1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VTXD800 vs Pioneer DBR TF100

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by std::graphics, Mar 18, 2005.

1. std::graphics

std::graphics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Pioneer freeview box, and whilst its a rock-solid box it has a couple of niggles. Is the Sony 800 any better in these respects :-

1. I can't swap channels around to make a consecutive list (e.g. BBC1, 2, ITV1, Ch 4, Ch 5, CBeebies, ITV1 etc)

2. The remote control has to pointing accurately at the box - no chance of bouncing it off the ceiling / walls etc.

These mean that its hard for small children to operate (i.e. put on CBeebies!). I can swap it for the Sony - would this be a good move? I'd appreciate any advice. I note that the Sony gets good reviews around here.

regards,

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Sony won't give s-video on the VCR-out unless it is connected to a 'compatible' Smartlink recorder. This would make it unacceptablr for me.

3. std::graphics

std::graphics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eddyad,

thankyou for your reply. I think I'm going to stick with my Pioneer box, the difference doen't seem to be that great.

4. extechieman

extechieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had both models, and I prefer the Sony. Faster switching, user lists more friendly, nicer remote, good 7-day EPG. Yes the VCR out scart is not s-vhs but this does not spoil my enjoyment of the box.

5. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    U could do what I've done with my Sony if U do need SVideo out. Use the TV out scart for SVideo [it can be set in the configuration] and then use the VCR out to your TV, it does RGB fine.

I only had SVideo input on my DVD recorder as my ntl: box was using the scart in.

6. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    according to the sony site, the video scart only supports cvbs and y/c NOT rgb - are you sure you are recieving an rgb signal?

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ... but then you can't use the timer unless you leave the box on all the time, as I don't think it delivers a signal from the TV-out under timer on/off control. It also means you cant use auto-start functions on a DVD recorder (Auto Start on Pioneer, External Link on Panasonic).
    And if you leave the box on all the time you still can't use auto-start beause the signal is there all the time :(

I'm trying to find out if the Philips DTR500 would fill the bill
    Or maybe the new Panasonic in waiting....

Why can't one - just one - manufacturer deliver a decent box - all I want is:
    1. s-video from recorder-out scart (I'd prefer RGB)
    2. 8 or more timer events (it has 10)
    3. 7/8 day EPG with timer event setting from the guide
    4. Ability to turn on a DVD recorder (Pioneer 420) with 'Auto Start' (same as Panasonic External Link).

I must have downloaded about a dozen instruction manuals and nothing does the job properly :mad: