Sony X85J and Yamaha RX-V481 HDMI ARC woes

boardlord

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

hope you can help me. Up until a few days ago I used a 40" Samsung JU7000 and a Yamaha RX-V481 amp, using ARC for sound and CEC for control - worked perfectly,.

However, the infamous purple patch appeared on the Samsung, so I bit the bullet and forked out the cash for a new 43" Sony Bravia X85J. The TV is awesome, liking it very much. BUT! For the the life of me I cannot get ARC to work. Bravia Sync is of course enabled on the TV, as is ARC on the receiver.

Things I tried:
  1. Tried the troubleshooting steps in this post, no dice either:
  2. Replaced the HDMI cable with an HDMI 2.1 certified one with Ethernet
  3. Unplugged-replugged the cable from the TV
  4. Changed the output audio to DD from DD+
  5. Disabled eARC on the TV

All I could get is a few minutes of sound over ARC then the sound stopped, with the amp showing "Decoder disabled", and CEC didn't work AT ALL.
Any thoughts? Or I should just forget it and downgrade to TOSLINK? It's aggravating as ARC with the Samsung TV and the same Yamaha amp worked for years... Would an A4/6A work better? Is this Sony's ARC implementation fault, or Yamaha's?

Sony do have a bad reputation as far as ARC is concerned. Wherther it is the TV or the AV receiver is another matter though, but I'd tend to suggest the TV's implimentation of ARC is an fault?

Newer AV receivers are suffering from what appears to be numerous issues associated with both ARC and eARC. None of them appear to be problem free. I'd not suggest buying a newer AVR just to try resolve the issue you currently have, not without first investigating whether or not other owners with the intended AVR have experienced ARC issues in association with the TV you intend to use in conjunction with that AVR.

Last edited:
Sony do have a bad reputation as far as ARC is concerned. Wherther it is the TV or the AV receiver is another matter though, but I'd tend to suggest the TV's implimentation of ARC is an fault?

Newer AV receivers are suffering from what appears to be numerous issues associated with both ARC and eARC. None of them appear to be problem free. I'd not suggest buying a newer AVR just to try resolve the issue you currently have, not without first investigating whether or not other owners with the intended AVR have experienced ARC issues in association with the TV you inyend to use in conjunction with that TV.
Thanks for the reply!
Typo in my post, I meant the V4/6A - the price of the A series would be too steep for me :)
So, it seems I'm pretty much at Sony's mercy... Not liking my chances :( Back to TOSLINK I guess...

Hello, I have just bought the Sony X90J and I'm having similar issues to you. I have a Yamaha RX-V573 amp. The CEC functions seem to work with no problems. I have found that I can get Dolby Digital Plus working through ARC intermittently if I play around in the amp settings turning it off then on again and switching inputs to TV but this is obviously not a workable solution as it resets to not working everytime the TV turns off or sometimes just by itself (I think when it is switching between different audio formats).

However changing the Bravia setting that converts the Dolby Digital Plus signal to just Dolby Digital did work for me. Since this works I had thought that maybe my HDMI cable was not carrying enough bandwidth through, but I have tried multiple cables now.

Prior to this TV I used a Chromecast with Google TV which uses essentially the same interface and it had no issues at all with Dolby Digital Plus so it seems to be a fault of Sony's implementation of ARC/DD+.

I'll keep trying though - please update if you find any proper solution to this. Unfortunately the most recent Bravia update seems to have made the problem worse for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom