1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY VW12HT - Greyhawk or Firehawk ?? HELP PLS NEED TO PLACE MY ORDER!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by harmony, Jan 22, 2003.

1. harmony

harmony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need a 100" 16:9 screen for my SONY VW12HT, the PJ will be ceiling mounted and used in a general purpose room so it should deal well with some ambient light.

I've read that STEWART designed the GREYHAWK for LCD projectors like the SONY and that the FIREHAWK is more suited to DLP's (this is the impression you get from their web site!)

I want a screen that will deal well with ambient light and work well with the 12HT. What would you guys suggest?

I need to decide in the next 24 hours so pls share your opinon!!

Thanks,

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I believe that the firehawk is less suitable for off axis veiwing if that matters but is better at reducing the intrusion of ambient light.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Greyhawk was designed for high light output projectors. VPL10 was one of the first to benefit from it. Now of course VPL12 has the filter to reduce black levels and probably has a darker black level in the first place so the requirement for such a screen is possibly reduced.

Firehawk was designed for lower light output fixed pixel projectors that couldn't cope with the low gain of Greyhawk. It appears to be a high gain material on a grey backing (rather than white). As such it has a narrow field of view before hotspotting and colour shift become an issue. It is good at coping with stray reflections off walls and ceilings etc.

Both materials are, imho, quite easy to damage and are prone to creasing. Well, the ones I've been leant for shows and seen at shows all seem to be creased. It might just be that they are grey that makes little imperfections more obvious.

My own preference is for white. I have not done the dem with VPL12. I did do dem with Sharp9000 DLP and Firehawk v Stdiotek130. This was done in a closed room with dark walls and no ambient light. I felt the white screen was better as did the majority of folk who also viewed the comparison.

As projector technology improves and they are able to reduce black levels still further the requirement for a grey sceen will diminish. You might find that the combination of a firehawk without filter (for daytime viewing) and with filter (for nightime viewing) may be the best compromise.

The choice is up to you though. This is just food for thought.

Gordon

4. cine king

cine king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    In your opinion then,what is the best screen for LCD projectors with 1000ansi Lumens?
    CK.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    If you have control over light and also room decor and if you are all sitting in front of screen and not at outside screen width then I would go with Studiotek 130.

If you have control over room decor then Grayhawk

If you have neither control over room decor or where folk sit then maybe firehawk is worth looking at.

That is my advice to my clients.
    Gordon

p.s. this has nothing to do with LCD/DLP or LCOS. Only thing that might change my opinion is screen size. Light output as well might suggest adding neutral filter too.

6. greggz

greggz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to agree with Gordon. I haven't seen the Sony on a FireHawk, but I have compared the Marantz 12s1 on a FireHawk and a StudioTek, and my preference was for the white screen. The FireHawk has a bit more depth, but I like a brighter, more vibrant picture. Also, in my setup, off-axis viewing was very important. The StudioTek looks great from any angle.

Its probably too late based on your posting date and the 24 hour timeframe, but I would like to add that Stewart recommends that if you are using the FireHawk that the projector be ceiling mounted and a minimum of 16 feet back from the screen to minimize the occurrence of hot spotting. At 100", I think your Sony would have to be closer than 16 feet. If they are worried about hot spotting from these 400 and 500 lumen DLP's, I would really worry about the Sony at 800 to 1000 lumens.

7. harmony

harmony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gregg - I can't do 16 feet from the screen and ceiling mount.
    I'm planning a ceiling mount 12 feet from the screen.

are you 100% sure stewart recommends the PJ be ceiling mounter and a minimum of 16 feet back from the screen?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would like to agree with Gordon. I haven't seen the Sony on a FireHawk, but I have compared the Marantz 12s1 on a FireHawk and a StudioTek, and my preference was for the white screen. The FireHawk has a bit more depth, but I like a brighter, more vibrant picture. Also, in my setup, off-axis viewing was very important. The StudioTek looks great from any angle.

Its probably too late based on your posting date and the 24 hour timeframe, but I would like to add that Stewart recommends that if you are using the FireHawk that the projector be ceiling mounted and a minimum of 16 feet back from the screen to minimize the occurrence of hot spotting. At 100", I think your Sony would have to be closer than 16 feet. If they are worried about hot spotting from these 400 and 500 lumen DLP's, I would really worry about the Sony at 800 to 1000 lumens.

8. greggz

greggz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is to be the recommendation, but it may not be a carved in stone rule.

Given the high cost of a Stewart screen, I wouldn't chance things based on "forum advice". Call Stewart directly. They will give you a definitive answer.

Stewart Filmscreen Corporation
    Torrance, California 90502 USA
    Phone: (310) 784-5300

9. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I was in the US last week and came across a computer program on a PC at a dealer that sold Stewart Film screen and it was called 'Screen Assist' I think and this program actually gets the dealer to input details of your projector, type, if the speakers will be behind screen and many other details and the program then comes up with recommendations based on your answers. Very good tool I thought but you cannot disregard advise of dealers who install these things in peoples homes as well.

Ask your dealer about screen assist or maybe Stewart will input all the details for you and then send you a printout that is also available with screen assist.

Also have a look at the web site stewartfilm.com

Good Luck

Regards

Mahmood

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Screen Assistant is a useful tool. It doesn't give you recomeendations it just helps prepare drawings for ordering and for contractors.

The UK version for this year is not finished yet. If you call Anders and Kern in Mildenhall, The UK distributor, 01638 510900 they should be able to give you some advise.

Cheers,

Gordon

11. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Thanks for correcting my mistake Gordon. I look foward to learning more about the UK version.

Regards

Mahmood