Sony W6 Owners Thread

is it possible that the motionflow settings are locked to the picture setting you choose eg cinema, sports, game, etc each picture setting could have motionflow at a different setting eg smooth, clear, off, etc.somebody would have to test this with a game to see if the amout of motion blur changes on a different picture setting.

@ben

appreciate the trouble you went to to give us the info..
indeed no lag and no blur make this a very good budget TV...

one thing that i want to know since you were seeing the W6/8 & 9 at the same time:

How does the W6 compare to the 8 and 9 in terms of motion and overall image to the others ???

W6 and W7 are comparable to each other, to my eyes they differed only in the design and the W7 having one touch mirroring tech.
Both had a little bit of motion blur and as I stress again, they're really only noticeable if you're being anal about it.
Fortunately, they didn't have any ringing on the images on fast-motion sequences which IMO is good since smooth motion technologies tend to not have any anti-ringing filters intergrated properly.

2D image quality wise, the W6, W7 and W8 all looked pretty similar. The W8 had the benefit of slightly deeper contrast and doesn't crush shadows as much as the W6/W7. But the W8 having a glossier screen kinda put me off.
Motion blur in comparison is similar on the same "Smooth" settings.

The W8 does have the benefit to turn off motionflow entirely, so that's an advantage there for certain games (fighting games mostly).
I didn't test 3D though, so couldn't comment on this one.

As for the W9, it has the best color accuracy out of all the series. I personally adjusted the color settings to my own standard so that it wasn't biased to any sort of settings that was set by the employees.

I know some people were complaining about pilaring on the W9, but I honestly do not notice it unless in a full white screen. Even then, it is quite subtle. Not an issue IMO.
On the "Smooth" motionflow setting, the W9 has very slightly lesser motion blur than the W6, W7 and W8. I'm saying so slight that this may be a placebo effect.
Like the W8 though, having the ability to set motionflow settings is an advantage.

The take away for the W9 is that it looks a lot livelier than the lower models. It's a great looking TV no doubt.

is it possible that the motionflow settings are locked to the picture setting you choose eg cinema, sports, game, etc each picture setting could have motionflow at a different setting eg smooth, clear, off, etc.somebody would have to test this with a game to see if the amout of motion blur changes on a different picture setting.

Perhaps, because I was asking them if theres any region difference (W653 UK, W654 US, W675 SEA) between the W6 models or not. They weren't sure either and could just say "perhaps some difference in the settings, but other than that, it's the same".

But from what I've seen on the W674, other than in Game-Original mode, all other "scenes" setting on the W6 has "Smooth" motionflow enabled as a default.

thanx for the very detailed view man !!!!

there is a thing owever: you claim that W8 has better contrast than W6/7, that us just impossible as it is an ips panel that suck in contrast and is the worst possible :) others have VA panels...
anyway seems to be a very good tv for motion and that is exactly what i am looking for !!! and it's one of the only 2D tv's....

thanx for the very detailed view man !!!!

there is a thing owever: you claim that W8 has better contrast than W6/7, that us just impossible as it is an ips panel that suck in contrast and is the worst possible :) others have VA panels...
anyway seems to be a very good tv for motion and that is exactly what i am looking for !!! and it's one of the only 2D tv's....

Ah sorry, I forgot to actually mention that the W8 had dynamic contrast enabled (one of the employees was already giving me a sneer look at this point). My bad for not switching it off to compare.

So don't take that "deeper contrast" opinion seriously.

Ok so I've just bought this TV and am unpacking it now.

How do I connect my old Xbox 360 to it? The port that I connected it to with my old TV isn't on this one!!

It's a small 15 pin cable a VGA HD AV cable help please.

Last edited:

How do I connect my old Xbox 360 to it? The port that I connected it to with my old TV isn't on this one!!

It's a small 15 pin cable a bit like you would use on a pc, help please.

You can't as the Sony W6 doesn't come with any analog inputs. Need to use a HDMI cable.

It's a small 15 pin cable a VGA HD AV cable help please.

If you do not have an HDMI out on your Xbox then you have to use the "COMPONENT IN" see here Bottom

hope this helps

You can't as the Sony W6 doesn't come with any analog inputs. Need to use a HDMI cable.

If you do not have an HDMI out on your Xbox then you have to use the "COMPONENT IN" see here Bottom

hope this helps

Ok thanks guys, I can't for the life of me find the component cable that came with the XBox.

Do I need a special type of HDMI cable or will any do? Bear in mind this is an old white 360.

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys, I can't for the life of me find the component cable that came with the XBox.

Do I need a special type of HDMI cable or will any do? Bare in mind this is an old white 360.
As long as you have HDMI out on the Xbox, some of the older ones didn't have it. any HDMI cable should do.

As long as you have HDMI out on the Xbox, some of the older ones didn't have it. any HDMI cable should do.

No it doesn't look like I have, like I say this is the original Xbox 360, looks like I'm going to have the buy a component cable to give me a slightly lower resolution than what I was currently getting with the VGA. Oh well, I'll have another search for it before I do that.

Thanks for the help guys.

No it doesn't look like I have, like I say this is the original Xbox 360, looks like I'm going to have the buy a component cable to give me a slightly lower resolution than what I was currently getting with the VGA. Oh well, I'll have another search for it before I do that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Component will give you the same resolution as VGA, and same as HDMI, all will do 1080p.

I had a launch 360 so ive bought a new 360 S to hook up via HDMI to my Amp, gave my old 360 to my girlfriends dad so hes happy.

Glad to see its a good TV, again without reading reviews you do wonder if its worth the money. Having just noticed that VEGACORTEZ did a post about the lag and seeing his findings say its pretty much the best gaming screen out there is a bonus. I mainly bought this TV for gaming, especially for PS4 and Xbox One. Had an old 32" which was not 1080p so thought if im going to benefit from the new consoles I need to get a better TV. Plus the 42" is pretty much the same physical size as my old 32".

Had Tech Support come back to me , and they were very helpful for once!!!

According to Sony UK the W6 range is designed to be as auto as possible so you get the best picture at all times for video processing which includes motionflow, rather that give you options to play with. If you want options then W8 / W9 set

The W6 has motionflow enabled by default so is always on, the amount of its effect is down to the scene you select along with any other video enhancement for that scene. So it will run a max of 200hz along with other processing , getting the % of that effect per scene for motionflow they couldn't tell me. The idea of the motionflow filters ( smooth / Clear ect.. ) has gone from this range as Sony are moving towards a more automatic viewing experience so letting the technology make up the best image.

Even if most of this is correct , I'm happy with that. Ive been playing with the set again and I cant fault the images for motion which kind of makes me believe the above. The LED Motion option is not motionflow, its a soap opera effect killer for analogue apparently , nothing to do with digital signals

I have suggested that they update the IManual or sate this known information about the motionflow as its only internal at Sony

:)

Last edited:
Can any owner have a look for me and see if the 'Sony' badge on the front is/looks possibly removable. I'd probably get used to it, but got a feeling it might be a bit distracting for me (yeah I know, 'irrational annoyances' :)), but I also think the tv would look nicer with just an uninterrupted bezel.

Sounds like a decent set though (reading through this thread), so will have to go have a look at one some time soon.

thanks
joe

Last edited:
Can any owner have a look for me and see if the 'Sony' badge on the front is/looks possibly removable. I'd probably get used to it, but got a feeling it might be a bit distracting for me (yeah I know, 'irrational annoyances' :)), but I also think the tv would look nicer with just an uninterrupted bezel.

Sounds like a decent set though (reading through this thread), so will have to go have a look at one some time soon.

thanks
joe

It's an embossed plastic/metal effect plate that curves around the bottom area. It would probably look crap underneath if you removed it. Just paint it black if you really don't like it. You can also switch the led light off if you want.

It's an embossed plastic/metal effect plate that curves around the bottom area. It would probably look crap underneath if you removed it. Just paint it black if you really don't like it. You can also switch the led light off if you want.

Yeah, just wondered if it might be screwed on or something like that.

thanks
joe

I don't even notice the "Sony badge" once the TV is up and running

Hi everyone. I'm from Brazil and just bought my W6-series sony lcd.

I couldn't find much info concerning my model, specifically.

Yours seem to be the KDL-42W653A, but mine is a KDL-42W655A. What's up with the last digit??

Thanks in advance!

can anyone with a pc or laptop download a program called PixPerAn and run it on the tv using the streaky picture test at tempo 16 or the readability test at tempo16-20.both of these are easy to read on a crt at those tempo on a normal lcd they will be blurred.if you use different picture settings eg cinema game,etc but with lcd motion off when testing and the moving image is clearer or more blurred on different settings then motionflow must change to the picture setting.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I'm from Brazil and just bought my W6-series sony lcd.

I couldn't find much info concerning my model, specifically.

Yours seem to be the KDL-42W653A, but mine is a KDL-42W655A. What's up with the last digit??

Thanks in advance!

it is logical, they are the same model !! in Middle east it is 670 and in singapour it is 674 etc....every country has a little difference (tuner, wifi etc...) TV is the SAME !!!!!!!!!!

I knew there was something up with the motionflow, I do not like the smoothness.

I noticed though in the "Auto" scene it says in the caption about using 24p for movies. So I used VEGACORTEZ calibration settings but leaving it on Cinema instead of Game Standard that he uses. It seems to have lessen the effect to me.

The other things I am unhappy with are, I have 2 dead pixels with my 3 day old unit, Sony though is coming over to replace it for free :) the other thing is, there is a bug with Sony Media Remote. My TV being connected by ethernet apparently cannot be detected by the APP, thankfully though the throw functionally of my Xperia Z works flawlessly with the set.

Positive though? I love love the design and image quality! Btw using a PS3 as my primary source of content :)

Yeah, just wondered if it might be screwed on or something like that.

It's not, because the LED light is part of the silver badge itself. So if you want it off, you'd have to snap it off.

Honestly, I first thought it would be a nuisance but I really didn't notice it anymore after looking at the TV.

@oxman
All the different scene modes look the same on the streaky pictures scrolling car test, they are blurry. The only time it becomes totally clear and readable is when using the led motion setting. When using that setting it looks a slightly better version in say game and sports than in cinema.

@oxman
All the different scene modes look the same on the streaky pictures scrolling car test, they are blurry. The only time it becomes totally clear and readable is when using the led motion setting. When using that setting it looks a slightly better version in say game and sports than in cinema.

have you tried with a Blu Ray movie? when watching Transformers3, the colors look fine but the motionflow is really noticeable. When I use the Game scene, the TV detects that the signal is 24p

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom