Sony W829 (KDL-50W829) Reviewer's Recommended Best Settings

oh one last thing is there anything i should be doing to increase the tv's ability to handle motion flow out of the box? i read great things about this tv in regards to this problem before buying it but i think i still see it a decent amount of it from time to time, not an expert on this sort of thing though so might be over reacting.

Thanks again.

Hi guys,

I have had this TV for about 6 months (I have a silver 42inch W8).

Yesterday I had Sky Multiroom installed. I have collaborated my tv some time back with the recommended settings from the 50inch version review. It worked fine.

Now however, I have Sky HD and it doesn't look great. Especially Sky Sports. I was watching the cricket last night. The red and blue of the players kits were far too bright (Red more so) and the grass looked too green!

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Some recommended settings for the 42inch would be great. In the day time the room has a lot of light but mostly this tv will be used at night in darkness.

I plan on watching a lot of football on it and so far I can't say I'm looking forward to it.....oh its Sky HD by the way.

thanks all!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
My content looks cracking to, i also think that Netlix through the tv app looks miles better than when i go through the ps3 Netflix app? is this possible even though they are both being played on the same tv?

Also does anybody still try "peoples settings"? i will post mine but not sure if anybody would care for them as they seem quite a bit different from the norm as i tweaked mine as i went and started with the cool template instead of warm/warm2.

Thanks

I'd be interested in your settings. there's something not quite right about the colour on my set using warm etc.

Any further settings anyone has for this set as I know people are always tweaking throughout ownership.

Last edited:
Hi all, I love this TV besides from its 3D performance and am wondering if it's an issue with my picture settings.

Most 3D movies see their dark colors (greens and browns in particular) crushed and appear flattened compared to the 3D of the rest of the rest of the image. Instantly noticeable and completely takes you out of the movie. Some movies like Dredd, Avatar, Mad Max look fine for the most part because of their color palette. But Gravity with its not-quite-black blacks and images of Earth landmasses and Planet of the Apes that mostly takes place in a underlit forest are basically unwatchable. My settings are game settings with all of the artifice turned off, but I tried switching to standard settings and the problem persists.

So I was wondering if this is a common issue and there's a well known settings fix for it because I've watched 3D movies and my friend's Samsung and they look fine. The W829 doesn't suffer from much crosstalk as far as I can see and that seems to be the biggest issue mentioned in reviews. This color crushing/flattening issue is so glaring that I just can't believe it's part of the tv's normal performance.

Any help from anyone who has experience with this would be appreciated. Cheers.

If you read the review on this TV by Mark Hodgkinson you will see that the 3D performance is this TV's weak point. I bought this TV based on the reviews for its excellent 2D picture quality. I have tried a few 3D films but was not impressed so gave it up as a bad job and now stick solely to 2D.

As a point of interest to get round the over dark picture I found the most pleasing settings for 3D were to turn the glasses brightness to high HOME/settings/Display/3D Settings and use the Sports setting in Scene Select.

Sony KDL-50W829B (W8) LED TV Review

If there is a significant area where the W829 is inferior to the W955, then it is this one. How much significance you place on 3D performance, in the scheme of things, is of course a matter of personal taste but this isn’t the best 3D TV we’ve tested. We saw lots of crosstalk with pop-out (negative parallax) moments during our second run through the Gravity Blu-ray and even the depth-heavy (positive parallax) Dredd 3D suffered distracting ghosting with high contrast scenes in the backgrounds. To compound the comparatively miserable 3D experience, the active shutter glasses supplied are uncomfortable to wear with snout-pinching nose rests and lenses that would taint colours with even slight head movements. If you’re after a decent 3D TV, move along, but we know most people really don’t care about it anymore – if they ever did!

Last edited:
As a point of interest to get round the over dark picture I found the most pleasing settings for 3D were to turn the glasses brightness to high HOME/settings/Display/3D Settings and use the Sports setting in Scene Select.
Thanks, I'll try this.

Glad to find this thread & a new owner of this TV. Must have got one of the last ones in circulation!

Anyone else find the viewing angles dissapointing? I chose this over the 55W805c as I didn't care for Android but wonder whether that may have beeen better!

At the end of the day I chose the 829b for lowest input lag. Coming from a Samsung PS516500E plasma where angles were perfect from everywhere..

Does anyone know of a way to boost the volume for this tvs optical audio out?

Also does anyone know of a good way to boost detail in the blacks?

Cheers!

Posted these in the main forum, but they got lost under other posts pretty quick.

After a long time of tinkering I ended up with these.
Everyone has different preference, but these could be perfect for some or a good starting point at least.
Tried to include the important details the best I could. You should end up with the same results if you follow them as I have laid out :)

''First thing to do. Turn Light Sensor and Shop Mode off!''

Built-in Satellite/USB playback/Internet video (These use the same preset)

Scene: Cinema
Taget Inputs: Common
Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Backlight: 6
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 52
Colour: 50
Hue: 0
Colour Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Manual
-Resolution: 10
-Noise Filtering: Min
Smooth Gradation: Off
Film Mode Auto
Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: -2
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Colour: Off
White Balance:
R Gain: -3
G Gain: -5
B Gain: -0
R Bias: -0
G Bias: -0
B Bias: -0
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturaliser: Off
LED Motion Mode: Off
----------------------------------------------------
Playstation 4

(If scene select is set-up correctly, the console automatically switches between Cinema & Game modes once it recognises the material that it is playing, Eliminating the need to change manually every time)
IMPORTANT: For the following settings to look correct, Make sure the Dynamic Range setting of the TV AND THE PS4 is set to Full RGB. No good just setting it on the console. The TV needs to be set also. PS4 Video Output Setting should be.... Range=Full, YPb/Cb Pr/Cr Range=Full, Deep Colour=Auto.

PS4 Game Inserted/Operating System...

Scene: Auto (24p Sync)
Taget Inputs: Current
Picture Mode: Game-Standard
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 52
Colour: 58
Colour Temp: Warm 1
Sharpness: 60
Noise Reduction: N/A - Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: N/A - Off
Dot Noise Reduction: N/A - Off
Reality Creation: Off
-Resolution: N/A - Off
-Noise Filtering: N/A - Off
Film Mode N/A - Off
Advanced Settings
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Low (Low is more subtle, Medium is a bit too strong and artificial)
Live Colour: Low
White Balance: ALL ON DEFAULT 0
PS4 Blu-ray Inserted...

Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Brightness: 36
Film Mode Auto
Advanced Settings
White Balance:
PS4 DVD Inserted...

Picture Mode: Standard
Brightness: 36
Film Mode Auto
Advanced Settings
White Balance:
Sound Setting: Same For Everything

Target Inputs: Common
Sound Mode: Standard
Sound Effect: N/A
Auto Surround: On
Sound Booster: Off
Equalizer:
+5 +4 0 0 0 0 0
Voice Zoom: 0
Live Football Mode: Off
Advance Auto Volume: Off
Volume Offset: N/A
Balance: Centre

-----That's It-----

Hey Brad,

How do you get the Auto 24 mode to register game mode...? When I use it on the PS4, I only get CUSTOM - VIVID - STANDARD appear as the screen mode....

In the thread you referenced Brad says it is the console that switches not the TV.

If scene select is set-up correctly, the console automatically switches between Cinema & Game modes once it recognises the material that it is playing, Eliminating the need to change manually every time

In the thread you referenced Brad says it is the console that switches not the TV.

If scene select is set-up correctly, the console automatically switches between Cinema & Game modes once it recognises the material that it is playing, Eliminating the need to change manually every time

Yeah, saw that - but surely this is reference to the console telling the TV which mode to switch to, as the console cannot change modes itself, right?

Basically, what I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way to have the scene select as Auto (24hz) and then when a game is played on PS4 or XBone, the TV goes into GAME mode automatically.

It seems my Sony KDL-50W828B has a problem:

I cannot choose Cinema or Game mode. I only have Vivid, Custom and Normal avialable.......

It seems my Sony KDL-50W828B has a problem:

I cannot choose Cinema or Game mode. I only have Vivid, Custom and Normal avialable.......

Sounds like you have it set on Auto scene mode.

Thxz, that did the trick.

How comes everyone is recommending contrast somewhere between 80 and 85? I have set it to MAX and my whites don t seem to clip. (230-234 are flashing with the AVS709 contrast pattern)

Still loving my 50W829, have got a question tho , I have it set on the piccy setting from earlier in this thread , but have just bought myself a portable hard drive (my passport ultra) to put all my films on and have started watching them thru that via USB instead of casting via Plex/Chromecast...

The question is the picture using the hard drive is different from my settings , good picture but different , like it was set on normal or dynamic definitely not cinema which I have set......

Any way to adjust this or is it not possible ?

Its ok found it , press options whilst watching the movie :)

Last edited:
Anyone using Impulse motion mode for gaming...? If so, what settings do you use?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom