1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VW10HT picture

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Todda, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my projector for two years and lately I have noticed that the picture does not seem to be as good as when I bought it even though it has a new bulb.

When I watch video that has is slightly dark I seem to loose all detail in the picture. When I watch the same video side by side with my widescreen television I notice that things are happening on the video that I can not see with the projector. I don't expect the picture to be as good with a 7 foot picture but I don't want to watch pivotal scenes of a film as a shadow.

The white also does not look no where near as clean.

I might be imagining this but I'm sure the picture used to be of a higher quality.

Can I please have some opinions from people as to whether the picture should be like this and if not is it possible to improve it.

If I decide to upgrade what should I upgrade to?

How much better is the Sony 12HT than the 10HT?

All opinion and advice would be greatly appretiated.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Hi,
    I have a VW11HT and I've had it for about 2 years also.
    Before I bought it I looked at the 10 and the 11, and the 11 was quite a bit better with black level and overall contrast.

I believe the 12 is better again than the 11, but not by the same margin that 11 was better than the 10.
    I would guess that comparing the 12 with the 10 would be like comparing chalk and cheese.

With regards to the deterioration of the picture quality, this has been reported as being a flaw with LCD technology but never really proven under domestic conditions.
    However, I too suspect that my unit isn't quite as fab as it once was... but then I'm still on the original bulb.

My advice would be (if you havn't already) to try a CC30R fiilter and recalibrate the colour balance.
    I did this for my 11 and it made very worthwhile gains in the contrast and black level for very little outlay.

If you're still not happy and want to stick with LCD technology (as I do) then if you upgrade to the 12HT your CC30R filter will still come in handy.

If you suffer with rainbow effect on DLP units, then LCD is the only alternative and the VW12 is king.
    Available for under £3K in some places, surely its a steel.

3. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jules

Thanks very much for your advice.

I have had my projector professionally calibrated by Gordon of Convergent AV, so I would be a little hesitant to make any changes to the projector that would involve calibrating it again. It would be interesting to hear Gordon’s opinion on it.

I have seen the 12HT advertised for 3000 Euros. What risks are involved in buying a projector from other countries in Europe? Are there any extra costs to pay once the projector arrives in England?

As far as I know the main problem is the costs of having to return the unit to the shop if it is faulty. If that is the only problem I could live with that.

The other question would be, if I buy a new projector how would I sell the old one and how much could I get for it?

Again all advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    If you buy goods from within the EU, there are no local taxes or duties to be paid on arrival in the UK. Taxes etc only arise on purchases made outside the EU. As you say, the risks are in the logistics of making a claim under warranty if necessary. However, EUR3000 works out at roughly GBP2000. I think the best UK price for this item is in the region of GBP3000, so you have GBP1000 (approx) in your pocket as a contingency fund against such an eventuality. With that, you could afford to fly out to wherever you bought it and knock on their door, if needed.

As for the value of an old VW10 - not much, I suspect.

5. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have solved the problem with the projectors contrast. Although the Iscan that the projector is connected to has not been tampered with it's contrast I had to change the contrast levels to
    to correct the picture.

Probably something I should have thought of first. Panic over nothing.

Now that I have looked into new projectors I still think that I going to uprade.

Does anyone have any idea's where the best place to sell a used projector?

Thanks

6. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Todda

these forums are a good place to start for selling.

Ebay currently has a new & graded HT10 for £1499- so that may give you an idea of how to price yours.

Cheers

RKB

7. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.