Sony W95 series (KDL-55W955B/ 65W955B) BRAVIA TV owners' thread

Stoatie

Standard Member
First of all I wanted to say thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I found it very useful when deciding on whether to get this TV or not. That is why when I noticed some banding/DSE with my new KDL-65W950B, I figured I'd ask all of you for your opinion.

It is definitely noticeable in certain scenes where the camera is panning, but I'm hesitant to get a replacement if the new set will be just as bad or worse. I've included a picture and a video for you to check out. If it's hard to see any banding on the picture, you may have to adjust the up/down angle at which you are viewing it on your screen. I could see it plain as day on my iPhone, but when viewed from my laptop, I had to tilt it back so I was looking up at screen.

View attachment 528210

Here is the video on youtube: You'll probably need to watch it in 1080p so you can pick out the banding/DSE better. Focus on the part where they pan across the room with the beige colored walls. It's a little tougher to see it in this video vs watching it on the TV itself, but it's still there.

Any thoughts? I would like it to be better because it is annoying and I want a really good viewing experience, but if you all have experienced similar banding/DSE, then maybe that's how these TVs are. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
I have had this set for about a month now and I have not experienced any banding at all. Watch a lot of football on it too which is when banding usually rears its ugly head but thankfully I've had no banding or dse whatsoever. Does your banding appear on all content or just sd or hd channels? If the banding is bad enough to ruin your viewing experience then I would suggest you try for a replacement set and then pray hard that it's a good one.

Van Dam

Distinguished Member
My current set has some minor banding which I can live with. My previous W95 was a lot worse which was the main reason it was replaced. Bear in mind good overall screen uniformity is harder to achieve with larger screen sizes.

@ FullSynthetic
A warm welcome to AVForums BTW

FullSynthetic

Novice Member
I have had this set for about a month now and I have not experienced any banding at all. Watch a lot of football on it too which is when banding usually rears its ugly head but thankfully I've had no banding or dse whatsoever. Does your banding appear on all content or just sd or hd channels? If the banding is bad enough to ruin your viewing experience then I would suggest you try for a replacement set and then pray hard that it's a good one.

From what I've noticed, I've seen the banding on all content if I look hard enough (HD and SD). However, it is mostly obvious when there is horizontal panning present against a flat/uniform color (such as in the video example I posted). The banding does annoy me, but then again, I'm looking for a very good viewing experience, so anything not perfect is kind of annoying ;) It would be nice to know if your experience with having no banding on the W95 is common or the exception to the rule. Based on what others have said, seems like you maybe the lucky one :) Can you confirm that what you see in the picture and video that I posted is definitely worse than the TV you have? I'm guessing that since you said you have no banding at all, my examples are worse.

FullSynthetic

Novice Member
My current set has some minor banding which I can live with. My previous W95 was a lot worse which was the main reason it was replaced. Bear in mind good overall screen uniformity is harder to achieve with larger screen sizes.

@ FullSynthetic
A warm welcome to AVForums BTW

I know it's kind of difficult, but it would be very helpful if you could try and compare the banding examples I provided (both the picture and video at 1080p) to both your old and new TV. It would be good to know if my banding problem is worse than your old TV, better than your new TV or somewhere in the middle.

It sounds like so far, the consensus here is that some banding is common, it's just a question of is it bad enough to justify an exchange. Can anyone provide any opinions on if the banding shown in the picture and video that I posted is pretty bad or fairly minor? I know a lot of this comes down to personal preference and that is exactly what I'm looking for. In other words, if this was your TV, would you stick with it or try your luck on a different one?

Stoatie

Standard Member
From what I've noticed, I've seen the banding on all content if I look hard enough (HD and SD). However, it is mostly obvious when there is horizontal panning present against a flat/uniform color (such as in the video example I posted). The banding does annoy me, but then again, I'm looking for a very good viewing experience, so anything not perfect is kind of annoying ;) It would be nice to know if your experience with having no banding on the W95 is common or the exception to the rule. Based on what others have said, seems like you maybe the lucky one :) Can you confirm that what you see in the picture and video that I posted is definitely worse than the TV you have? I'm guessing that since you said you have no banding at all, my examples are worse.
I have certainly never noticed any banding on my set like in your video and I'm a fussy bugger so if I had of I probably would have exchanged it straight away. Ive researched just about every set to death over the last two months and it seems no matter which one you go for (even top end 4K models that cost more than double the W95) they all have to a certain degree dse/banding/backlight issues etc, unless you get a good set which is more common than not to. It really does seems a lottery as to whether you get a good set or not which is highly frustrating. Thankfully I seem to have a very good one so far and I am absolutely thrilled with the W95.

Van Dam

Distinguished Member
Sad news but I'm parting ways with my W95. I'm leaving to join the X9005B club. A big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread, especially Nirm, I hope you all continue to enjoy this much underrated but superb TV.

Stoatie

Standard Member
Sad news but I'm parting ways with my W95. I'm leaving to join the X9005B club. A big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread, especially Nirm, I hope you all continue to enjoy this much underrated but superb TV.
The X9 Looks a brilliant tv, out of my price range unfortunately, but out of interest what made you bin off the W95?

Van Dam

Distinguished Member
The X9 Looks a brilliant tv, out of my price range unfortunately, but out of interest what made you bin off the W95?

Purely the price of the X9. I didn't really intend to replace my W95 but when you can get a refurbished 55X9005B for £929 then it's a no brainer. I got it today from the Sony Outlet store.

Stoatie

Standard Member
Purely the price of the X9. I didn't really intend to replace my W95 but when you can get a refurbished 55X9005B for £929 then it's a no brainer. I got it today from the Sony Outlet store.
Wow that's an amazing price. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it and how it compares to the W95, is the quality worth the extra money if bought at current shop price?

Van Dam

Distinguished Member
A new 55X9 is currently double the cost of a W95 in the same screen size. Is it £1250 better than a W95? I don't think so. However it is a 4K TV so that's the premium you are paying for. But I think the quality of both TVs are amazing, I'm a huge fan of the Wedge design.

Stoatie

Standard Member
Does anybody know if it is possible to make picture setting changes whilst watching a blu ray? At the moment I have to make changes when no content is playing and the player switched off, this is a bit annoying as I cannot immediately see what effect the changes have when made.

Van Dam

Distinguished Member
Does anybody know if it is possible to make picture setting changes whilst watching a blu ray? At the moment I have to make changes when no content is playing and the player switched off, this is a bit annoying as I cannot immediately see what effect the changes have when made.

Yes, you should be able to change picture settings if you have deactivated BRAVIA Sync Conrol. To turn off BRAVIA sync in the settings menu go to; Settings >External Inputs >BRAVIA Sync Settings> BRAVIA Sync Control: off

Hope that works for you. :)

Stoatie

Standard Member
Yes, you should be able to change picture settings if you have deactivated BRAVIA Sync Conrol. To turn off BRAVIA sync in the settings menu go to; Settings >External Inputs >BRAVIA Sync Settings> BRAVIA Sync Control: off

Thanks Van Dam, I'll give that a try tonight. Hope all is going well with the X9.

Van Dam

Distinguished Member
Thanks Van Dam, I'll give that a try tonight. Hope all is going well with the X9.
It's been quite an enjoyable month that I've had with the new telly, I've been really pleased with it so far, it's a brilliant TV cheers. :)

Stoatie

Standard Member

This worked, thanks and merry Xmas buddy.

Van Dam

Distinguished Member
This worked, thanks and merry Xmas buddy.
Glad it worked and wishing you and everyone in the LCD TV Forum a Happy Christmas.

HeavenlyFlawed*

Standard Member
i'm really confused, i've been choosing between the 55 W829 vs 60W605 and now i noticed a 60W855 for almost the same price as the 60W605.

is the W855 the same tv most are criticising in this thread? can anyone hep me understand where this W855 stacks up against the w829/W605?

the price difference between the w605 and w855 on currys is £250.

both 60"

desinho

Van Dam

Distinguished Member
i'm really confused, i've been choosing between the 55 W829 vs 60W605 and now i noticed a 60W855 for almost the same price as the 60W605.

is the W855 the same tv most are criticising in this thread? can anyone hep me understand where this W855 stacks up against the w829/W605?

the price difference between the w605 and w855 on currys is £250.

both 60"

This thread is for the W95 (W95*) series. The W85 is a higher mid-range series TV, and is available only in 60inch size and sits between the W8 and W95 series. The W85 is simillar to the W8 except that it features the Wedge design for increased audio performance. The W6 is a lower mid-range TV and compared to W8/ W85/ W95 will differ a lot spec wise. The W95 is still the highest spec'ed non 4K TV with Wedge design and the only model that features the Triluminos display.

Buy SONY BRAVIA KDL60W855BBU Smart 3D 60" LED TV | Free Delivery | Currys

its not coming up on the sony website, hence confusion :S

Smart TVs | 60 Inch LED & 3D TVs | W850B Series Televisions | Sony UK

HeavenlyFlawed*

Standard Member
Quite hard to miss? Televisions | Flat Screen & LED TVs | HD & Full HD TVs | Sony UK (Smart TVs | 60 Inch LED & 3D TVs | W850B Series Televisions | Sony UK
In short, edge-lit, probably same* panel as 60W605B, but in luxury housing with better sound.

* or at least a similar one by Sharp as well, probably the only provider of 60" panels; Samsung for one also uses them for their 60" models.

This thread is for the W95 (W95*) series. The W85 is a higher mid-range series TV, and is available only in 60inch size and sits between the W8 and W95 series. The W85 is simillar to the W8 except that it features the Wedge design for increased audio performance. The W6 is a lower mid-range TV and compared to W8/ W85/ W95 will differ a lot spec wise. The W95 is still the highest spec'ed non 4K TV with Wedge design and the only model that features the Triluminos display.

Smart TVs | 60 Inch LED & 3D TVs | W850B Series Televisions | Sony UK

thanks a lot guys, apologies - i was searching models like "KDL60W855" in the search field (this was how i found the w605 and w829).

i feel like i understand a lot more now, the w855 is basically a better version of the w829 and closer to the w95? question; why is the w95 worse than the w855 (or at least has so much criticism?)

can you confirm that the differences you're referring to spec wise between the w829 and the w6 are just features such as 3D / Smart / Audio? are they not basically the same (bar edge lit vs direct lit) picture quality? i think I'm going with the 60w605 because its 60 inches. but if the w829 has noticeably better PQ then i might settle with the w829. but so far most have told me the w605 is about the same or even a little better?

amazon is holding a flash sale today on the W855 and currys is selling it for 1099. decisions decisions.. the W855 should be the W6 but more features/better? but I'm not convinced on edge lit, thats the only thing.

by the way.. does all 3 W829/W605/W855 all use VA panels? or are any of these IPS?

Last edited:

Nirm

Happy New Year Van Dam et al!

My goodness, I've been a loooong time away from this forum, devoting my efforts to other matters such as HUKD and pointing people to some amazing 4KTV (Sony) bargains, etc. In truth, there hasn't been much more to say about the W95, other than it's matured into a superb Full HDTV and whilst I could get 4Ks for less than my W95, I couldn't justify changing last year and continue to enjoy it!

But today is a New Year ;) so lets see what CES brings and perhaps, like petrol prices at the moment, prices may tumble even more... in the mean time this morning a PS4 is in the wings (via Flubit for £272, hammering all prices including Argos) so time to appreciate it before my move to 4K!

Thanks for your comments and valuable contributions, no doubt I will meet you in 4K land :beer:

Van Dam

Distinguished Member
Gonna raise a glass to that! Happy New year Nirm, and also to everyone here in the LCD TV forum, may you all continue to enjoy your tellies in 2015. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $70 billion
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio joins BluOS Audio Ecosystem
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro expands C10 MkII speaker range with new colours
  • By Andy Bassett