Sony W829 (KDL-50W829) Reviewer's Recommended Best Settings

What do you recommend for picture settings when I play PS4?

Only the best of the best is good enough! ;)

I'll get the W828 (W829) today!:hiya:

So much people with this TV, yet so little settings posted..... maybe thats a good thing and that most people are happy with there set.

After posting the settings from flatpanelsHD I have went back to Mark's settings from here. They seems slightly better, as I don't think I'm a fan of having the brightness all the way to 10 and the contrast at 90, seems a little bit too much.

My settings
cinema 2 (day)
backlight, 5
contrast, 86
brightness, 50
colour,50
hue,0
colour temp, warm 2
sharpness, 40
noise reduction, off
MPEG noise reduction, off
dot noise reduction, off
reality creation, manual
resolution, 14
noise filtering, min
smooth graduation, low
motionflow, true cinema
film mode, auto

Advanced settings

black corrector, off
contrast enhancer, off
gamma, -2
auto light limiter, off
clear white, off
live colour, off

White Balance

R gain, -2
G gain, -14
B gain, -4
R bias, 0
G bias, 0
B bias, -2

detail enhancer, off
edge enhancer, off
skin naturaliser,off

Night settings as above but backlight on 3.

I went on this morning to buy that and it was gone lol see you.... :)

I'll just keep my eye out! Good price without a doubt!

They had a silver one on there as well, both have gone. They seem to get stock in every few days so always check first thing in the morning. If you are a Quidco user there is a 2% cashback offer as well: Sony Outlet Voucher Codes, Cashback & Discount Codes | Quidco
TV is being delivered today so that is next day delivery, can't be bad.

They had a silver one on there as well, both have gone. They seem to get stock in every few days so always check first thing in the morning. If you are a Quidco user there is a 2% cashback offer as well: Sony Outlet Voucher Codes, Cashback & Discount Codes | Quidco
Aye that's good mate, I actually noticed the quidco cash back this morning! Will be happy days if I manage to get one :) enjoy your new purchase! :)

Oh can you let me know if it's in top notch condition? Don't mind about packaging just the tv cosmetically!

Arrived about an hour ago and it is perfect, not a mark on it and everything was in the box. Would never know it was a refurb. Now to see about getting the settings correct.....

Arrived about an hour ago and it is perfect, not a mark on it and everything was in the box. Would never know it was a refurb. Now to see about getting the settings correct.....
Suberb mate, I'm actually toying with the 55" 905 now, only because if I went to 50, would I be as well getting a 55" lol but by all accounts I think the screen is basically the same on both!

Would I be wrong in saying the kdl50w705bbu is the exact same TV as the kdl50w829 except without 3D?

Smaller sizes of the 705 vary hz and motionflow options but the 50inch 705 I am quite sure is the same and therefore these calibration settings apply :)

One thing to note also is despite both TVs having extremely low input lag, the 705 is faster and maybe due to the lack of 3D functionality. Who knows; seems like a good option considering the 3D capability of the 829 isn't great.

More info appreciated :)

Also how are you guys calibrating? With high tech equipment or calibration cd or both? I am thinking of purchasing Disney WOW but would like your opinions.

Cheers

I'm obviously missing something, I don't see a cinema 1 in picture mode, I only see standard, vivid, and custom ?

I'm obviously missing something, I don't see a cinema 1 in picture mode, I only see standard, vivid, and custom ?

It's unintuitively under a different menu option than picture - 2 below IIRC, can't remember what it's called. Once you change it there you get different options under picture.

Scene select: Cinema opens up Cinema 1 and 2 in picture options

Can anyone tell me if this has separate colour/processing settings for each hdmi input, or if its a one size fits all deal ?

It's separate as long as you select current

Hi folks. I have just bought this tv and Im trying to calibrate the picture. I'm struggling to understand what true cinema and film mode actually do. Any advice would be much appreciated as most people seem to have these on. Also do you have them on when watching sport and normal tv programmes or should they just be enabled when watching film?

Cheers.

My picture has been changing and not looking great until i noticed scene select.
Like a fool i applied all the setting to my TV yet missed off scene select but have now changed it and WOW. perfect. All using your setting Mark. top stuff thank you
love this tv

Try these settings people...the tv is a pig to get right..spent months on this tv!

Scene select cinema
Picture mode cinema 1 or 2

Backlight 9
Contrast 93
Brightness 51
Colour 49
Hue 0
Colour temp warm 1
Sharpness 52
Nr off
MPEG nr off
Dot nr off
Reality creation resolution manual resolution 17 noise 6
Smooth graduation low
Motion flow true cinema
Film mode auto

Advanced settings

Black corrector off
Adv contrast enhancer off
Gamma -1
Auto light limiter off
Clear white off
Live colour low
White balance r gain 0 g gain 0 b gain 0 r bias 0 g bias 0 b bias 0 (these are specific to your set and may vary but 0 is a good baseline)
Detail enhancer off
Edge enhancer off

SOUND
Sound mode standard
Sound effect min
Voice zoom 0
Auto surround on
Sound booster off
Equalizer 100hz +10 200hz +5
Advanced audio volume- normal

Hi folks. I have just bought this tv and Im trying to calibrate the picture. I'm struggling to understand what true cinema and film mode actually do. Any advice would be much appreciated as most people seem to have these on. Also do you have them on when watching sport and normal tv programmes or should they just be enabled when watching film?

Cheers.
Check out my settings dude...class!

In all reviews and posts I have read about picture settings, I have never seen mentioned in Eco settings the Scene Select Sync setting (default on), which affects the backlight, and completely kills the picture and makes it look incredibly flat and dull.

I always turn this off. In fact I turn off all the Eco settings. I did not buy the TV to save electricity or save the planet but because of positive reviews about picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom