Sony W905 replacment

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Hi

I'm trying to help my parents with a new TV, they have my old Sony W905 currently which still works fine but It's getting on a bit now and want something with all the smart apps like Netflix, Disney +...

I think the Sony w905 was a flagship TV as new, but I'm looking at something more reasonably priced for them.

Budget around £300-400

Can't remember the exact size of tv now, think its 42" or maybe less, in any case 55" is too big for the area it needs to go.

Can anyone recommend what to look at with this budget in mind?

Thank you

vickster

Distinguished Member
I have the 32” version of this, good picture, decent sound, has the apps

If wanting something a bit bigger say 50”
Eg LG 50UN73006LA, 50 inch UHD 4k LED TV with Freeview

Certainly won’t be flagship tho (those will be at least double your top budget). Also 2020 LGs have some apps but not U.K. catch up other than iplayer I think

buying guide...

gunner84

Distinguished Member
I have the 32” version of this, good picture, decent sound, has the apps

If wanting something a bit bigger say 50”
Eg LG 50UN73006LA, 50 inch UHD 4k LED TV with Freeview

Certainly won’t be flagship tho (those will be at least double your top budget). Also 2020 LGs have some apps but not U.K. catch up other than iplayer I think

buying guide...

Thank you very much, size wise 50" is too big for the area it needs to go, I will study that LG you linked, good price and I can get some discount from Argos.

tvdavid

you really need to look at the Sony XH95 49 inch no other tv will come close or the LG CX but are way more I would keep your tv I just sold mine the XH95 is a much sharper picture.

vickster

Distinguished Member
you really need to look at the Sony XH95 49 inch no other tv will come close or the LG CX but are way more I would keep your tv I just sold mine the XH95 is a much sharper picture.
Isn't it about £850 though? Double his budget.
He also says 50” is too big so probably 49” too

tvdavid

other tvs just wil not be as good defo better saving up.

vickster

Distinguished Member
I don’t think he’s looking for the best TV out there :) more one that meets budget and size requirements

I got my parents one of these just before xmaswhich they’re happy with...however I got for just over £300 (with JL staff discount). However at say £80 more than the LG I don’t think it’s that much better although the warranty is vs Argos.

that said if the LG is under £300, I wouldn’t personally worry about the shorter warranty all things being equal.

Dodgexander

Your going to get quite the downgrade coming from a W905 to a low tier model today, really you want to aim at least for a mid tier TV like the Sony XH9005 or if you can't fit 55" the 49" XH9505. I personally wouldn't change the TV and instead by a Roku for smart duty unless you can spend more.

tvdavid

if you really need to save money another I would look at a used plasma tv from LG or Panasonic as these will be about as good I got a used LG 50pk9590 for just £50 the other month its a very good picture to.

gunner84

Distinguished Member

I have a LG CX myself, I was specifically after a low budget tv for my parents with all the apps, adding a device is a good alternative but it’s already a bit messy with other stuff in the tv cabinet, so wanted a tv with the apps.

tvdavid

is this to big?

scratch that seems no stock maybe this

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom