Sony W2000 hdmi to dvi probs?!?!

Tommy Teapot

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, i just bought a hdmi to dvi cable to connect my tv to my pc, i got it all connected up etc and i get nothing but a black screen? i have tried messin about with the pc settings but nothing seems to work? i have a radeon x850pe 256mb gfx card and the 40w2000 tv, i tried it on both hdmi channels (Av4 & av5) but nothing! can some1 help me out as i really dont no where to turn. i thought i might have a dodgy cable but i tested it on my friends tv and it works instantly with no probs what so ever? is there something im doing wrong? do all tvs except a pc connection via hdmi or just component? im pullin my hair out big time as ive tried absolutely everything, i even updated my ati drivers but nothing? please if anyone can suggest anything or offer some insight to sorting this problem it will be much much appreciated

thanx in advance

Have you enabled your 2nd screen from your pc via your ATI software?

Have you got a pc monitor attached at the same time? If you have you will have to do the above to enable the 2nd display unit.

Have you tried just connecting the TV as the main display unit just to test?

If your ATI card supports 720p or 1080i output (my X600 does) then use that.

Alternatively, you could try a VGA connection.

Have you enabled your 2nd screen from your pc via your ATI software?

Have you got a pc monitor attached at the same time? If you have you will have to do the above to enable the 2nd display unit.

Have you tried just connecting the TV as the main display unit just to test?

1. yes i think so, i cant actually see a enable button in ati, its picking it up as a sony tv tho

2. yes i had to connect my monitor up via vga as i couldnt see anything on my tv to configure thro the pc etc

3. yes i tested the tv on its own, the funny thing is... you can hear the computer booting up then roughly 30secs it reboots! still no picture tho :(

EDIT: regarding your first question, when in the display manager it says underneath both the screens that they're both disabled??? even know i have them enabled?

right, im sort of getting somewhere here, in the catalyst program under "display manager" its showing a main screen(monitor) and clone screen(tv), underneath them it says attached displays currently disabled :( okay, now when in the same program under "DTV (DVI)4" then "HDTV SUPPORT" i have the three options ticked for 720p/1080i/1080p in the first section, in the second section below it lists the resolutions from 720p -> 1080p varying from 30hz to 60hz, if i click on a resolution an click "apply format" WHAM BAM its suddenly coming thro my tv! but my monitors resolution goes in to mega massive mode? how do i get a decent picture while getting a signal thro my tv? when i check the other resolutions out it seems i cant get a signal thro my tv when i find a decent one for my monitor? its either one or the other? i tried messing about with the clone display in display manager but all it offers is an extended desktop option, is it not possible to have two different resolutions at the same time? i would like the monitor at 1280x1024 and the tv something abit higher?

Where it says 'Attached display currently disabled' right click the grey tv choose 'Extend main onto Digital Panel' then you can have two different display resolutions, one for your pc monitor and one for your TV.

If I do as you have suggested and extend the desktop to the HDMI output I get no icons on the desktop, is this correct?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom