Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones introduced - news discussion

I just got a new pair of M3's (amazing headphones, love the noise canceling and sound) - but have a problem when attempting to use them to make a call.

The headphones pick up ALL of the background noise and seem to amplify it to anyone on the call. Is there a way to have the headphones ignore ambient sound and focus on my voice?

Thanks!

-Dan

I just got a new pair of M3's (amazing headphones, love the noise canceling and sound) - but have a problem when attempting to use them to make a call.

The headphones pick up ALL of the background noise and seem to amplify it to anyone on the call. Is there a way to have the headphones ignore ambient sound and focus on my voice?

Thanks!

-Dan

I have exactly the same problem! It is apparently a known issue and extensively reported at Sony's own user forums. Any idea will be appreciated as I am now looking to get a second BT earpiece to handle just calls on the move.....

I've had to return mine for repair/replacement as they developed the dreaded clicking sound whilst walking. Step click step click step click soon gets annoying, loads of others have had the same problem

Sony returned my pair to my local currys as 'unrepaired' with a full credit note. I've gone for a pair of Bose QC35 ii as i don't want to be in the same situation in a few months. Shame really as i loved the sonys

Looking at picking up a pair of these, but the talk of the new firmware messing up the noise cancelling is really putting me off. Anyone here having problems with the new FW? Some sources say it's making no difference, but an awful lot of Joe Public seem to think it is.

Anyone able to comment from experience?

TIA

Looking at picking up a pair of these, but the talk of the new firmware messing up the noise cancelling is really putting me off. Anyone here having problems with the new FW? Some sources say it's making no difference, but an awful lot of Joe Public seem to think it is.

Anyone able to comment from experience?

TIA

Hi - got a pair of these today from eBay £243 brand new. Replacing a pair of Bose on ear QC3 noise cancellers which I loved. Had enough of wires and read some encouraging reviews especially from people using them with an Astell & Kern SR15 digital player. This will be my main use for them when travelling or on holiday. They came with firmware 4.1.1 preloaded and have tried them out all day today, the noise cancelling is great, I was sat next to a fan on full speed and couldn’t hear it even without any music on! I had turned off all the adaptive ambient shit. Cupping the earpiece to mute the sound so you can hear people works well.
Early days but I’m loving them so far. Super comfy, look and feel really nice. Fold up well into the small hard case which is handily supplied with a small USB cable and 3.5mm wired lead.

I purchased a pair of these headphones a week ago, I have to say they’re impressive. I’ve not noticed any issues, wore them in all rooms at home and they sound quality is excellent. I’m only intending to wear these at home, maybe it’s just me but I think people look a bit silly wearing on/over the ear headphones outside. When I’m out I’ll continue to use my Shure 535’s, great sound and more discrete:)

As Sony didn't announce a replacement at IFA it will be interesting to see how these stack up against competitors offerings over the next months.

The cold weather issue does not bother me since I dont intend to use the gesture controls much.

Is the bus issue when headphones are being used via Bluetooth or whn used wired as well?

Can the Bluetooth option be switched off? I intend to use the headphones wired as am not very keen on having Bluetooth emissions near my head for lengthy periods.

Also, does the headband adjust depending on size of head?

The cold weather issue does not bother me since I dont intend to use the gesture controls much.

Is the bus issue when headphones are being used via Bluetooth or whn used wired as well?

Can the Bluetooth option be switched off? I intend to use the headphones wired as am not very keen on having Bluetooth emissions near my head for lengthy periods.

Also, does the headband adjust depending on size of head?
There would be no reason to be concerned about Bluetooth emissions from the headset. The transmitter is either the phone or music player and the headphones are basically a receiver..so not transmitting. They may occasionally send a message back to the phone, such as .". send that passage again, it was corrupted. ". Obviously if no music is being sent, no requests to re-send it are necessary.

There would be no reason to be concerned about Bluetooth emissions from the headset.

The internet is full of articles that express such concern. As long as concerns such as the ones in the excerpt below are not dismissed by substantial research I remain sceptical to use any more wireless devices.

Here's an excerpt from an article on Healthline.com :

"
Coverage took off when a story posted to Medium referencing an appeal from 2015 in which 247 scientists from 42 countries expressed their concern about the health effects associated with exposure to the electromagnetic fields (EMFs) emitted from wireless devices.

The scientists warned that potential health risks of chronic EMF exposure include cancer, genetic damages, neurological disorders, learning and memory deficits, and reproductive issues, among others.

The appeal called on the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations to adopt stricter guidelines for EMF exposure from our wireless devices to better protect people against potentially harmful health effects.

Although there’s been substantial research on the health risks associated with EMFs, there’s been very little on the safety of long-term radiation exposure from Bluetooth or wireless headphones, according to Joel M. Moskowitz, PhD, the director of the Center for Family and Community Health at University of California, Berkeley.

While we currently don’t know the exact health risks associated with chronic use of in-ear wireless earbuds, scientists are beginning to understand the potential harm they may cause." (Ries, 2019).

The internet is full of articles that express such concern. As long as concerns such as the ones in the excerpt below are not dismissed by substantial research I remain sceptical to use any more wireless devices.

Here's an excerpt from an article on Healthline.com :

"
Coverage took off when a story posted to Medium referencing an appeal from 2015 in which 247 scientists from 42 countries expressed their concern about the health effects associated with exposure to the electromagnetic fields (EMFs) emitted from wireless devices.

The scientists warned that potential health risks of chronic EMF exposure include cancer, genetic damages, neurological disorders, learning and memory deficits, and reproductive issues, among others.

The appeal called on the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations to adopt stricter guidelines for EMF exposure from our wireless devices to better protect people against potentially harmful health effects.

Although there’s been substantial research on the health risks associated with EMFs, there’s been very little on the safety of long-term radiation exposure from Bluetooth or wireless headphones, according to Joel M. Moskowitz, PhD, the director of the Center for Family and Community Health at University of California, Berkeley.

While we currently don’t know the exact health risks associated with chronic use of in-ear wireless earbuds, scientists are beginning to understand the potential harm they may cause." (Ries, 2019).
You have misunderstood my comment, either by accident or intentionally. My point is that the Transmission of radio waves by the Headphones is minimal because they are radio RECEIVERS.
Now I don't want to get into a discussion about radio waves and their effect on human tissue . Or the quality of the research reported on the internet. But common sense suggests that a receiver will be much less effective than a transmitter in creating EM fields.

New software update available for the XM3’s.

You have misunderstood my comment, either by accident or intentionally. My point is that the Transmission of radio waves by the Headphones is minimal because they are radio RECEIVERS.
Now I don't want to get into a discussion about radio waves and their effect on human tissue . Or the quality of the research reported on the internet. But common sense suggests that a receiver will be much less effective than a transmitter in creating EM fields.

Certainly accidentally. 😊

My view is that as long as there's no substantial research to prove either way i will approach everything with caution. The point with headphones is that it doesnt matter whether they are Receivers or Transmitters. What matters is their proximity to one's head and the length of use.

The point has been expressed, please take any further discussion of the safety of wireless headphones to a separate thread in general chat and keep this on topic to the product. Ta

I tried a pair of these on earlier in the year and they were a little too big for my head, does anyone know of anyway to make the smaller, any good pad or anything?

Really want to pick up a pair tomorrow.

Thanks

“Too big” in what way?, the ear cups or the headphone band?

I can't think of any way to make it fit other than cutting a thick piece of foam to size and wrapping it or sandwiching it between the band and your head.

I can't think of any way to make it fit other than cutting a thick piece of foam to size and wrapping it or sandwiching it between the band and your head.
I've seen various mods using memory foam and replacement bands and stuff, but mainly for sennheiser. Theres wraps and stuff you can get but I'm not really that knowledgeable on them.

Thanks

I've seen various mods using memory foam and replacement bands and stuff, but mainly for sennheiser. Theres wraps and stuff you can get but I'm not really that knowledgeable on them.

Thanks
I tried these in John Lewis the other day and loved them , seen them on this site are they fakes as they seem too cheap ?

They won't be fake. They have been out over a year and due an upgrade sometime soon, hence sale prices.

Price does not seem 'ridiculously cheap' given that the XM4's will be out later this year. Sony and vendors will probably be looking to reduce current stock ready for the 2020 models.
I still love my XM3s. Made a huge difference to my travel comfort. Paired with my Sony NW-A55 they make a brilliant combination for travel.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom