Sony Widescreen display problem

B

bamber223

4 YEAR OLD SONY 28" WIDESCREEN TV.
Can anyone out there help, I have the above set up; Ariel into Freeview box, Freeview box scarted to TV as is DVD and Video. The screen has faint grey lines horizontally across the screen which seem to get better as the TV warms up (or maybe I just get used to them) but the most annoying problem is on dark images, any bright points of light (teeth, stars etc) project a thin white line from left to right across the screen, this being really noticeable. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this problem. Thanx

I think I know where Paul is coming from.

Feint grey lines: All Sony tubes have two - positioned at about 1/3 and 2/3 of the height of the tube. These are support wires for the shadow mask - Sony's have a unique design which requires this support. Nothing you can do about them.

But....

White streaks - indicative of an ageing tube, I think.

Originally posted by Paul Atreides
How many horizontal lines are there?
Hi,
Thanks for your time. They are evenly spread from top to bottom in approx half inch gaps, as i say noticable when you first turn on the box but seem to fade after a while for a while then come and go, the most annoying is the white streaks when the screen is showing a dark picture. Cheers

Originally posted by nigel
I think I know where Paul is coming from.

Feint grey lines: All Sony tubes have two - positioned at about 1/3 and 2/3 of the height of the tube. These are support wires for the shadow mask - Sony's have a unique design which requires this support. Nothing you can do about them.

But....

White streaks - indicative of an ageing tube, I think.

Ageing tube ?..... I hope not, thanks for your help, cheers.

What you are seeing are flyback lines, these are normally blanked, the problem could be in a number of areas but the flyback transformer or its soldering are principal culprits.
Its not impossible for it to be a tube problem but unlikely. The streaking is related.

Originally posted by HowieC
What you are seeing are flyback lines, these are normally blanked, the problem could be in a number of areas but the flyback transformer or its soldering are principal culprits.
Its not impossible for it to be a tube problem but unlikely. The streaking is related.
Thanks Howiec,
How easy is this to rectify ? Im a dab hand at soldering but is it advisable to remove the back of the set and how accesable would the flyback transformer be ?
Thanx

I really can't recommend DIY repairs, there are very high voltages lurking in the back of a TV set even when its switched off and you really need to know your way round.
A registered Sony service agent would seem the best bet.

Originally posted by nigel
All Sony tubes have two - positioned at about 1/3 and 2/3 of the height of the tube. These are support wires for the shadow mask - Sony's have a unique design which requires this support.

Trinitron does not use shadow mask technology, it has an aperture grille which gives it increased brightness and contrast. An aperture grille, which is a series of vertical wires, must be held in place by one or more horizontal bracing wires depending on the size of the screen.

Originally posted by bamber223
Im a dab hand at soldering but is it advisable to remove the back of the set and how accesable would the flyback transformer be ?

I read that the flyback transformer can be the most dangerous part of a TV, even more than the anode. Speaking of which, does the anode really have 25,000 volts at full charge? :eek:

The Tube stores a significant charge at HV, discharging the anode voltage before comencing work is a golden rule for engineers. Its the sort of voltage that can put a hole through your hand!!!

Even after 48 hours?

Do you know roughly how many volts after switching it off (0 hours)?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom