Sony Walkman + Headphone Amp

freegrazer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I've just bought an NWZ-E585 Sony Walkman mp3 player. It is to be a Christmas present for my father, but of course I opened it and had a go of it (only to make sure it was working okay....I swear!)

Well, it works fine and is a nice little device, but in my opinion the audio quality is fairly crappy for a device that cost me €130. However, I must point out that I am somewhat of an audiophile and I'm far too used to using high end equipment and the best quality formats, so perhaps it only sounds crappy to my seasoned/spoiled ears. It certainly could be better, clearer, and a bit louder.

So having tested the device and being satisfied with it's functions and features, I feel it would benefit greatly from a headphone amp. I've been having a look at the FiiO E11 headphone amp, seems like the perfect piece of kit to go with the player. I have one or two things I need to verify before I go and buy it though.

What I'm trying to find out is:

1. Has anybody used the NWZ-E585 with an amp? Was there much improvement with the amp?

2. Does anybody know if the FiiO L5 cable will fit the NWZ-E585? I remember reading somewhere
that this new mp3 player has a slightly different port to previous Walkman mp3 players (z series for example).

3. Would the FiiO E17 be a better choice than the E11? The E17 is a DAC as well as an amp. I think the headphones my father uses while out and about or at work are the Sennheiser PX 100 (mk-ii). But when listening at home he sometimes borrows my Sennheiser HD 650's (when I'm not looking!).

I'd appreciate any help or advice you guys might offer. Cheers.

You have a euro-capped Walkman which basically means the volume is capped at about 85% of other non-euro Walkman's, this can affect the sound-quality at higher levels (it did with my short lived A-Series). I'll try to answer your questions as best I can...

1) I've used various amps with my Walkman Z1070 (Japan import) with varying results though none negative. The FiiO E12 added a touch of warmth, both my Neco and Heir amps brought different flavours. An amp will add power to your Walkman which will make headphones easier to drive given the euro-cap.

2) Every Walkman I've owned has had the same WM-Port and I can't see Sony changing for one model, the L5 cable fits my WM-Z and offers a proper line-out into a amp (should be the same for your Walkman), you can also amp via the headphone out via a mini-mini jack... FiiO supply a mini-mini jack with their amps but you'll have to order a L5 separately.

You won't be able to connect your Walkman to a E17 to use as a DAC but you'll be able to use it as a amp via a mini-mini jack.

I'll pm you tomorrow as I want to check something else on the best amp solution.

Hey man,

Thanks for the info. I'd forgotten about that euro-capped bullshit. I've been using my mobile phone (HTC One) as my music player when out and about, and that gives a little warning when you turn volume up to "dangerous levels", but the volume and quality are absolutely fine for that kind of use. I haven't had to deal with a euro-capped device in years, I didn't think they still implemented the cap. The way I see it, if I want to risk damaging my hearing, it should be my choice!!

Anyway, can I assume that by using the L5 cable to connect an amp to the Walkman it will give me slightly better sound than connecting with the 3.5 to 3.5 cable (seeing as I'll be bypassing the Walkman's internal amp)?

I've been reading further about the E17, and apparently the amp on the E11 is a little better, so I think the E17 has now been ruled out. I appreciate your help buddy, I'll be sure to wait and hear your other recommendations before I go buy the E11.

Cheers my man

I don't get any real difference using the WM-Port via the L5 as a line-out, the headphone out on Walkman's brings the same imo. Using via a line-out (L5) may by-pass the volume-cap but I'm not sure. I haven't owned a E11 so can't comment on it's power to drive full-sized cans, the E12 will power your HD-650's but not sure on the E11... buy from Amazon to be safe on E11, you can return it if it doesn't suit your requirements.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom