Question Sony X700, Sony X800, Panasonic UB820, other?

iainl7

Hi all.

I was going to get a Sony X700 soon, but a few reviews have mentioned that the drive isn't particularly quiet. Since a large part of the point for buying one is that I'm frustrated with the noisy disk drive and fan on my Xbox One S, I'm wondering how bad people find it? Would I be better off sacrificing the Dolby Vision to pick up a reduced X800 with the more sturdy transport, or saving up for a Panasonic UB820 which can do both DV and a decent drive for audio playback? My NAD CD Player is around a decade old and having increasingly common issues with disc reading, so being able to replace that would be a good justification for paying a bit more.

Meanwhile, I've been slumming it in the land of Dolby Digital and DTS since the move to 4k because the amp won't pass HDR over HDMI, so I've not been considering the cheap likes of the X500. Is that me being snobbish? Could I be saving money here?

Any advice would be most appreciated. I do also wonder how the Xbox One X is on noise, but that really would be a big expenditure.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hi all.

I was going to get a Sony X700 soon, but a few reviews have mentioned that the drive isn't particularly quiet. Since a large part of the point for buying one is that I'm frustrated with the noisy disk drive and fan on my Xbox One S, I'm wondering how bad people find it? Would I be better off sacrificing the Dolby Vision to pick up a reduced X800 with the more sturdy transport, or saving up for a Panasonic UB820 which can do both DV and a decent drive for audio playback? My NAD CD Player is around a decade old and having increasingly common issues with disc reading, so being able to replace that would be a good justification for paying a bit more.

Meanwhile, I've been slumming it in the land of Dolby Digital and DTS since the move to 4k because the amp won't pass HDR over HDMI, so I've not been considering the cheap likes of the X500. Is that me being snobbish? Could I be saving money here?

Any advice would be most appreciated. I do also wonder how the Xbox One X is on noise, but that really would be a big expenditure.
My X700 is as quiet, if not quieter, than my UB820. The first UB820 I had I returned due to fan and drive noise and replaced it with an X700. Around 6 months later when UB820 prices dropped I tried another and that was fine noise wise. A few others had noisy UB820's when they first came out but later ones seem OK.

Drive wise both seem to have the usual fairly flimsy trays common to blu-ray players for years so couldn't say that either X700/UB820 have more sturdy transports.

The HDR Optimiser feature of the UB820 is well worth having and is a Panasonic USP. Also the picture adjustment controls available on the UB820 are in another league to the X700 (although only work for HDR10 and blu-rays, not DV).

X700 has the USP (now that Oppo players are no longer available new) of being able to force DV on HDR10 UHDs plus blu-rays (i.e. output them as DV and trigger the TV's DV viewing modes into play) . You may or may not find that useful. One downside of this is that if you don't want the player to do this forced DV you have to turn DV processing off, and then on again when playing a DV UHD.

iainl7

Thanks - really can't do anything until I see how the budget survives Record Store Day, unfortunately, but it's good to know the X700 can be fairly quiet.

Dixie4

My X700 is as quiet, if not quieter, than my UB820. The first UB820 I had I returned due to fan and drive noise and replaced it with an X700. Around 6 months later when UB820 prices dropped I tried another and that was fine noise wise. A few others had noisy UB820's when they first came out but later ones seem OK.

Drive wise both seem to have the usual fairly flimsy trays common to blu-ray players for years so couldn't say that either X700/UB820 have more sturdy transports.

The HDR Optimiser feature of the UB820 is well worth having and is a Panasonic USP. Also the picture adjustment controls available on the UB820 are in another league to the X700 (although only work for HDR10 and blu-rays, not DV).

X700 has the USP (now that Oppo players are no longer available new) of being able to force DV on HDR10 UHDs plus blu-rays (i.e. output them as DV and trigger the TV's DV viewing modes into play) . You may or may not find that useful. One downside of this is that if you don't want the player to do this forced DV you have to turn DV processing off, and then on again when playing a DV UHD.

Hi

I'm considering buying a new 58" Panasonic GX800 & i'm debating bewtween the Panny 820 or the Sony X700 ( I bought my friends a X700, some months back. ) Which one would you go for, with DV in mind ?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hi

I'm considering buying a new 58" Panasonic GX800 & i'm debating bewtween the Panny 820 or the Sony X700 ( I bought my friends a X700, some months back. ) Which one would you go for, with DV in mind ?
With only DV in mind perhaps the X700 as with using forced DV on it you can get a lot more DV content than you would with the UB820...;)

It's mentioned by Vincent Teoh that the DV on the Panasonic players is a bit brighter and also clips highlights more than DV on the Oppo 203 in his youtube review of the UB9000. I'd expect that may also be the case with UB820 vs the X700 although I haven't compared them so far.

So it may come down to whether you want a perhaps more accurate DV on the X700 compared to what the UB820 offers picture adjustment wise for HDR10 discs. For an overall mix of DV and HDR10 discs I'd personally go for a UB820 (only 25% or so of my UHDs are DV). Also while HDR10+ discs are few and far between at the moment both your TV and the UB820 can play them in HDR10+ while the X700 can't.

However given the flimsy build of the X700 the Sony X800M2 might be a better thing to compare against the UB820 as it would then bring the choice between two more similarly priced and build quality players. While X800M2 doesn't offer HDR10+ support it 'may' do in the future see post #2 2019 SONY UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread

Dixie4

With only DV in mind perhaps the X700 as with using forced DV on it you can get a lot more DV content than you would with the UB820...;)

It's mentioned by Vincent Teoh that the DV on the Panasonic players is a bit brighter and also clips highlights more than DV on the Oppo 203 in his youtube review of the UB9000. I'd expect that may also be the case with UB820 vs the X700 although I haven't compared them so far.

So it may come down to whether you want a perhaps more accurate DV on the X700 compared to what the UB820 offers picture adjustment wise for HDR10 discs. For an overall mix of DV and HDR10 discs I'd personally go for a UB820 (only 25% or so of my UHDs are DV). Also while HDR10+ discs are few and far between at the moment both your TV and the UB820 can play them in HDR10+ while the X700 can't.

However given the flimsy build of the X700 the Sony X800M2 might be a better thing to compare against the UB820 as it would then bring the choice between two more similarly priced and build quality players. While X800M2 doesn't offer HDR10+ support it 'may' do in the future see post #2 2019 SONY UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread

Thanks.....i'm now kind of more undecided ! LOL ( What is "forced DV" ? Sounds like it's not "true DV" ??

As i said, i bought my friends a X700 & impressed with that & no issues to date. ( I own a X800 which can freeze, but didn't know the M2 had been released yet ??

I'm tempted by buying the UB820, because it covers all formats, regarding viewing. Decisions, decisions !

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Thanks.....i'm now kind of more undecided ! LOL ( What is "forced DV" ? Sounds like it's not "true DV" ??

As i said, i bought my friends a X700 & impressed with that & no issues to date. ( I own a X800 which can freeze, but didn't know the M2 had been released yet ??

I'm tempted by buying the UB820, because it covers all formats, regarding viewing. Decisions, decisions !
See the final paragraph of my post you quoted earlier.

X800M2 is due soon, Sony lists it at £350 RRP.

PS Ebay has a 15% off code (PERCENT15) until 11.59pm tonight which can be used at Hughes Direct ebay store to bring the price of a X700 to £169.15 delivered.
Sony UBP-X700B 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 4548736062764 | eBay

Unfortunately Hughes don't have any UB820s as I got one from them previously using a code at £255 ish. Just a shame I then a few months later saw and took advantage of a John Lewis misprice to pick one up at £119 :smashin:

Last edited:

Dixie4

Yes, i had read in the last couple of weeks that the M2 was due soon....think i read this month ??

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom