1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VVEGA - Self Diagnosis - 5 Flashes - Help !

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Craig_Nike, May 24, 2002.

1. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tonight I was watching my KV-EF 34M31 and the picture started going all white and washed out to the piont that it was comlpetely white. (over about 30-40 seconds)

The standby light was flashing 5 times then resting 5times ect.
    I turned it off anf then back on and the picture came straight back.

Can somebopdy help please - what does 5 flashes in the self diagnosis mean ?

Thanks very much.
    Craig

2. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely somebody out there has a clue on the Sony Self Diagnosis and has 10 seconds to reply ?

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Have you tried search on here, I seem to remember someone asking about Sony S-D a while ago? Either that or the dreaded lengthy google search...

4. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had a very long drawn out saga with this problem on my Sony FQ75, local authorised dealers could not find a fault and even the self diagnosis inside the TV said there was not a fault. However afetr about 9 months and three further tv's later, all of which developed the same fault, Sony eventually replied with a very detailed technical reply (this was after the initially told me that no TV would flash 5 times). Put very simply, its the tube and I hope for your sake that you have it under guarantee cos there bl88dy expensive. Can go into much more detail if you want, but in the meantime best of luck . . . .

5. jlett

jlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be aware that some extended warranties, such as ones dished out by Sony Centre (Sonex Communications) only allow one tube swap. After that, if the tube fails again for any reason; tough luck.

6. daveyp123

daveyp123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a first time poster, but have been following several of he threads for a while.

9 year old Panasonic 25" died 2 weeks ago. After spending 2 weeks watching daughters 14" portable I decided to treat myself to a new widescreen TV.

Purchased a Sony 32ls60 today, brought it home, connected DVD and Sky Digibox. Picture on set lasted about 10 minutes, I was going through the menu settings when picture became very grey/white.

I powered the set off, then on again, I am now looking at a standby light that flashes 5 times, pauses for a while then flashes 5 times again. I have disconnected DVD and Digibox and have only left the RF feed from the aerial, makes no difference.

Has anyone any idea what this means? Should I be calling the retailer tomorrow to demand a replacement?

7. daveyp123

daveyp123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got drunk, went to bed.

Couldn't sleep properly, got up at 5.00 am and switched the TV on - picture is perfect. 5 minutes later screen suddenly takes on that washed out look again. I am now afraid to switch the TV off as I feel it will revert to the flashing standby lights.

Found the following advice at 'http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/service/television.shtml#s17'

"Description:

The Television STAND BY / STEREO / TIMER Light Is Flashing With No Picture And No Sound. KP KV

Solution:

Please follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue.
    If the STAND BY / STEREO / TIMER light flashes for longer than ten (10) seconds with no picture and no sound, unplug the television.

Leave the television unplugged for at least three (3) hours, but overnight is preferred. This will reset the television.
    NOTE: If after resetting the television it still has no picture and no sound, please call the Sony Customer Information Services Center at 800-222-SONY (800-222-7669)."

My televsion had sound though.

Will be calling the retailer at opening time regarding replacement.

Pity, as the TV looks so nice.

8. daveyp123

daveyp123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what the fudge is going on.

Left the TV running and went back to bed for a while. Got up at 09:00 and the picture appears to be perfect.

Kids are currently enjoying Cartoon Network so am putting off the dreaded switch off test. Will let you know if the flashing standby lights reappear when I build up the nerve to switch the thing off.

Has anyone any advice?

9. daveyp123

daveyp123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... and switched the set off. Switched on again and everything seems to be fine. Could my initial problems be connected to the environment in the retailers storage area eg. too cold/damp etc?

Can it take a few hours for a TV to become acclimatised to it's working environment? (is this a stupid question?).

Will hold fire for a while before contacting the retailer.

David

10. Twickenham

Twickenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. daveyp123

daveyp123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Twickenham.

Fingers crossed - the beast is running fine now, will switch off overnight and keep fingers crossed for the morning. Chr*st, I'm sounding like a new father, rather than the owner of some new plastic, glass and metal!!!

On another note, I was pleased with the picture quality of my new TV until I discovered, (courtesy of viewing other threads in this forum), that my DigiBox has been pumping out a PAL signal at 4.3 for the last 3 and a half years). I changed to the DigiBox to RGB output, 16.9 and I am quite literally gobsmacked at the difference, I don't think I will go to bed tonight, too much to watch.

On the Rugby front Twickers, assuming, something I am always loathe to do, that you beat the Welsh, you will face the Green machine in the semi's. Still, look on the bright side, 3rd or 4th in the World Cup isn't a bad result for England.

Please don't take offence.

David