Sony X3000/X3500 Series Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the 46X3500 for nearly 6 months now and have been very happy with it, but i noticed when watching Silent Witness on BBC HD a couple of weeks ago, that there were two horizontal lines, look more like 1cm shadows, evenly spaced up and down the screen, they were static and initally i thought it was the broadcast quality, but playing gears of war 2 on the 360 this week, i have noticed them again especially when there are browns on screen. They seem to be about 1cm thick across the screen, and when looking closely there seem to be more than two, evenly spaced from top to bottom, the two in the centre section of the screen are more prominent. Is this normal?

Any help :lease: would be appreciated, as i would like to know whether to contact the sony centre.

Thanks,

Last edited:
It should be engaged whenever possible to keep a 1:1 pixel map.

Even when im playing 720p games I engage it, but its called +1 for whatever reason. Far Cry 2 shows thin black bars when you do this so thats the only drawback, but only that game so far has done that

what do you mean "whenever possible" ? so for standard Def have it switched off ? :)

cheers

I've had the 46X3500 for nearly 6 months now and have been very happy with it, but i noticed when watching Silent Witness on BBC HD a couple of weeks ago, that there were two horizontal lines, look more like 1cm shadows, evenly spaced up and down the screen, they were static and initally i thought it was the broadcast quality, but playing gears of war 2 on the 360 this week, i have noticed them again especially when there are browns on screen. They seem to be about 1cm thick across the screen, and when looking closely there seem to be more than two, evenly spaced from top to bottom, the two in the centre section of the screen are more prominent. Is this normal?

Any help :lease: would be appreciated, as i would like to know whether to contact the sony centre.

Thanks,

That doesn't sound right at all ,Ring Sony :)

it's not really designed for standard-def material, unless its being upscaled to 1080.

so you may notice that some programmes/channels would allow you to see more of the picture, but others may not have any picture giving you edges broadcasters assume are not seen on the default tv configurations, such as changing rainbow colours or flickering.

if you use an upscaling dvd player have it on, for the majority you can have it watching SD tv, but sometimes you could see annoying flickering edges that aren't really supposed to be there.

it's pretty much a personal taste, if you are given the option of "full pixel" it's best to use it. but if the option is renamed +1 then it's best to review what your seeing before you keep it

Went to take a look at the new W4500 with the better half the other day, standing next to one was an X3500. My wife prefered the X. My question is, is the X a better set than the W. What sort of price should i be paying for a 40"or 46". I like the panasonic TH46PZ80 but the asthetics of the sony win hands down. Also we have a 32" LCD and love it so another sony would go down well with the wife.
I read alot about problems with the new sony's and am a bit put off, it seems like the X3000/3500 dont get the clouding or backlight issues.
Thanks Phil

good taste, she has

its all down to personal preference

it's probably the best out of the new sony's though, bang for buck, compared to the next notch up for the LED one's, price for those are STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

Went to take a look at the new W4500 with the better half the other day, standing next to one was an X3500. My wife prefered the X. My question is, is the X a better set than the W. What sort of price should i be paying for a 40"or 46". I like the panasonic TH46PZ80 but the asthetics of the sony win hands down. Also we have a 32" LCD and love it so another sony would go down well with the wife.
I read alot about problems with the new sony's and am a bit put off, it seems like the X3000/3500 dont get the clouding or backlight issues.
Thanks Phil

well the 40X4500 is a no option if you live in UK(its not available).as for the 46X4500 its price is expensive,but at least you know its the best lcd on the market right now.the W4500 can be still a top choice(better than X3 series).clouding is no different than others

Will this firmware fix the fan problems for the Sony KDL-40X3100 ??

Hi,

I'm hoping you will be able to help me with a connection problem.

I Have the following kit

KDL X3000 TV
Sky + HD
DAV DZ830W Home theatre
PS3

At the moment I have the sky into the first HDMI with the optical into the AV system, home theatre into 2nd HDMI and the PS3 into the 3rd (side) HDMI on the tv.

Theatre sync works great with the sky and Home theatre, with the sky remote automatically turning the AV system on with the tv, and also adjusting the volume on the AV system, but at present I am unable to get sound from the PS3 through the home theatre due to it only having 1 optical connection.

I have bought an optical splitter, but dont really want to go down this route if possible, as I think; if I'm watching a film on the PS3 and the sky is recoring, then there will be two audio signals being directed in to the av system?

Any ideas?

Your replies will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi,

I Have the following kit

KDL X3000 TV
Sky + HD
DAV DZ830W Home theatre
PS3

At the moment I have the sky into the first HDMI with the optical into the AV system, home theatre into 2nd HDMI and the PS3 into the 3rd (side) HDMI on the tv.

Theatre sync works great with the sky and Home theatre, with the sky remote automatically turning the AV system on with the tv, and also adjusting the volume on the AV system, but at present I am unable to get sound from the PS3 through the home theatre due to it only having 1 optical connection.

I have bought an optical splitter, but dont really want to go down this route if possible, as I think; if I'm watching a film on the PS3 and the sky is recoring, then there will be two audio signals being directed in to the av system?

Any ideas?

Your replies will be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this? :lease:

Anyone got any idea how much a 12 month old 46 X3500 with 2 year warranty outstanding is worth? Not boxed but been in a non smoking household and is in mint condition.

Hi,

I Have the following kit

KDL X3000 TV
Sky + HD
DAV DZ830W Home theatre
PS3

Any ideas?

I may be wrong but this looks like the problem I identified earlier this thread (2 pages ago). I think you're trying to get the HDMI inputs to the TV to pass the digital 5.1 signal through to the optical out on the telly. This unfortunately doesn't seem to work for DRM copy protection reasons I was told. The only was to do it is to pass the optical out directly to the AV system.

Last edited:
hi ,
i got a query when does the light sensor kick in, i keep trying with my light on & off but i dont see the pic dimming at all :thumbsdow

hi ,
i got a query when does the light sensor kick in, i keep trying with my light on & off but i dont see the pic dimming at all :thumbsdow

Maybe it is already dimmed. Don't forget it is now darker outside than it was in summer, thus darker inside. Try shining a bright torch at the light sensor to see if the picture gets brighter. A lot of people have this feature turned off, but I like the way it dims when the ambient light level reduces, I think it keeps the picture quality more consistent.

John.

Can someone please clear something up for me!

I have a very early build of the 46X3500 and have never had any problem at all with fan noise (I assume I have a T1 panel) - so is there any point in updating the firmware - is that the only thing it addressed or are there picture, motion or smearing improvements too?

Thanks

Need some help on what replacement TV to ask for!!

I bought my 46X3500 last November and from June I have been asking the retailer to sort out my fan noise problem. They have tried about five times to update the software but it is not liking it apparantly. I told them if it did not work next time they need to replace my TV. Today the update did not work again.

I am waiting for the Retailer to call me. Question is what do I do? I love the x3500 picture so do I ask for a new x3500 but they have stopped making these now so how do I know I want end up with an old one with the same (or other such as smearing) problems etc. Should I insist on a X4500 (and pay the difference?) or W4500?

I'm not good at this haggling game!

Paul

the X4500 is the best you can get,so I would suggest getting it and paying the difference.the W4500 is still a worthy upgrade

Thanks Chrisgeo. If the Retailers advise they will only replace like for like do I have a legal leg to stand on to insist on one of the later models?

its not bad to get an other X3500 its the fact that the new are better

very good price,still though 46W4500 cheaper

can anyone tell me if the firmware update does anything else except fix the fan?

Mu TV has never had a noisy fan so am wondering if it is woth updating it (will it improve pq, motion, smearing etc???)

other than the fan noise and I think a photo viewer problem it doesnt do anything else

other than the fan noise and I think a photo viewer problem it doesnt do anything else

\no picture or smearing improvements?

I've searched the thread for this, but with 610 pages I am sure I missed it!

I have had a 40X3500 for just under a year. I'd not noticed until today, but when you are in the EPG, and then press the info button (top left) the incorrect channel name is displayed (it displays one lower - e.g. BBC1 when on BBC2).

Is there a cure?

Many thanks

Hey all. I've got one of these (the 40X3500), and after a few months of use it developed pretty bad clouding. It's really noticeable (except on blacks, obviously), and it's at the bottom right of the screen for about a quarter to a third of the width of the screen across and about three to four inches vertically.

How do I deal with this? Do I just take it to the Sony shop where I brought it and get it fixed? Do they pick it up? Or can I ask for it to be replaced? It's a great TV, but this is kind of a pain considering how expensive it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom