Sony X80J Problem After Software Update

JNixon

My new Sony TV has been working fine until it offered me a software update last Friday morning, which I let it do.

Since then I have noticed an occasional flicker on the picture, usually at camera shot changes. It's as if the TV occasionally displays a couple of frames in the wrong order. Also, I have noticed the TV's own graphics appear a bit glitchy and jittery instead of smooth scrolling as they used to be. This happens on all channels and inputs including a blu-ray player.

I have also noticed, when selecting "Settings", sometimes the "Home" page appears instead. I initially thought I had pressed the wrong button on the remote but it has happened a number of times now, so I know it is the TV that is doing something wrong. Also the You Tube app. refused to play any video for a while, just a blank screen for a few moments followed by an error message.

All these things have happened since the software update on Friday. It's been almost a week since the update, so it can't be still "settling down" after the update, unless the installation was corrupted.

There appears to be no option on the TV to revert to the older, working software, nor does there seem to be an option to reinstall the current software if the installation on Friday was corrupted somehow - it just says I have the latest software, which is PKG6.4284.xxxx.EUA.

I have done the usual factory reset which has not resolved the problem.

Thanks for any help.

JNixon

My apologies for the double post on this subject. A moderator can delete the other one if they wish.

I have discovered a video on YouTube which mentions model numbers close to my X80J and they are having problems titled: "Sony VRR Update is OUT but Wait!"

My TV is in a poor state now and I wish I hadn't updated. I'm not a gamer and so don't need VRR, and my baseline Sony doesn't even have that hardware ability anyway, so I don't know why I was even offered the update.

I think it is unreasonable for Sony to not allow me to revert to the previous bug-free software. I am fed up.

Justin.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
My apologies for the double post on this subject. A moderator can delete the other one if they wish.

I have discovered a video on YouTube which mentions model numbers close to my X80J and they are having problems titled: "Sony VRR Update is OUT but Wait!"

My TV is in a poor state now and I wish I hadn't updated. I'm not a gamer and so don't need VRR, and my baseline Sony doesn't even have that hardware ability anyway, so I don't know why I was even offered the update.

I think it is unreasonable for Sony to not allow me to revert to the previous bug-free software. I am fed up.

Justin.

It does sound like an update "bug". Sadly it is all too common with all makes and models these days that updates can cause more issues than they try to solve, or certainly introduce new ones. Report the issues to Sony and at least if it doesn't clear up you can request a new television or your money back.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom