1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VW10HT + Extron 7SC scaler = 1080i ( WOW)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by minimivic, Jun 6, 2001.

1. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A few weeks ago I posted a shootout between Various projector technologies and ways of improving the images that they produce http://www.wvip.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=send_topic&t=000420&f=8.

Soon after we tried the New Extron 7SC scaler/ video switcher for the day,
    which was kindly demonstrated by Mark Poffley from RGB.
    For test equipment we had the Daewoo 42" plasma and our trusty Sony VW10HT projector.
    The Sony VW10HT is prone to pixel movement and motion artifacting. This is easily improved by adding a progressive DVD player or Iscan pro. To see what I mean try watching the intro sequence to "Shakespear in love" and watch the roof as the camera pans into the theater.
    The Thatched roof has a water like appearence, also Chapter 10 on "Gladiator " (Gladiator I salute you) as the camera pans into the village the picture always hops and stutters, and looks terrible.
    I have spent many hours tring to improve the smoothness of the images on the Sony VW10HT and to date 720P via the HTPC has been the best. Until now!!! the Extron 7SC as well as being a very good scaler is also a 7 way video switcher it also has duel output
    so a Plasma can be connected at the same time as a projector, very usefull indeed.
    The VW10HT wouldn't lock to 720p from the extron so it was difficult to do a direct comparison with the HTPC.
    But 1080i was just jaw dropping, smooth as silk, colours presented themselves far better, red being the most noticable.Using the same scenes as mentioned earlier there was no signs of any motion problems, The "Gladiator" Chaper 15 fight sequence showed more detail in the faces and background than I have ever had on the Sony before. The amount of information that was clearer was astonishing.
    Back to the Daewoo Plasma, it was really evident that Plasma is in real need of help when it comes to getting a good picture.
    Start with Progressive DVD and things really improve, but feed it with the Extron at the native resolution 800 x 480 and Plasma starts to look good.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Sharky ]

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Sharky ]

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Sharky: Sounds like you had some fun.... Can you clear somethings up for me though. Are you saying that the Extron scales an input to 1080i and that the interlaced output, rescaled by the Sony projector and turned back in to progressive, actually looked better than just feeding it a decent progressive scan DVD player?

I like the dual output idea. Vigatec's GVC1280 has 8 inputs and two outputs. Each of the first 6 inputs can be assigned different output resolutions, none are interlaced though.

Also is the Daewoo panel 800 x 480. I thought most budget plasma's were 852 or 853 by 480 native resolution.

How much is it by the way. Sounds like I might need to speak with RGB and see when the reps next coming up.

Nice info.

Gordon

3. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Gordon

The extron will scale any input to any resolution that you require. LD is now watchable :D .
    Its a lot better than using a progressive DVD player. I was surprised at how much better 1080i was than 720p, I have not been able to get good 1080i with the HTPC.

I stand corrected on the Plasma 853 x 480 did it off the top of my head shouldn't really do that.

Price of the extron is £ 4200 so not cheep, but does exactly what it says on the box.And usefull video switcher as well.

A demo is recomended.

All the best

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sharky,

Interesting - I use a VW10HT and since I've been feeding it with the signal from a DVD32R the effect you comment on in Shakespeare in Love has all but disappeared. I will look at the Gladiator scene you mention to see if there is any similar problem to the one you describe or if the dvd player has 'fixed' that too.

5. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Black 5,

Is the DVD32R a progressive DVD player, If it is try switching between interlaced and progressive and see the difference.
    The Sony responds well to good Componect leads rather than S-VHS.
    Anyone interested link to 7SC: http://www.extron.com/product/product.asp?id=system7sc

Progressive DVD really helps the Sony, but it doesn't get even close to a good scaler or HTPC. I am going to try and get hold of a Farouja Scaler but I think the limitation is now in the LCD technology. Its a shame I didnt have the G-15 or Sim 2 HT250 that day to compare.
    Probably awsome on a good CRT, but thats another day.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The DVD32r isn't progressive....yet.

Sharky this 1080i being superior to 720Pon the VPL10 thing has been eating at me. I've had an idea I'd like you to try.

Could you set your PC to 540P rather than 1080i and compare the two. Then let me know what transpires.

Cheers,

Gordon

7. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Gordon

I have spent the last 3 hours trying to get 1080i and 540p on the VW10, with no success.
    The VW10HT will only accept an 1184 x 666 custom resolution which it see's as 720p. To get other resolutions to work is very hard. I have had 1080i working on my old Matrox card but for some reason the G-Force 2 will not get it right.
    It would take me forever to get 540p working.
    This is where the likes of the Extron scaler gave me 1080i, but it wouldn't give me 720p. Its a VW10 thing, very unfriendly when connected to a PC. Lets hope the VW11 will address this issue.

Back to 1080i, I know what you mean about it shouldn't be that good. It was the general presentation that was excellent, you can tell when you have got a good picture, and when you have an excellent picture. Well 720p is a very good picture 1080i is excellent.
    I think that 1080i is the best on this projector so far.
    Its one of those things you have to see to make your own mind up about.
    Given the choice and money no object 1080i :D