Sony W6 Owners Thread

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
i am also looking for opinions...sor far i have got 2 (read the W8/9 thread !!!!!) and both are disappointing.... don't give credit to amazon reviewers as 90% of them are sub average JOE.....

Anyway it would be nice to rename the thread "official W6 owners"...as this will attract people....

The W8 pro review on cnet is "bad" so the W6 is gonna be worse.....or not

Last edited:
Well..... I bought it and it arrived this morning. Early impressions are excellent. The only problem I have found concerns the:-

'
An illuminating experience - Floating over a circular stand, the TV has an Intelligent Core that changes colour according to the content source
'

Not 100% sure how this is supposed to work, sure, the core changes when the remote is pressed although it does not appear to be adjusting according to content. If there is a way of enabling this I would love to know, its certainly not clear from the very limited instructions.

If there is anything you would like to know, I am happy to try things out.

ps, changed the thread title as you suggested.

Hi Naaktgeboren.

Can you confirm that TV has an IPS panel? (from viewing angles and black performance)

Thanks.

@naak yes we would like to hear if the panel is IPS (if you can determine that....)

1- some folks said this TV has motion issues and that it is NOT smooth when camera moves (sports, pans etc...) please test THIS !!!!!

2- is HD clear enough ?

3- are colors vivid ? or muted like the W8 ???

4- how does SD look ?

5- viewing angle ?

6- blacks....in a black ROOM....

Regarding your problem...never heard of such a thing :) must be an option to turn off....

any new input ???
A french owner told me that he got the 32" and is happy...image is smooth and colors are ok...but like many people he is not a TV freak...so his words are useless to people like me :(

did you test with video game ? any idea for inputlag ?

there are only 2 hdmi too it is not enough

I will give a good update later this afternoon with my thoughts, sorry for the lack of updates, real busy with work this week.

great ! But after reading a few more W8 reviews....i really think the W6 must be as bad if not worse....

auo panel is good for play ? same ,lower higher inputlag as w805/2 ?

WoW! Just got this 42in TV yesterday moving up from a HD Ready Plasma. Started looking at the LG LA620, then he Panasonic E6 then the Sony came up at a superb price I decided to go with it. main Reason we decided we didn't need 3D and having a better picture was more important. The Panasonic E6 was very close but liked the look of the Sony and I also could connect the Satellite directly into the TV. and what a TV it is! :D I will give more feedback next time as I work the TV out a bit more but I just want to say that my son gave the Xbox a good run on this TV playing battlefield 3 and there was no notable lag at all! He was very pleased :D I haven't played around with setting yet. But the TV in Scene selection has and auto mode so if you are playing games it will select game mode, movie mode for movies etc so no need to do it yourself hope this helps

please do answer my questions above...too tired to copy/paste them all over again !!!

@evilID : has can we know ??? there are no reviews of this TV !!!

Last edited:
I've only had the TV for less than 24 hours so can't really answer all your questions. But will try

I have watched some of the French Open tennis and fast moving action scenes from a movie (in HD) and have not had any motion issues

HD is outstanding! (I'm coming from and Plasma HD Ready TV so I see a big improvement)

Colors are vivid wonderfully clear but I think this is a personal choice (how you set your TV up)

SD looks SD if you know what I mean some channels are better than others but I don't watch many SD channels here in the Netherlands

Viewing angle Is fine for us the plasma was better for this but it doesn't effect us.

Black is really really good haven't tried in a a black room but so far very very impressed

I will give some more feedback when I have a chance to spend more time with the TV. But I am a very very happy chappy!! :smashin:

thank god you posted some comments !! :smashin:

Was afraid of motion...but you says it seems fine ? did you try changing the motionflow ? what are the differences (some settings are smoother but darken the picture etc...)

Is there any judder on movies ? any artefacts sometimes ???
and finally is the picture very sharp or is it rather "film type" (like many LCD's are doing lately...to be like plasma ?); i am currently on a panasonic LCD and boy is the image sharp...as are the Phillips and samsung led's

Glad you like it....but please do test blacks in a dark movie and report !!:devil::devil::devil:

thank god you posted some comments !! :smashin:

Was afraid of motion...but you says it seems fine ? did you try changing the motionflow ? what are the differences (some settings are smoother but darken the picture etc...)

Is there any judder on movies ? any artefacts sometimes ???
and finally is the picture very sharp or is it rather "film type" (like many LCD's are doing lately...to be like plasma ?); i am currently on a panasonic LCD and boy is the image sharp...as are the Phillips and samsung led's

Glad you like it....but please do test blacks in a dark movie and report !!:devil::devil::devil:

Well had the TV for a couple of days now and I'm liking it more and more :D I am in complete awe of the picture quality,
I haven't played around with th motionflow settings as of yet haven't needed to watche a bit of Spiderman and it looked fantastic!! No judder or artifacts

When it comes to HD content, the images are sharp, crisp & very smooth, it really brings life to what your watching. The Blacks are Inky Black
Watching Dark scenes in a dark room is just fine The blacksare still nice and deep

The TV also has many different scene modes to choose from such as 'Cinema', 'Cinema 24p', 'Music', 'Sports', 'Gaming' and more, this will adjust the picture & audio settings that will suit what your watching better.
Sony have incorporated X-Reality PRO from 2012's higher end models, and I really think it makes this TV shine at this price point.
The only thing that its not so hot on is the viewing angle but its not a deal breaker. We can all sit around the telly with enjoyment :thumbsup:
I just can't belive I have got such a fantastic TV for such little money :D :D
Hope this helps

hi! Can you tell if you have the motionflow setting? I have the 42w654 bought here in the Philippines and I can't find the motionflow in the settings. I also read in a chinese forum (with the use of google translate) that they don't have motionflow setting the same goes in an Italian forum... but in Sony website it says that it has motionflow xr 200.

all the website state that this TV does have motion FLOW !!!!! it is incredible you can't find it on your tv !!!!!!!!!! or is it that the model in your country does not have it...huuu i don't think so !!!

@DOG thanx for the comments....but engrstian has a point..maybe your motionflow is not even on as by default it might be off

Last edited:
i don't know... that's why im trying to have some insights if other w6 series owners have motionflow settings...
And as I said browsing the italian AV Magazine forum a user said that there is no motionflow setting...

Does motionflow only works when connected to HDMI? I saw this picture of w905 italian review and there is motionflow when connected to HDMI...I will try to connect my laptop later via HDMI to see if there will be motionflow..

i cant post the picture... it say that it may be a spam... -.-"

hi! Can you tell if you have the motionflow setting? I have the 42w654 bought here in the Philippines and I can't find the motionflow in the settings. I also read in a chinese forum (with the use of google translate) that they don't have motionflow setting the same goes in an Italian forum... but in Sony website it says that it has motionflow xr 200.

I can't find "motionflow" as such but I do find under options/picture/advanced settings "displayed speed preferences and LED Motion mode. Maybe this is it.
As I said I'm having no problems with motion in gaming or fast moving scenes.

i don't know... that's why im trying to have some insights if other w6 series owners have motionflow settings...
And as I said browsing the italian AV Magazine forum a user said that there is no motionflow setting...

Does motionflow only works when connected to HDMI? I saw this picture of w905 italian review and there is motionflow when connected to HDMI...I will try to connect my laptop later via HDMI to see if there will be motionflow..

i cant post the picture... it say that it may be a spam... -.-"

I have mine connected to AV Receiver with HDMI and connected with that are a Xbox, Cable Box and Satellite box all with HDMI and I can't see "motionflow" aslo

On aside note you can only use "ARC" with HDMI if you have a Sony Receiver you have to use optical cable for it to work with other Branded Receivers.

Thanks for the reply... so can we confirm that there is no motionflow setting :eek: is this a scam :p :nono: should we contact Sony for some clarification?
Maybe it's just turned on by default and it works when needed..
I think LED Motion is not motionflow.. LED Motion darkens the screen when turned on...
anyways some forum users says that motionflow is better turned off so there won't be soap opera effect... I'm just curious about how it works...
And yes there is no problem while viewing fast scenes...

edit here is the image about motionflow
dday.it/userFiles/fudge/articles/9404/menu1.jpg
just copy and paste the link

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply... so can we confirm that there is no motionflow setting :eek: is this a scam :p :nono: should we contact Sony for some clarification?
Maybe it's just turned on by default and it works when needed..
I think LED Motion is not motionflow.. LED Motion darkens the screen when turned on...
anyways some forum users says that motionflow is better turned off so there won't be soap opera effect... I'm just curious about how it works...
And yes there is no problem while viewing fast scenes...

edit here is the image about motionflow
dday.it/userFiles/fudge/articles/9404/menu1.jpg
just copy and paste the link

I think its there, but by default. I have no problems and NO "soap opera effect" So I'm not bothered
I haven't played around much with the settings, Scene set to Auto and picture on standard (comes default vivid) I'm lucky here our cable provider offers us a box that pushes out 1080p :D so all my favorite channels just look fantastic!! ;)

people please don't say nonsense....the soap opera effect is there because the motionflow is set too high....if one uses it on LOW there will never be that effect !!!!
since 2009 on every SONY TV there has been settings for motionflow like this:

MotionFlow menu - Sony XBR-HX909 series (photos) - CNET Reviews

IS this the first TV ever from sony to incorporate a native 100hz motionflow in the electronics like PANASONIC used to do very very well in 2008/2009 ?????

Someone please tell us !! i am NOT buying this TV if there is no 100hz motionflow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom