1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY VW11HT screen size??????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by darren7, Aug 16, 2002.

1. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys and girls.

I have just got my SONY VW11HT today.

I rushed things a bit and I have purchased the wrong size screen.

the room is real small and I got the drapar luma 83" diag.

Think I will go for the 69".

What is the min size room you guys are useing with your big screen sizes?

Also bit of a thick question, when I mount it on the ceiling where dose it have to be in relation to the centre of the screen.

Does it have to be in line with the top or the middle or what? I think I may go for the unicol, but need to no how far it needs to drop down, as to what extentions I need .

Thanks

Darren

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Position:

Laterally, the centre of the lens must be exactly central to the screen

Vertically - ideally the centre of the lens would be level with the top edge of the screen (for an inverted ceiling mount) although the inbuilt keystone correction will fix this if you can't achieve this. Digital keystone correction is best left unused, but if you can't do it any other way, to be fair, the Sony makes an excellent job of this and it doesn't degrade the image quality to any visible extent.

Screen size - determined by the distance away from the screen. To fill a larger screen you have to put the PJ further away. The zoom lens gives a small amount of adjustment/tolerance, so positioning isn't critical to within, say, a couple of feet. Exact details are in the manual, but as a rule of thumb, you need to place the PJ about 1.5x the width of the screen away.

3. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so in a small 11 ft room, should i drop down the size I said in my first post, 69"

has anyone got a small room and what size are you useing?

Unicol, good?

Thanks

Darren

4. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I use a Da-Lite 80x45 16:9 (92" diag) with my VW11, ceiling mounted about 12 feet from the screen (front of lens to screen). My ceiling is only 8 feet so the basic Unicol bracket was fine - just make sure you hit the centre of the joist when you mount it - I use only 2 coach bolts and it's OK.

Image is fine at this distance, no visible screen door.

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I reckon if you put the PJ as far back in the room as it will go (and the screen is right at the other end) you should be just about able to fill it. And you need to position your seating well back, too. In my opinion, the larger the image, the better. The LCD display artefacts (chicken wire etc) (which get more visible, the larger the screen and/or close you are to it) are pretty well a non-issue with this PJ.

6. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what the 69 you mean, the 83 is massive for this size room?

what do you mean that your ceiling is 8" but the proj is 12" back?

Also I need some good decent lengh component cable, is there any tests been done in the mags, price or suppliers?

sorry for so many questions, just in a panic.

Darren

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If the PJ won't fill the 83 when placed as far back from the screen as it will go, get a smaller one.

If the 83 is too large for your personal taste, then, yes, get a smaller one. But - a word of advice; the massive size of your picture compared to a TV may overwhelm you to start with. But it gets smaller (in your perception only) as you get accustomed to it. So, I'd go for the largest your room size and projector lens/position will let you ie. don't go smaller just because it looks big. Only do so because you can't fill the larger screen with the PJ all the way back.

What I meant was, the screen is 8 feet WIDE; the PJ is approximately 12 feet back, as are the seats. For exact numbers see your PJ manual.

Component cables: I use a three-way 10 metre cable (RCA phono > RCA phono) bought from lektropacks for about £70. This works just fine.

Ceiling mounting: The distance down from the ceiling that the PJ needs to be depends on the distance down from the ceiling that the top of the screen is. Ideally they should be the same. The actual height of the ceiling isn't really important so long as you place the screen to match with the placing of the PJ. As I say, even if they aren't exact, you can use the inbuilt digital keystone correction to fix any vertical position issues. The thing you can't cure is incorrect lateral positioning.

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always make your own screen for next to nothing :D

Also I would go for the biggest screen you can fit in your room, my screen is 114" diagonal and if I could have it bigger I would!. That isnt going to happen unless I have a screen near the fireplace :eek: