Sony W6 Owners Thread

just bought this TV, and managed to wall mount it using my current swing arm bracket. all i needed was to attach some wood to the bottom of my bracket to make the TV flat and up right.

Disappointed with the amount of HDMI ports, but will save up for a AVR. (any recommendations?)

Will be trying this out tonight on the Xbox and PS3.

but for now im happy with it.

Anyone have any settings they would recommend for Sky HD?

Did you notice any input lag with your gaming?

Are there any settings you can recommend for it?

I've ordered one of these should have it in a few days, hopefully with a little mutual help from you guys it can be the ultimate gaming tv. ;)

I use a Onkyo TX-NR515 Receiver and have set that to display HDMI as "through" so no upscaling or anything like that so wonder if that increases lag?

Even if it does im impressed with the response, would say its pretty much instant from what I can see.

Also I used your settings well the majority of them, I felt that neutral in the colour tone is better for me than warm 2, and also ive got the backlight at 5. Ive selected the scene as GAME as I do alot of gaming, also altered the Auto mode on standard too, to the same settings.

After reading about "Auto" scene selecting the correct picture settings for the item would it for example, see its a game image coming through and select the scene as "Game"? As im going though just the main HDMI via a receiver would it know? Or does it just keep the scene as "Auto" and then kinda piggy back the settings from another scene but still keep the scene as "Auto"?

Without being able to measure the lag with a device like the leo bodnar to see there is no way to know if it adds any. My older onkyo amp had a games mode and you could only set resolution to through and that adds 21ms on top of what any tv has already. As you say your amp has an hdmi through and is newer so maybe it is ok. If you wanted i suppose you could use an optical sound cable from your console to the amp and plug the hdmi for picture direct to the tv. Only you know how your games feel so it's up to you.

Without being able to measure the lag with a device like the leo bodnar to see there is no way to know if it adds any. My older onkyo amp had a games mode and you could only set resolution to through and that adds 21ms on top of what any tv has already. As you say your amp has an hdmi through and is newer so maybe it is ok. If you wanted i suppose you could use an optical sound cable from your console to the amp and plug the hdmi for picture direct to the tv. Only you know how your games feel so it's up to you.

Basically ive switched off any processing to do with video on the amp just set everything as through, so in that sense it should be acting like a HDMI splitter I hope. With 2 HDMI on the TV ive got Xbox 360, PS3 and Sky HD, so thats why i've bought the new amp to fit all those into it, plus ive got PS4 and Xbox One on preorder so will need 5 HDMI in total.

Ive been playing my PS3, got the God Of War Collection 2 which ive just finished and that seemed responsive, no lag from what I could see. Going to be playing God Or War Ascension, which I played on the old TV so I can see what sort of response I get from that.

Did you notice any input lag with your gaming?

Are there any settings you can recommend for it?

I've ordered one of these should have it in a few days, hopefully with a little mutual help from you guys it can be the ultimate gaming tv. ;)

I only got round to playing Last of us on the PS3 last night and i didnt notice any lag at all, and i used VEGACORTEZ's settings.

Im sure there will be more settings surfacing over the next few weeks.

But the gaming side was very smooth and like i said, couldnt detect any lag.

just bought this TV, and managed to wall mount it using my current swing arm bracket. all i needed was to attach some wood to the bottom of my bracket to make the TV flat and up right.

Disappointed with the amount of HDMI ports, but will save up for a AVR. (any recommendations?)

Will be trying this out tonight on the Xbox and PS3.

but for now im happy with it.

Anyone have any settings they would recommend for Sky HD?

HI MIKE
Can you tell me how you managed to wall mount it?
i have recently bought this tv and am looking to wall mount it on a swivel/swing wall mount, i havent bought the wall mount yet, the wall mount im looking at is this one by DURONIC Duronic TVB109M Universal 32"-60" LCD/Plasma: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics, which wall mount do you have? anu suggestion from you as to which wall mount i should be looking to get?
many thanks in advance
sam

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hey Mike, good job getting it sorted! Any chance of some photos of your TV and the rig in place?

we all know this TV has no lag !! why keeping repeating it....
what is more interesting is all you FOLKS having ps3 and xbox etc how does motions look with last of US or GOW ??

any black smearing ? blur ?? some have said it is very bad...other say only on football....what on earth is the status on blur on this TV ???????????? this is my main concern as the TV i have has 0% blur !

what is more interesting is all you FOLKS having ps3 and xbox etc how does motions look with last of US or GOW ??

any black smearing ? blur ?? some have said it is very bad...other say only on football....what on earth is the status on blur on this TV ???????????? this is my main concern as the TV i have has 0% blur !

These are excellent questions! Also does this TV suffer from excessive clouding? Coming from plasma this is a concern. Thanks to the owners for keeping the thread going!

For 360. GoW (as in Gears of War Judgment) looks great no discernible lag to my eyes. Similarly for COD: BO2. My only issue was, as I posted, with the dashboard text. but my tweaks have fixed that for me.

On an all black screen the black seems pretty uniform too no edge bleed

Last edited:
For those asking about mounting to a bracket other than SONY'S universal one here's my possible solution(s).

IDEA 1 : using a swivel tilt bracket one would normally buy using the drop hangers as normal but spaced out at
the top with threaded rod and use double sided foam tape running down the drop arm. I see no issue
as the Sony bracket will use the same fixing points. The drop arms are taking the weight of the TV as
normal.

IDEA 2 : using a swivel tilt bracket as before just find one that the feet of the SONY bracket fit into the backplate
of, the large metal plate that the drop bars clamp onto. The only down side with this idea is that it will
add more to the gap between the set and the wall.

Think i'm going to try IDEA 1 as in theory it will work. I know it will work!

Ive been playing God Of War Ascension from start to just over 50% through today, must say motion has been brilliant.

Ive used the settings by VEGACORTEZ though ive made adjustments of my own for my own personal taste. Ive decided on "Auto" for the scene, as I tested that and "Game" and cant find any noticeable increase in lag on "Auto". Ive also turned on the reality creation mode, as I must of selected that by accident at one point and as I was testing between "Auto" and "Game" for lag, I noticed "Auto" seemed sharper. It was sharper because of reality creation mode which ive set to auto. For me it gives God Of War much better focus, without it on textures look washed out and blurry, but with it on it looks much sharper and crisper.

Also been messing about with the advanced setting for the black correction, does look good with it on, but having it on all day, but I think I might turn it off, after noticing that you do loose some of the detail in the black areas. Black correction does look good when you switch it on, as it makes the black alot darker, but I think in some situations you do loose a bit of defination.

Also I have my backlight to 5.

Ive not seen any blurring, not on fast moving objects at all. Forgive me but what is black blurring?

Been looking for a led tv with no blur and low input lag. Does the LED motion option completely eliminate motion blur on games and films.How bad are the flicker and brightness problems with it on.

LED motion as said above has always been USELESS on sony tv's....dunno why they even bother putting that option...aside from marketing reasons...
vega seems the only one on earth that used the feature...

led motion is backlight blinking, so with led motion on the picture is unwatchable because of the brightness and flicker.With led motion off does the picture still have motion blur? also does the set have Motionflow XR 200Hz

As mentioned above I tried it on the football. I found it too dim and I could see the faint flickering. Out the box gaming setting was pretty decent for the football even with an sd feed. You get the usual grass blend issue zoomed out but the ball motion is fine. Close in it sharpens up very quickly.

Hey, I have to say the chat on this page has been really helpful and I thank the owners for taking the time to share! I was hoping some of you might be willing to share photos if your TVs, particularly showing the backlight on full on a black display to show clouding! The only W6 I've seen is under a ridiculous amount of light and can't get an idea of its performance! Thanks again guys!

can anyone confirm With led motion off does the picture still have motion blur?also how does the motionflow xr 200hz work is it just another name for the led motion, or is it a true 200hz tv. I like the look of the tv but don't wan't to spend £600 to find the set has motion blur on games and films like any normal much cheaper led lcd.

can anyone confirm With led motion off does the picture still have motion blur?also how does the motionflow xr 200hz work is it just another name for the led motion, or is it a true 200hz tv. I like the look of the tv but don't wan't to spend £600 to find the set has motion blur on games and films like any normal much cheaper led lcd.

We already said many time this is not a 200hz native SET !!!!!!! And there are NO motionflow settings unlike more expensive models !!!
Sony is only marketing this TV as 200hz as the LED motion even useless enables 200hz....
it should be a 100hz native set but no pro reviews out yet so just wait...

ive had this set for a few days , i can say its not a bad set but having also got some HX sets in the house and having full control over motion is very frustrating especially as its one of the key features of this set.

I was going to pic up a pan 396b 100hz set but reviews do say it suffers from some blurring ... but at least the option appears in the menu!!

one thing i cannot advise enough is DONT BOTHER with Sony support , they are clueless and have no idea what so ever.

I cant say if the set is now native 200hz but the LED motion option is defiantly worthless and Sony cannot tell me what it is for let alone the effects it has on the screen which is ..makes the viewing useless.

We need a Pro Review , and fast

:)

you say it's not that bad and you say having no control over motion is FRUSTRATING ????

which one is it ? is motion good or bad at the end of the day ?

Watching the tennis yesterday compared to my Hx40 using sky and the w65 on aerial the motion looks not dissimilar and the HX is xr400 with motion options set on clear.

So I've no idea wht this all means , I do know that motion to me is good with the only menu option is LED MOTION which when on looks horrid and flickers with the overall brightness is reduced by 50% ... No use to me

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question. So far the w65 watching tennis looks fine for motion

:)

Last edited:
thanx for that...tennis is a slow kind of sports....footbat and F1 is a real test for blur as well as games :D:D:D

Okay guys, to make it FINAL — there is NO motionflow settings for the Sony W6 series, period.

Motionflow settings are only available on the W8 series and up.
I can 100% confirm this as I went to a dedicated Sony store a few days ago and checked every setting on at least 1 TV from each series (W6, W7, W8 and W9).

With that said, the W6 seems to be permanantly locked in "Smooth" (Sony may or may not have a firmware in the future to enable motionflow settings however, don't quote me on this one).

There was also Motorstorm Apocalypse and Fifa 13 as playable demos on the W6. While input lag was indeed the lowest I've ever experienced on a LCD/LED TV, there was a little bit of motion blur. It's quite slight and insignificant, of which it will really only be apparent if you try and be anal about it.

So eventhough the W6 is locked in "Smooth", having no input lag = good news. That's all you really need to worry about as motionflow settings in the past has always been notorious for either adding too much input lag or none.

I'm still going to say this — the Sony W6 is arguably the BEST TV for gaming you can get now without burning a hole in your pocket, period.

*Oh and for goodness sake, stop using LED Motion. It does nothing despite saying it'll do something to remove motion blur.
I was eyeballing the differences and even brought in few of the employees to do so, LED Motion does more bad things to the picture quality than improve anything. Even the Sony employees agree.

Last edited:
@ben

appreciate the trouble you went to to give us the info..
indeed no lag and no blur make this a very good budget TV...

one thing that i want to know since you were seeing the W6/8 & 9 at the same time:

How does the W6 compare to the 8 and 9 in terms of motion and overall image to the others ???

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom