Question Sony WH-1000XM3 or something else?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by MartinH32, Apr 29, 2019.

1. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    Hi all,
    I've ordered a pair of the Sony's on line and used them for a couple of days on my dog walk. Previously I've been using Sennheiser Momentum 2 on ear earphones.
    I was hoping for a vast difference in sound quality and the Sonys do seem a little clearer but not by a huge margin. I don't really need noise cancelling (as I use them for dog walking mainly in the woods and it's quiet) although Bluetooth is a nice to have.
    So my question, have I made the right decision in the Sony phones or is there a better option for my uses? There is a 30 day returns on the Sony earphones so I can send them back. I have been using the Sonys via bluetooth and my Momentum 2 wired both on an Iphone X which is the main player I'll be using. I'm kind of worried about the build quality of the Sony's too, the Momentum 2 phones seem very good but the Sonys not any better made than my £60 gaming earphones.
    Budget is no more than £300

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    I had the Momentum 2's for a while but sold them and bought the original Sony MDR-1000's.
    I found the sound quality far superior to the Momentum's (I use them wired mostly).
    I then replaced the MDR-1000 with the updated XM3’s late last year not really expecting a big difference in the sound quality but lo and behold they're fantastic with a wider sound stage and separation and to date they're the best headphones I've ever heard.
    Of course all this is subjective.
    I have no fears re the build quality.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,614
    This may be a situation where you answer your own question,

With the statement "I was hoping for a vast difference in sound quality", what were the Senn's lacking that you was looking the Sony to fulfill?

At a certain price point you are side grading rather than upgrading sound. And as you recognise in this segment the price can reflect additional features (noise cancelling, voice assistants and so on) as opposed to 'better sound'.

I know Bluetooth is a desirable feature, but for the sake of testing maybe try the Sony with the cable plugged in and hear how it fares then and also against the Senn

4. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    Thanks for your replies on this. After trying them wired I'm MUCH happier with the sound. I'm hearing more than before and more subtle detail. Still wondering though if it's worth improving on the iphone x DAC by getting a Cyrus Soundkey or Dragonfly DAC. Jury still out on the build quality. However I did get them for just £200 so happy about that :)

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,614
    @MartinH32 yeah wireless not quite at the level of wired but it is valid to choose Bluetooth for the freedom factor.

This though is why some do pay attention to what Bluetooth codec is supported, presumably your Sony supports LDAC but that also requires you to have an LDAC compatible source

6. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    Which sadly the iphone x doesn't have. I didn't think in this day and age it would be an issue - guess you live and learn :(

7. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I bought the Sony's after reading a lot of positive reviews, to say I am disappointed is putting it mildly, they sound in my opinion terrible. I now have put them in a drawer boxed up as new and can't bring myself to use them as they just ruin music! Teach me to trust reviews I guess. I'll be sellling them on here soon as just sat unused- biggest waste of £300 ever!! My Grados which were considerably cheaper (wired SR325e) sound amazing!

8. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    Not just me then - it's rare you see a negative review of them. I got mine as refurb on ebay which gives me 30 days to return. They are packaged up next to me waiting for me to go to the post office. Besides the sound they don't feel to made that substantially either.

9. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Each to their own but I'm surprised to read and certainly don't agree with your last statement and in no way can the sound be described as “terrible”...I wouldn't be using them if that was the case...besides you're not comparing like for like. Your Grado's are “on ear, open-backed”, the Sony's are “over ear, closed-back”. Open-backed on-ear phones tend to give a wider soundstage and be light on bass compared to over-ear, closed back types.
    I take a lot of reviews with a pinch of salt but when the vast majority of them give a product a positive rating they're usually about right.
    Also, it's unfair to compare them pricewise to your Grado's. The Sony's have Bluetooth so that pushes the price up.
    If you're that disappointed with them, rather than sticking them unused in a drawer why not return them for a refund?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  10. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I'm beginning to wonder if the pair I have is faulty as lots of people say they sound good... Maybe I'm being too fussy but I don't think so. I have previously owned Sennheiser HD800 S driven by a Mcintosh MHA100 amplifier which sounded amazing but I hoped the Sonys would at least be usable, to me they sound like there is cotton wool stuffed in the drivers preventing any clarity.

Maybe I'll unbox them again later and have another try, so far I've used them for less than an hour!

11. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I agree regarding reviews, I also take take them with a pinch of salt but had high expectations for the Sonys as several well known sites were raving about them. I do wonder if it's partly because I've never used closed back phones before..

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  12. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Probably that, and the fact you're comparing them to Sennheiser audiophile HD800s costing £1400.

13. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    But then my current Grados cost £269 and sound very good, almost as good as the Sennheisers.

I really like most of Sony's products, just not these headphones..

14. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,614
    Headphone reviews have to be read in the context of like for like headphone category. The HD800 may well provide a wide expansive detailed sound the Sony cannot and will never deliver (quite, many open home headphones do not match the HD800 soundstage), but the HD800, DAC and amp is impractical for a commute or outdoor trip

It's not even necessarily advisable to compare Bluetooth active noise cancelling cans to wired closed home or portable headphones. Compromises for ultimate sound quality still has to be made in exchange for the Bluetooth and active noise cancelling tech
    Congratulations on saving money

Have you looked at the Grado open backed wireless model? No noise cancelling mind.

If your priority is blocking out noise *and* sound quality then a buyer ought to be looking at wired in ear monitors. The asterisk is your ears have to get on with monitors and again they should not be compared to open back home headphones. There is more of a sound quality arms race development for in ear monitors than in Bluetooth noise cancelling sets.

15. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I looked at the Grado wireless phones but they're not compatible with Bluetooth 5 so no aptx HD. Would definitely have tried them otherwise.

Totally get what you're saying re comparing, just frustrated at the outlay for something I'll now have to sell and lose at least £100.. Oh well, live & learn (which I never do ;))

16. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    That's why I always buy online from a retailer with a good/easy return policy like Amazon.

17. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I did buy them from amazon but didn't think to return them and is too late now

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  18. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +982
    I have the 1000MX3 and think they sound great! Using them on LDAC with a Fiio M9 and Sony X800 4k/SACD player. Upgraded from the first generation 1000 and previously Sennheiser HD650.

I just love the freedom the Bluetooth gives and the battery life and noise isolation of the Sony's is fantastic.

Some reviewers were moaning about bass being excessive (which it was a bit at first, but I like bass) but after a few hours of running in, they now sound more balanced. I feel they have a very wide frequency coverage and I'm very happy with them.