Sony X3000/X3500 Series Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys i have jusr ourchased this tv from the sony centre and my first impresstions are i really like it. No read through the entire thread as it would take me ages however from reading most i see that under the settings a lot of people choose their picture mode as cinema. Wheni choose this i find my picture looks quite dull. However when i then change it to vivid i think the differance is a vast improvement. Does anybody else choose thos setting or is it just me. Thanks

It will look dull, until you get used to it. You really need to have it on that setting for a few days, you will soon realise that Vivid is far too bright and false looking!

Yes, as thelawns said, it's only dull by comparison. An ultra-bright picture is just going to reveal flaws... and probably hurt your eyes eventually!

Hey all. I got myself a 40X3000 recently, and I'm having some troubles hooking it up via VGA, and was wondering if anyone else was having similar troubles?

Basically, I used to run my old TV (a KDL-40V3000) in 1360x768 and all was well, but I got my new TV and wanted to try 1920x1080, but I've not managed it yet. When I switch to said mode the image comes up, but is all squashed, and only fills about 80% of the screen. If I use the calibration controls of both my TV and my PC I can just about get it to to fill out on one side when both are set to maximum, but I'm still left with a 2-odd inch black bar down the other side. This can't be right, and it should be supported as it's listed in the table in the manual as supported in the "PC input signal reference chart".

Everything else works flawlessly, so I think the TV's OK, and if there is a problem it's a "bug" rather than a fault.

Any ideas?

PS. I'm using VGA rather than HDMI because my DVI port is driving my LCD monitor, though previously this was because it was the only way to get a fullscreen 1:1 pixel setup on my old TV, which is what I'm trying to achieve again now.

What type of graphics card are you using? If it's an ATI then I too had a slight problem with my 3870 and the screen not being filled completely, from one of my other posts:

I did have a slight problem at first with the picture not filling the screen and found that Underscan/overscan on the Scaling Options page in CCC was set to something like 15, setting it to 0 fixed that.

I'm not sure now whether that was when I was running it through the VGA or HDMI input though so it may not be applicable or helpful :confused:

Sounds like underscan to me, I had a similar problem

What type of graphics card are you using? If it's an ATI then I too had a slight problem with my 3870 and the screen not being filled completely, from one of my other posts:

I'm not sure now whether that was when I was running it through the VGA or HDMI input though so it may not be applicable or helpful :confused:

Well, I was hoping to avoid Powerstrip magic, but I gave in and found a mode that works. I guess the ATI HDTV 1080p mode just has the wrong timings.

This is what works:
Code:
PowerStrip timing parameters:
1920x1080=1920,88,48,144,1080,4,5,36,148500,272

Generic timing details for 1920x1080:
HFP=88 HSW=48 HBP=144 kHz=68 VFP=4 VSW=5 VBP=36 Hz=60

VESA detailed timing:
PClk=148.50 H.Active=1920 H.Blank=280 H.Offset=72 HSW=48 V.Active=1080 V.Blank=45 V.Offset=4 VSW=5

Linux modeline parameters:
"1920x1080" 148.500 1920 2008 2056 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync

As an aside...Powerstrip confirms what I'd suspected...that the Bravia doesn't support DDC. Which is a bit rubbish IMHO.

I've had my X3500 several months and occasionally notice lipsync problems when viewing digital TV. It was particularly bad on BBC2 tonight.

When I use the freeview tuner in my Panasonic HDD recorder it fine - its just the internal receiver.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Well, I was hoping to avoid Powerstrip magic, but I gave in and found a mode that works. I guess the ATI HDTV 1080p mode just has the wrong timings...

...Powerstrip confirms what I'd suspected...that the Bravia doesn't support DDC. Which is a bit rubbish IMHO.

On my X3000 using VGA in 1080p mode gives full screen pictures with an ati graphics chip (HD3200 on-board), I don't get full screen using DVI to HDMI and the HDMI port doesn't work. I may have to contact Gigabyte to sort the HDMI fault out. The down side of using VGA is it has to be set to 60Hz. Not very good for PAL broadcasts.

I've had my X3500 several months and occasionally notice lipsync problems when viewing digital TV. It was particularly bad on BBC2 tonight.

When I use the freeview tuner in my Panasonic HDD recorder it fine - its just the internal receiver.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Very strange, are You using the TV's internal Speakers ?, if so do a full retune

if You are running an external Audio amp any delay should be across all channels

Very strange, are You using the TV's internal Speakers ?, if so do a full retune

if You are running an external Audio amp any delay should be across all channels

Thanks for the reply.

Yes internal speakers. I'll try pulling the plug for a few minutes...

It will look dull, until you get used to it. You really need to have it on that setting for a few days, you will soon realise that Vivid is far too bright and false looking!

ok guys just want to thank you all for your advice after lots reading i have settled on the following settings which i got of the first page of this thread via the google spreadsheet.
Power Save Mode: Off

HDMI Sources

Mode: Cinema
Backlight: 3
Picture: 88
Brightness: 49
Color: 62
Hue: 0
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Warm 2
Noise Reduction: Off - 1080p / Low - Cable
Mpeg Noise Reduction: Off
DRC: Off
Black Corrector: Off
ACE: Off
Gamma: Off
Clear White: Off
Color Space: Standard
Live Color: Off

White Balance:
Red Gain: -1
Green Gain: -4
Blue Gain: 0
Red Bias: 0
Green Bias: -3
Blue Bias: 0

Detail Enhancer: Off / Low (Personal Preference)
Edge Enhancer: Off
Motion Enhancer: Off with 1080p24. Standard for 1080p60 (Personal preference) - Mines is off
Cinemotion: Auto1
Video Color Space (x.v.color): Off
Color Matrix: Auto
Game/Text: Off
Light Sensor: Off
Display Area: Full Pixel

Also if someone can advise this tv is packed full of features such as edge enhancer, motion enhancer, motion enhancer, game mode and so on and so on however from the settings people choose a lot of people sem to keep them off WHY?

Hi guys, :hiya:

I'm a new (happy) owner of the 46X3500.
The serial is 4310041 and it was made in 03/08.
Do I have a T1 or a T2 ?

Thanks

What is the cheapest possible price available for a 46X3500 please?

UK prices please gents.

Thanks

Is there a reason you want the 46X3500?The new 46W4500 is better

Last edited:
X3000/X3500 are the same technically,but anyway the W4500 is a better tv

It's a tough call to make alone, maybe get another person who will also be spending as much time as you looking at it, to help you decide

The reason why i ask is because a couple of pages back, a guy was talking about his experience in a Sony shop.

And although the W4500 is better blacks, he still felt the engine in X3x00 series was the overall better television.

I wanted to see if anyone could clarify and add their thoughts to what they thought.

The W4500 is cheaper than the X3x00 series. But need to know.

Secondly, thanks for the links to the X3000 prices - they seem OK. However about 3 months ago the 46X3500 was about £1600.00, is there anyone selling them cheaper to get rid of a discontinued model?

I know the fascia is the difference, but id like to weigh up all odds here pls.

my opinion about the W4500 being better than X3000/X3500 is based on my findings a few weeks ago,posted on the W4500,and there was no visible advantage of X3000/X3500

Cheers for your input Chris.

Not going to say your wrong on this but im hoping to get a full round opinion of people who have researched this also.

Bring on the feedback gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom