• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony W4000 versus Samsung A656

tintin jones

Prominent Member
As the title said I'm torn between which of the two TV's to get for gaming, bluray, regular sky etc.
Both seem to be very good I had almost decided on the Samsung when I heard about the firmware update to get rid of the focus issue until I read the w4000 review on a site I particularly trust for reviews www.*.

Anyone 'suffering' from a similar pickle?

chelhydra

Standard Member
No comparison really.
W4000 is 8-bit 50hz 33.000:1 CR (do we know the panel ?)
A656 is 10-bit 100hz 50.000:1 CR (S-PVA)

You should compare the A656 with X3500 and toshiba ZF355.
W4000 with A558 and toshiba XF355

W4000 is probably the best in it's class.

tintin jones

Prominent Member
AFAIC the contrast ratio figures mean nothing these days i prefer to see the picture in life! the Samsung does have the 100 hz though and the reason i'm comparing it with the W4000 is they are in the same proce range (at least in Ireland anyway).

I am still leaning towards the samsung just wanted to hear people opinions

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Actually the W4000 above 40" is 10bit.Panel is the S-PVA.As for the dynamic contrast I dont really look at them the actual contrast matters.So between the two both seem to offer the best blacks currently to lcd.The advantage of A656 is what else the 100Hz.I am very much looking forward to the HD TV TEST A656 review

felsi

Established Member
Actually the W4000 above 40" is 10bit.Panel is the S-PVA.As for the dynamic contrast I dont really look at them the actual contrast matters.So between the two both seem to offer the best blacks currently to lcd.The advantage of A656 is what else the 100Hz.I am very much looking forward to the HD TV TEST A656 review

I know 32" is 8bit, but is it also another panel? Does it have worst black or can we compare 32" with 40"?

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Still not confirmed if the 32" is S-PVA or sharp panel.However yes the blacks are equal

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom