Sony W4500 Settings Thread

catcher

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, I thought it would be a good idea for owners to share their settings in a different thread, as it can be hard to find settings posts in the other thread (1400 posts already, and it has been out for two weeks!!).

Mods - feel free to move or merge if you think it inappropriate, although I think it would be a useful reference point.

My current settings:

SD

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 3
Contrast: 78
Brightness: 50
Colour: 50
Colour temp: Warm 1
Sharpness: 5
Noise reduction: Low
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: Low
Live Colour: Low
Colour Space: Wide

BluRay (documentary)

Backlight: 7
Contrast: 85
Colour: 54
Colour temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 7
Noise reduction: Off

The settings above would not really work for a movie, but look great for Planet Earth.

I'll stick my movie calibration for HD sports next week, and for Blu-ray movies when all my stuff from Play arrives (hopefully on Monday).

I'm still tinkering though, and would love to try out some different combinations.

:thumbsup:

Guys, I thought it would be a good idea for owners to share their settings in a different thread, as it can be hard to find settings posts in the other thread (1400 posts already, and it has been out for two weeks!!).

Mods - feel free to move or merge if you think it inappropriate, although I think it would be a useful reference point.

My current settings:

SD

Contrast: 78
Colour: 50
Colour temp: Warm 1
Noise reduction: Low

BluRay (documentary)

Backlight: 7
Contrast: 85
Sharpness: 7

The settings above would not really work for a movie, but look great for Planet Earth.

I'll stick my movie calibration for HD sports next week, and for Blu-ray movies when all my stuff from Play arrives (hopefully on Monday).

I'm still tinkering though, and would love to try out some different combinations.

:thumbsup:
How do you find having the adv contrast enhancer on low looks and works for you then.?

How do you find having the adv contrast enhancer on low looks and works for you then.?

As I said, the above was for a documentary, so I expect a lot of changes for a Blu-ray movie (I may play around with some upscaled DVDs tonight).

For me, with the contrast enhancer off, you get slightly more detail in shadows, which would be beneficial- especially in a dark movie. However, with low contrast enhancer, it adds a touch more depth to the blacks, which gave an overall richer image on Planet Earth. I think I would turn it off depending on what I was watching though.

Contrast Enhancer = Low

img7857zy4.jpg

Contrast enhancer = Off

img7859vc8.jpg

Hmmm, I have been playing around with the SD settings today, especially with the football, I'm getting close to what I think is a good picture, but it would be great to see some other user's settings.

:)

Got mine yesterday from sony centre complete with free blueray player. followed the settings and the picture looks amazing. Great LCD

Hmmm, I have been playing around with the SD settings today, especially with the football, I'm getting close to what I think is a good picture, but it would be great to see some other user's settings.

I'm having trouble finding the correct settings. I'll try yours tonight. Please post again if you find any better settings. I'm very interested in good settings for sport such as football... thanks

Apologies if this is a dense question - I had a play with the 40W4500 in Comet yesterday, and if I have the motionflow switched 'off' is 100Hz processing also switched off or is it still enabled? Unlike the Samsung models where you can turn 100Hz to 'minimun' with resulting little in the way of processing artifacts when watching blu-ray, there is only a 'Standard' or 'High' option for motionflow, and even the 'standard' setting makes films look unnatural. Any answers?

I posted this in the W4500 thread but there were not much answers. Maybe in the setting thread some readers / owners can shed more light on this question?

I'm still undecided whether to buy the W4500 or the Sammy A786.

A potential issue with backlight dimming is lack of detail in dark scenes (black crush). It is a matter of fine-tuning backlight and brightness to get the most details out of the screen in dark scenes and fine-tune contrast for details in white scenes. Alas, often when settings can be found to avoid black crush one ends up with white crush and vice-versa.

Could some owners be so kind as to check which levels of black and white can still be distinguished on test pictures after tuning to “optimal” settings?
A site that has nice test pictures to perform these tests (and more) is:
LCD monitor test images
Or one can use software from monitor company Eizo:
http://www.eizo.de/pool/files/de/Eizo_Monitortest.zip

blacktest.png
whitetest.png

I'm having trouble finding the correct settings. I'll try yours tonight. Please post again if you find any better settings. I'm very interested in good settings for sport such as football... thanks

Sorry, I popped downstairs yesterday to write down my latest settings, and I ended up watching two films….lol!

I'll post up my latest settings this evening. They are more geared toward movies (my previous settings were based on documentaries). I'm really liking my new settings, they have a nice finish.

I posted this in the W4500 thread but there were not much answers. Maybe in the setting thread some readers / owners can shed more light on this question?

I'm still undecided whether to buy the W4500 or the Sammy A786.

A potential issue with backlight dimming is lack of detail in dark scenes (black crush). It is a matter of fine-tuning backlight and brightness to get the most details out of the screen in dark scenes and fine-tune contrast for details in white scenes. Alas, often when settings can be found to avoid black crush one ends up with white crush and vice-versa.

Could some owners be so kind as to check which levels of black and white can still be distinguished on test pictures after tuning to “optimal” settings?
A site that has nice test pictures to perform these tests (and more) is:
LCD monitor test images
Or one can use software from monitor company Eizo:

http://www.eizo.de/pool/files/de/Eizo_Monitortest.zip

I'll put the pictures on a USB stick tonight and check it out. As for the Sony and Samsung, one very immediate difference is that the Samsung has a far glossier and therefore far more reflective screen. The reflective glare on the Samsung made it a non starter for me.

Many thanks for the settings catcher, will have a play with those tomorrow.

For reference the Sky HD code is 0000

Last edited:
Also, on a slight off-topic question, with regards the DNLA functionality of this set, I have it working my PC's running Window Media Player 11 (Sharing Service), however I have a NAS box which I am running MediaTomb on, however the W4500 doesn't seem to pick it up. Just wondering if other people are using DNLA and what servers they have got working?

Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn here but is there any chance we can stick with 'catchers' original intent and keep this 'W4500 Settings Thread' as a W4500 Settings thread (as it's evident that its drifting off already) otherwise it will just become part 2 of the offical W4500 thread with some 1400 replies and leaving readers spending hours sifting through to find useful settings!!

Thank You

Current settings I am using, for dark room:

Mode: Standard
Contrast: 75
Brightness: 52

Temp: Neutral / maybe warm 1 for films
Sharpness: 13 (less for non SD)
Noise reduction: low (for SD)
Mpeg: Off
Advanced contrast: Off
X.V. Colour: On

Looks pretty good to me, would welcome any comments.

Note, this has mostly been tested on low-light. However, I like it as it works with Xbox, Sky HD, SD and Blu-Ray.

Maybe not perfect for all, but a happy compromise.

Will update settings as I keep playing along.

Hello

Does anybody have some good soundsettings for this tv, as I'm using the set and not a sorround system for sound. Please post some settings as the standard settings aren't really that good!

Is it really true that can't arrange the channels, other than the favourites option where you have to push the heart to change between channels?

Picture Mode: Cinema
Backlight: 5
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 61
Colour: 40
Sharpness: Min

although what i try i tend to find dark scene have a green hue to them

Night settings (cinema: on)
-----------------------
Picturemode: Cinema
Backlight: Min.
Contrast: 77
Brightness: 53
Colour: 55
Colour temp.: Varm2
Sharpness: Min.
Avanc. contrast enhancer: Off (all filters off)
Colour space: Standard
Film-mode: Auto2

Daglight-settings (cinema: off)
---------------------------
Picturemode: Standard
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 58
Colour: 48
Colour temp.: Varm2
Sharpness: Min.
Avanc. contrast enhancer: Off (all filters off)
Colour space: Standard
Film-mode: Auto2

In order to get decent blacks I would also ensure that Power Saving is set to
low. The light sensor seems pretty good too actually and dims the picture
nicely in a dark room at night.

I would also avoid the [Auto 1] setting for motionflow as this seems to speed things up and ruin the motion handling.

Has anybody done a proper calibration with DVE or similar???

Can anyone recommend settings for Sky HD/PS3/Xbox 360?

I've just received the set and am using the configured settings.

TV seems fine if slightly grainy on Sky HD.

I previously had the Samsung le37a656 and the options for adjusting the picture were really quite simple and easy to find, whilst using the Sony it doesn't seem to have the same easy access (admittedly I've only used the tv for an hour :rolleyes: )

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smashin:

Can anyone recommend settings for Sky HD/PS3/Xbox 360?

I've just received the set and am using the configured settings.

TV seems fine if slightly grainy on Sky HD.

I previously had the Samsung le37a656 and the options for adjusting the picture were really quite simple and easy to find, whilst using the Sony it doesn't seem to have the same easy access (admittedly I've only used the tv for an hour :rolleyes: )

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smashin:

I would also like the settings for SkyHD, PS3 and 360 :smashin:

I've ordered my KDL40W4500 and wonder if it’s really worth using the enhancements?

I switched off all enhancements on my 26" Panasonic tx-26lxd52 and used a THX optimiser. I was very happy with the results but they turned out to be very near the Cinema preset lol.

It almost seems a shame not to use some on the w4500 considering the cost. The promo material on the Sony website sounds promising with gizmos like x.v. colour etc.

They say the Cinema preset tends to be the closest preset to the industry standard. But they say people can find this dull and prefer something more vivd or colourful. I wonder if enhancements were aimed at making a more vivid, colourful (Perhaps unrealistic?) picture.

I found these settings on another Forum:

For HD Source:

Picture menu:
Picture Mode: Cinema
Backlight: 2
Picture: 90
Brightness: 51
Color: 54
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm2
Noise Reduction: Off