Question Sony Warranty Replacement

Kailash

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi
i have the sony kdl-40hx723
its developed some persistent issues with a bar appearing on the screen
i had taken out the 5 year extended warranty

they are going to replace it with this kdl-42w829B (slightly bigger model but not sure of picture quality)

do you have any say in the replacement or can you ask for payment
has anyone had experience of extended warranty with sony and replacements?

or replacements in general from other manufacturers, do you get whatever they offer from experience?

(do they take your faulty one away? i'd probably keep it if i had the option)

Last edited:
If it is an official Sony warranty I would ask for the KDL-43w809 model as yours had a 100hz panel and the model they are trying to replace it with is a 50hz panel and TV from last years range, so the motion will be nowhere as good

The HX was a 200Hz even iirc and indeed the 42" 829B is not a worthy replacement. The suggested 43W809C is indeed what you should be asking for, if anything just throw it on the passive 3D vs the active on the HX and 809C difference ;).

the TV arrived and it didn't even have a stand or remote. looked like it was some sort of refurb. not sure if they can do that.
also it had been damaged in transit, panel looked bent almost, large ding in it.
think i'll say about the above TV too

the replacement is Motionflow XR 400 Hz, i take it thats not the same thing as my TV that is 200hz?

Nope that's not the same. Unfortunately the Hz rating of a TV is now pure nonsense in getting a real world judge on the motion. All manufacturers have their own measuring/rating system and when you bought your TV. That's particular Sony TV that is rated at 400Hz is in fact no better on the motion than the very entry level model from you bought your original TV.

yeah i can't see anywhere it states the frames per second on the new one
i sent an email saying i'd prefer a different TV
they haven't bothered coming back to original email even
we'll see what happens. :confused:

Where did you buy the TV from? The retailer generally will be able to argue your case more effectively if they are service centre also

ok, yeah it's a local sony centre, i'll give them a call asap see what they suggest

Absolutely do that, I work in a Sony centre and often get a customers replacement TV upgraded for them. The trouble is the guys at the other end that offer these replacement sets don't actually fully know and understand specs of each TV, whereas the guys selling them know them inside out (well, at Sony Centres they do, not so much the big chains)

Absolutely do that, I work in a Sony centre and often get a customers replacement TV upgraded for them. The trouble is the guys at the other end that offer these replacement sets don't actually fully know and understand specs of each TV, whereas the guys selling them know them inside out (well, at Sony Centres they do, not so much the big chains)
thanks
what is their role exactly with the extended warranty, can they liase Sony, are they obliged to do anything

Your contract is with the retailer itself not Sony, although Sony Centre warranties are official manufacturer extensions. There role is to liaise with Sony and get a satisfactory replacement for your original TV of at least similar specification or greater if this is not possible. We pride ourselves on being the place to go for Sony products and if you explain that the set you have been given in replacement is poorer on the motion and black levels are inferior due to being an IPS panel, then suggest the model we discussed (the 43W809) is a direct replacement due to having the proper motion flow options and being active 3D.

It is just a type of LCD panel, as opposed to the VA type. Both have their pros and cons but the biggest downfall of an IPS panel is that the native black level is not very good so the picture can look a bit lacking in depth and detail in darker scenes

went into the sony store today. they are going to intervene all being well

To note: the 42W829B doesn't have an IPS panel but is a rare passive 3D VA panel. Check out the hdtvtest.co.uk review for black level and contrast ratio ...
Also the HX723 was hardly entry level, probably cost twice the 829B.
But you can always use the active vs passive 3D argument and mention passive doesn't do Full HD 3D but halves the resolution so you 'prefer' a set with active 3D. Not that Sony's active 3D is anything to write home about ...

ive negotiated the 43W809, seems they send it in a plain box and the stand and remote come seperate
apparently they reserve the right to use refurbished panels which i had a suspicion the first one was. are they well checked? where are they likely to come from

folks got my replacement, but it won't turn on. it all came from france and got this adapter with it. bought a 3 pin adapter too but nothing. hope i haven't blew it up or something
20160126_233507.jpg

its just decided to come on :confused::clap:
will let yous know what picture is like tomorrow :smashin:

picture seems pretty good on this, the test will be with motion i think
things i've learnt though, if you have a sony extended warranty and need to use it , Go straight to shop you bought it from if possible and deal with them
if you deal with sony direct expect slow email responses and slow delivery as everything comes from France
the panel will come sperately with no stand , remote etc, and you will have to wait another week or more for it to arrive.
you might have to haggle for a better set more equal to what you had
hasnt been a great experience, but what i have enjoyed surprisingly is not having a TV. it has made me get on with other things :p

can't get the 3D working
i have the Sony tdg-br250 3d glasses

didnt think the tech had changed in newer glasses, just the shape?
or is there something else to check

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Those glasses won't work as they use IR rather than the new Bluetooth standards. You need the tdgbt500 ones. Any Bluetooth active glasses should work also, they don't have to be Sony (with the exception of Panasonic glasses)

thanks, i've asked them if they are going to replace them as the TV was faulty. i have 3 pairs of those glasses

They won't replace the glasses as they werent part of the original TV, so unfortunately, it is up to you to replace them

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom