell us a Television at a huge price.

27. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Sony 2014 4K tv has a upgrade kit like the samsung 4k tvs .. a seperate hdmi box... :cool:

With one diffrence it hasnt the tvs processor in the box just the inputs of the tv... Huge upgrade from the 2013 4k tv.

28. Trancematic

Trancematic

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      So this TV can take the upgrade .

29. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      No not this tv the 2014 modell..

30. Trancematic

Trancematic

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      That seems like a complete waste of £3000 then if you ask me,may be I should just send it back and wait for the 2014 model.

So are you actually saying there is no future upgrade of this tv that has only been out 6 months....what's the point of that with such a huge investment

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List