Sony WH-1000XM3 Audio quality wired

Fraziel

Established Member
Reaction score
I think there was a similar question a while ago, so apologies if there is some crossover, but I couldn't find the answer to my query in it. Hoping someone can help.

Do these sound good using the wire but but with the ANC turned on? I believe they don't sound good wired with ANC turned off in passive mode.

I am not sure my phone supports LDAC and that's the only codec worth using for bluetooth imo so i will be staying wired but I would like a good pair of noise cancellers.

Is it also worth buying a DAC for these such as dragonfly black or Cyrus soundkey? Those made a huge difference when i demo'd them using standard wired AKG cans using my phone.

Thanks

Can you use Sony WH 1000XM3 wired?
Luckily, the headphones can be used in wired, passive mode—just make sure the ANC is off. One more note: The cable has no inline remote, so when plugging it in, all controls revert to your mobile device (unless the headphones are powered on). So I don't think that you can use them wired with NC.

Can you use Sony WH 1000XM3 wired?
Luckily, the headphones can be used in wired, passive mode—just make sure the ANC is off. One more note: The cable has no inline remote, so when plugging it in, all controls revert to your mobile device (unless the headphones are powered on). So I don't think that you can use them wired with NC.
So if the headphones are powered on you can't continue to use your mobile to control track choice and volume? Seems utterly bizarre to not have functionality to allow you to use them wired with NC on. That's what I want them for predominantly.

They can be used with the power off . When the power is off they become conventional headphones but yes when on you can still choose NC and they work regardless to what I put above that was taken from a Google search. So it sounds like good news and yes you can control things but I am using them now with a Sony Music Player hopefully its the same on phone. If your phone supports Ldac its worth using this setting. Hope this helps sorry for the confusion.

They can be used with the power off . When the power is off they become conventional headphones but yes when on you can still choose NC and they work regardless to what I put above that was taken from a Google search. So it sounds like good news and yes you can control things but I am using them now with a Sony Music Player hopefully its the same on phone. If your phone supports Ldac its worth using this setting. Hope this helps sorry for the confusion.

How does that sound to you

Hi, that makes sense,thanks..yeah im not sure if my phone supports ldac. Maybe another thread for that..Its a Samsung and I have contacted Samsung half a dozen times without success to find out. You would think as the phone has no headphone socket that they would tell you as its important. If it supported ldac I'd listen wirelessly as would be good enough to switch from wired. So priority for me is to use wired with NC on Thanks

Google your phone and ask what codecs it has. I have Googled this
How do I turn on Ldac on my Samsung?
Advanced Connection for LDAC: Go to Settings > About phone. Look for the "Androidversion" section of the page. The number listed in this section is the version of the AndroidOS your device is running. If you have Android 8.0 or up, you will have access to the LDACcodec.

Tried it. Can't find it anywhere. I've looked in developer options and the codec options are there but I can't select them. So I don't know what headphones will work and at what audio quality

Tried it. Can't find it anywhere. I've looked in developer options and the codec options are there but I can't select them. So I don't know what headphones will work and at what audio quality
Did you google the name of your phone model using the name ask what codecs it has. or go to the features on the phone or a users manual in a Google search.

Tried all that.
Try this maybe
The Bluetooth codec settings are in the Developer Options menu which need to be unhidden by going into settings /about phone/software Information and then clicking build number 5 times. When you are connected to a device that uses LDAC if LDAC codec isn't being used you can manually change the codec in Developer Options. You can't make LDAC the default Bluetooth codec since it's only compatible with a limited number of devices. SBC will always be the default since it's a universal codec.

Hi, I've opened up the developer options and there is SBC, AAC ,APTX,SCALABLE and LDAC codec options visible but it's stuck on SBC. I can't change it. But I don't have Bluetooth headphones connected and I don't know if I'll have the option to select the codec I want when I connect headphones.

Hi, I've opened up the developer options and there is SBC, AAC ,APTX,SCALABLE and LDAC codec options visible but it's stuck on SBC. I can't change it. But I don't have Bluetooth headphones connected and I don't know if I'll have the option to select the codec I want when I connect headphones.
I think that is the way forward don't you know anyone with a set of Bluetooth headphones it does say above to do it with a device connected but it must be LDAC supported. Its up to you its going to cost you to buy the headphones I got my set off ebay for £135 + P& P but they were 2nd hand but like new and I have loads of headphones / earphones and the Sony's are really good.

I tried connecting to my audio Pro C10 speaker and my pure evoke dab radio. When connected to them I could toggle between aac and sbc. So it does switch. Neither of those two items support ldac or aptx though and I'm not fussed as use WiFi for streaming on the audio Pro. But yeah you're right, moving in right direction. Appreciate your help. Other optIon is akg n60nc . Cheaper and more portable. Dont support ldac but I do like akg cans

So is that a definite that the Sony WH-1000XM3 can be used wired with bluetooth off but noise cancelling on?

So is that a definite that the Sony WH-1000XM3 can be used wired with bluetooth off but noise cancelling on?
Yes, the only thing you lose is the ability to use the touch controls so volume, track selection etc must be controlled on the device in use.
They must be powered on when used in wired mode, that's how they’re designed to be used, without power they are dull and lifeless.

Yes, the only thing you lose is the ability to use the touch controls so volume, track selection etc must be controlled on the device in use.
They must be powered on when used in wired mode, that's how they’re designed to be used, without power they are dull and lifeless.
I am using mine at the moment with power off and they sound just fine like conventional headphones.But that is with my Sony Walkman.

The Sony in totally passive mode .. that is with the device switched off, and the signal cable used, certainly works . I would rank it as a poor performance It is better than many but certainly not 150 quids worth, let alone 300. If you then switch on the unit it takes about 1.5 seconds to stabilise and the noise cancelling switches on, and after another 1/3 second, it starts playing . It is much better in this mode. The control is better. What is happening is that it must be redigitising the analog from the cable , doing the noise cancelling and then turning it back into analog.So it is dependent on the quality of the first DAC.,and if that is poor ... I also use a Sony MDR1A in cable mode, and it is decidedly better., With a good DAC

What is happening is that it must be redigitising the analog from the cable , doing the noise cancelling and then turning it back into analog.So it is dependent on the quality of the first DAC.,and if that is poor ... I also use a Sony MDR1A in cable mode, and it is decidedly better., With a good DAC
I seriously doubt this is the case as the headphones would need a ADC chip.

I'm waiting on these headphones being delivered myself. I wouldn't think of using them switched off and used passively, I'd buy traditional passive headphones that do a better job here.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom