Sony W95 series (KDL-55W955B/ 65W955B) BRAVIA TV owners' thread

Stoatie

Standard Member
Happy New Year Van Dam et al!

My goodness, I've been a loooong time away from this forum, devoting my efforts to other matters such as HUKD and pointing people to some amazing 4KTV (Sony) bargains, etc. In truth, there hasn't been much more to say about the W95, other than it's matured into a superb Full HDTV and whilst I could get 4Ks for less than my W95, I couldn't justify changing last year and continue to enjoy it!

But today is a New Year ;) so lets see what CES brings and perhaps, like petrol prices at the moment, prices may tumble even more... in the mean time this morning a PS4 is in the wings (via Flubit for £272, hammering all prices including Argos) so time to appreciate it before my move to 4K!

Thanks for your comments and valuable contributions, no doubt I will meet you in 4K land :beer:
Happy New year Nirm, out of interest if you was to purchase a 4k set now what would go for? Prices have tumbled on them at a fast pace but I'm truly happy with my W955 so not been tempted.....yet :rolleyes:

Nirm

Happy New year Nirm, out of interest if you was to purchase a 4k set now what would go for? Prices have tumbled on them at a fast pace but I'm truly happy with my W955 so not been tempted.....yet :rolleyes:
Happy New Year too, Stoatie!

All I know is that it will NOT be a curved TV, even if it is a Sony! One of the major pros of the W95 over the legendary W905 is the great viewing angles and the idea of the family huddling around a curved screen (unless 100"+) is simply ridiculous... we tried it an airport with Samsung TVs and the concept simply didn't make work, so much so that Samsung had to put up a video wall of 3 screens to convince us... and then the room it took up was totally crazy! With Amazon now streaming 4K movies (we moved to Amazon movies as it miles cheaper than SKY movies, Prime added to boot or vice versa!) I can see a move later this year... watch this forum. Have a great evening. N :beer:

ThePelicashka

Novice Member
Happy New Year everyone!

Today while dusting my 55W955 I was surprised to find that the "glass" of the screen is loose. If you push gently on the left or on the right of the panel it just budges in. o_O

This is rather shocking to say the least. I have no idea why would it be loose. I am very happy with the TV but this is just weird. I've googled this and could not find any similar issues. Could be an isolated case?

Could someone please check whether their panels sit tight in the frame? It would be interesting to know... Not sure what to do next. :thumbsdow

Nirm

Happy New Year everyone!

Today while dusting my 55W955 I was surprised to find that the "glass" of the screen is loose. If you push gently on the left or on the right of the panel it just budges in. o_O

This is rather shocking to say the least. I have no idea why would it be loose. I am very happy with the TV but this is just weird. I've googled this and could not find any similar issues. Could be an isolated case?

Could someone please check whether their panels sit tight in the frame? It would be interesting to know... Not sure what to do next. :thumbsdow
Not that I don't dust, but I have never really pushed the screen in... until now! Basically all the corners are tight, however, the bottom left does push in very slightly (perhaps 1mm) with some "gentle" force, so basically I would say it's not loose. I do recollect somewhere on a forum an issue with one refurbished set purchased from the Sony Outlet a very tight fit that caused pressure on the screen corners and basically was either put badly together or more likely suffered from a substantial jolt during transit. If it is really loose and perhaps causing vibrations when using the built-in speakers then I would be inclined to ask for a repair, else I would I accept a certain amount of "give" is by design :lesson:

ThePelicashka

Novice Member
Not that I don't dust, but I have never really pushed the screen in... until now! Basically all the corners are tight, however, the bottom left does push in very slightly (perhaps 1mm) with some "gentle" force, so basically I would say it's not loose. I do recollect somewhere on a forum an issue with one refurbished set purchased from the Sony Outlet a very tight fit that caused pressure on the screen corners and basically was either put badly together or more likely suffered from a substantial jolt during transit. If it is really loose and perhaps causing vibrations when using the built-in speakers then I would be inclined to ask for a repair, else I would I accept a certain amount of "give" is by design :lesson:

Many thanks for checking that, Nirm! I also did not use any force other than dusting with a microfibre cloth very lightly. Still, the screen gives in by 2-3mm on the right and on the left like it's not attached to anything. :confused: I will give Sony a call and hear what they have to say.

ThePelicashka

Novice Member
OK, here's an update. I've spoken with an official Sony service representative and he has ensured me that having a bit of movement of a screen was perfectly normal and that this is how these TVs are made.

"Just try not to push it any more". :)

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
My local John Lewis Outlet Store is selling a 55W955 for £799 with a 12 month warranty, but the comments reviews make about the poor black level puts me off. Is this something Sony has been able to improve with software updates?

johnr2110

My local John Lewis Outlet Store is selling a 55W955 for £799 with a 12 month warranty, but the comments reviews make about the poor black level puts me off. Is this something Sony has been able to improve with software updates?
Must be a refurbished model. JL online has them priced at £999 with a five year warranty.

SilentHill89

Is the 955 any better thn the w829 because I had that & wasn't impressed with its underwhelmin PQ despite wt reviews hv said. Ideally i'd get the 905 but I don't spendin a grand on ebay.

Nirm

I dip in and out of this thread as this (my) TV is now relatively mature... what did you go for? In truth we are still more than happy with this TV, despite having toyed with 4K versions. Majority of reviews are completely out of date and misleading, especially as initial software updates went some way to improving and of course own tweaking helped a lot. To summarise, this is a perfect family TV that excels in brighter conditions that most "normal" families view in. if you're after a cinema-like dark room experience it does fall down a bit (but not desperately so), built in sound is amongst the best around, as is build quality and unique shape (which lends to sound). There is an issue with the Amazon Instant Video app (choppiness) which is due to an HTML5 problem and apparently is across all 2014 Sony Smart TVs... I do hope it is resolved, but at the moment if you use Amazon, use a PS3/ 4 which actually show streams in 1080p and is better than SKY, quality wise! Thoroughly recommended TV (currently £1K inc VAT in Costco!)... we are not in any hurry to change :clap:

SilentHill89

Are the blacks really not black enough even with updates?. I've got this tv in my room now un-opened because it was sent to me by mistake. Is it worth tryin before I return it

m_cozzy

Well mine arrived today after much deliberation between the w855 & the samsung h7000, both in 60". I had already discounted the w955 based on the poor reviews & thinking 65" was too large for my room.
Primary use is ps4 & netflix, I have no interest in 4k, 3d (EDIT the w955 simulated 3d is excellent!) or curved, im not an av buff who frets over the slightest imperfection.
Ultimately using man logic bigger equals better (plus low input lag) so the choice was made.
Only had time for a quick game of bf4, it looked bloody superb!! coming for a 2012 50w6 model.
I was surprised though that the hdmi input didnt seem to pass 5.1 through to the amp from the ps4, I though that would be a standard feature these days. (EDIT the tv does pass dolby, the ps4 had reverted for some reason.
Will check out the picture setting thread later and do some tweaking. (EDIT ater a few days I see no need to twiddle, its still looks superb to me.

Last edited:

GiganticDays

Can anyone tell me how to switch between Freeview & Freesat (I have both connected)?

GiganticDays

Also, the EPG for Freesat doesn't seem to be populating correctly; most channels show "No event information"

fristil

Ordered a 65" a couple of days ago. Didn't see any reviews of it and now afterwords I'm a bit worried. But I think it will do well in my new apartment and I usually don't have pitch black in the room, always lights on.

GiganticDays

Can anyone tell me how to switch between Freeview & Freesat (I have both connected)?

Also, the EPG for Freesat doesn't seem to be populating correctly; most channels show "No event information"

Tried contacting Sony customer support about this but they seem useless - just getting stock answers.
Anyone who has this set able to help?

GiganticDays

OK, so Sony customer support came back to me to explain that the Sat tuner is not Freesat and thus does not have the Freesat EPG. They directed me to the Guide & Search feature which I had seen mentioned on another forum (info is provided by Gracenote via internet connection).
This works but seems to reload every time you access it, similar to the Humax guide (which is a major pain incidentally).
I figured out myself how to switch between Freeview & Sat.
To do this press "Guide", "Options", "Broadcast Type" & choose which you want.

GiganticDays

I'm considering an external USB HDD for recording purposes.
3 things: I already have one I could use to test performance but there are dire warnings on Sony's site saying the drive will not be usable with any other devices after the TV formats it. Is that true or will it just need reformatting?
Are bus-powered drives OK with this TV & do they perform well enough?
Any drive capacity limits?

EL Dukeo

Ive had my 55 for some time now and yes in day light its great BUT in low light conditions the blacks and blooming of the back light really kill this tv for me. Also the wifi keeps on cutting out which makes netflix viewing a chore sometimes having to reset it.
I was lucky to get this set cheap thanks to a sony mistake on their website so cant really complain at the price I got it but looking at it now I dont think id pay the currys asking for the 65.

john2303

Picked one of the W95 for £650 from currys yesterday and very happy with it - has anyone got a list of the best settings that I can apply to make it an even better viewing experience?

Van Dam

Distinguished Member

harj85

This is available in costco for £600 inc VAT, but no remote, there were a few but may have been display models. Worth a punt for this much surely? Are the blacks that bad or have they got better? Wouldn't want to ruin movies at night!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $70 billion
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio joins BluOS Audio Ecosystem
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro expands C10 MkII speaker range with new colours
  • By Andy Bassett