1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony widescreen effects

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Tony_Anon, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Tony_Anon

Tony_Anon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I expect funny things to happen with the picture in 'Smart' mode (picture stretched horizontally and vertically) but I'm starting to get similar effects in '16:9' now!

In '16:9' all captions seem to have a curved effect especially if at the bottom of the screen. e.g. TV & Film credits appear horizontal from the middle to top but when looking at the bottom, they appear curved or arched in the way you see a footballer's name appear on the back of his shirt!

Can anyone explain what's going on? Is the tube going? It appears to be captions or text (e.g. BBCi, SkyText etc) that show this. I think the actual programme picture seems ok. Does the text get scanned across the tube differently to the picture?

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sounds like a geometry problem - I have a similar issue with my Sony KD28DX50, but i've learnt to live with it. From what I can gather, it's difficult to get good geometry on a widescreen CRT TV, at least it is if you don't want to pay through the nose for your TV.

3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Greenbar is right, getting good geometry on a tv is near impossible without spending well over £1000. THe problem is there are some terrible sets on the market today esp the cheap range as i bought a cheap 4:3 tv from Bush and if i put a horizontal line across the screen it would be wavy (off on bothsides of the screen and the middle!) which is not acceptable but what can you do? Quality control has went out the window these days. Sony's flat screen trinitron screens replicate perfect geometry though so i take it yours isn't one of them. If so return it.
    I'm not impressed with Sony much these days, i have been bitten once or twice with their tvs, their "state of the art" DIgital motion system is a joke and so is Scan velocity modulation (check that one out lol) which causes small spot lights to appear on the screen few a few seconds as a bright object passes over a dark part of the screen. Disgraceful. I am in the process of trying to get rid of my sony widescreen tv. Doubt i'll get a refund though as i have researched it and its not a problem with a tv but rather a very sorry feature of it that would happen with a replacement but hopefully they will not know that and see it as a problem.

4. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i've got the same problems, tony. not sure what the solution is. i'm going to speak to an engineer tomorrow - i've heard it can be improved through the service menu - but i don't hold out much hope. from what i've seen on this site, it's a common problem. i've already had one exchange which has made it better but it's far from perfect.