Sony VTXD800 vs Pioneer DBR TF100

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by std::graphics, Mar 18, 2005.

1. std::graphics

std::graphics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Pioneer freeview box, and whilst its a rock-solid box it has a couple of niggles. Is the Sony 800 any better in these respects :-

1. I can't swap channels around to make a consecutive list (e.g. BBC1, 2, ITV1, Ch 4, Ch 5, CBeebies, ITV1 etc)

2. The remote control has to pointing accurately at the box - no chance of bouncing it off the ceiling / walls etc.

These mean that its hard for small children to operate (i.e. put on CBeebies!). I can swap it for the Sony - would this be a good move? I'd appreciate any advice. I note that the Sony gets good reviews around here.

regards,

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Sony won't give s-video on the VCR-out unless it is connected to a 'compatible' Smartlink recorder. This would make it unacceptablr for me.

3. std::graphics

std::graphics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eddyad,

thankyou for your reply. I think I'm going to stick with my Pioneer box, the difference doen't seem to be that great.

4. extechieman

extechieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had both models, and I prefer the Sony. Faster switching, user lists more friendly, nicer remote, good 7-day EPG. Yes the VCR out scart is not s-vhs but this does not spoil my enjoyment of the box.

5. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    U could do what I've done with my Sony if U do need SVideo out. Use the TV out scart for SVideo [it can be set in the configuration] and then use the VCR out to your TV, it does RGB fine.

I only had SVideo input on my DVD recorder as my ntl: box was using the scart in.

6. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    according to the sony site, the video scart only supports cvbs and y/c NOT rgb - are you sure you are recieving an rgb signal?

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ... but then you can't use the timer unless you leave the box on all the time, as I don't think it delivers a signal from the TV-out under timer on/off control. It also means you cant use auto-start functions on a DVD recorder (Auto Start on Pioneer, External Link on Panasonic).
    And if you leave the box on all the time you still can't use auto-start beause the signal is there all the time :(

I'm trying to find out if the Philips DTR500 would fill the bill
    Or maybe the new Panasonic in waiting....

Why can't one - just one - manufacturer deliver a decent box - all I want is:
    1. s-video from recorder-out scart (I'd prefer RGB)
    2. 8 or more timer events (it has 10)
    3. 7/8 day EPG with timer event setting from the guide
    4. Ability to turn on a DVD recorder (Pioneer 420) with 'Auto Start' (same as Panasonic External Link).

I must have downloaded about a dozen instruction manuals and nothing does the job properly :mad: