SONY X800D / X830D / SAMSUNG KU6400 / LG UH-770

Sush40

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm looking to replace my TV and thinking of getting a 4K one. I don't need a high spec model as I'll only use it to watch regular TV (no sports) and occasional movies.
My budget is around 700. I'm looking for a 49'' preferably.

I've done a few research and I narrowed down to these models:

- SONY X800
- SONY X830
- SAMSUNG KU6400 (6470 preferably - with voice control)
- LG UH750 or 770V

I was going to get LG 668V which - on the paper - looked good (with extras like voice control and HK speakers) and it was reasonably priced at 500pounds for a 49''.
But I've seen it in the shop and I didnt like the design (quite bulky) and was disappointed by the picture quality to be honest.
I'm also interested in the LG UH 750 or 770V but again not too keen on the LG design and the picture quality wasn't mind-blowing (even though 770V is S-UHD and had Doly vision, 10Bits panel, etc).

So my questions are:
1/ Are LG 750 or 770V worth considering against the Sony's and the Samsung?
2/ Is it worth paying 50pounds extra for the SONY 830 compared to the 800 (I think the only difference is the 60Hz/120Hz - panels would be both IPS being the 49'models) Or are there any more differences between the 2
3/ Finally, which is better between X800 and KU6400?

So here are the pro's and con's I've found so far:
- Sony's processor is much slower and apparently menu can be sluggish
- screen is IPS (on the 49'' models) so the blacks are probably worse than on the Samsung TV
- there's no local dimming
- Also I'm not a fan of the remote control
+ On the other hand I really like the picture quality of Sony
+ Motion is better than on the Samsung's

SAMSUNG
- Judder! Is it really bad?

Thanks

Not entirely sure the KU6400 comes with a VA panel at that size, in fact I'm almost certain it will come with a PLS (similar to IPS).

Best value TV's at the 49/50 are Hisense M5500/K5510 and Panasonic DX-700 or 750. You get a high contrast VA panel with these tv's and no 24p judder like on the Samsung KU's

Sony XD80 is a 60hz IPS panel at 49" and the XD83 is a 120hz IPS panel. The XD80 is already decent at motion but with the XD83 you will be able to use stronger motion settings. (Best turned off in many cases).

I wouldn't look at the LGs at all personally.

IF you need the wider viewing angles vs contrast/blacks of a IPS panel then probably the Philips 6501 is the best value TV at 49".

Thanks a lot. Even though the panel is PLS, would it be better than the IPS panel from SONY?
The XD80 is tempting but not sure about the slow processor...
I didnt look at Philips TVs because my sister has one and I hate the menu (very slow TV as well).
I saw the Panasonic as well but cant remember why I eliminated it from my list (could be because it's the lowest 4K HDR TV from the brand so thought it would be equivalent to a SONY X700D or Samsung KU6000)

I went to see more models in store this weekend. I really like the quality of Samsung 6400 and Panasonic DX700. There was an LG UH770V and UH850V (S-UHD TVs) next to them and was suprised to find the quality better on Samsung and Panasonic, despite being in the lower range.
I thought S-UHD TVs were better than normal UHD TVs but didn't find much difference on the UH-770 and 850 compared to the other ones. It was tempting to get an S-UHD for the same price as a normal UHD though...
So I think it's going to be between
- PANASONIC DX700
- SAMSUNG 6400
- SONY X800

At 49/50 inch the Panasonic DX-700 will give you the best picture quality overall. It has a lot better blacks and contrast. Most people prefer it's smart tv too.

The other two are fine for watching tv though, especially if you will always watch with the light on.

Just see no reason to go for less contrast unless you need those wider viewing angles from PLS/IPS. PLS performs the same as IPS btw it's just a Samsung variant.

I thought the SAMSUNG ku6400 had a VPA panel? From what I've read anyway.
I like the Sony's but bit worried about the slow processor, I've read reviews from users saying it's slow to respond, and not too keen on the remote either, it looks very cheap

I wouldn't count on it having a VA panel. I haven't seen any reviews state it has a VA panel who actually reviewed the t.v. in person.

Only source that states it has a VA panel is rtings.com who also state the KU6000 has a VA panel at 49/55" when models have been spotted and reviewed elsewhere with PLS type. It's generally a panel lottery with the KU series.

The Panasonic also doesn't suffer from any 24hz judder during films which largely makes it a better tv for your use anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom