1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Vtx-s760u / S750u

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by milgo, Jan 29, 2003.

1. milgo

milgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking of purchasing one of these sony digi boxes 2nd hand on ebay, It would look better in the stack beneath my DAVS880.

Will it perform better that my SKY supplied Grundig?

Are there any major differences between the 2 models?.

Will I simply be able to remove my existing STB and replace it with the sony, or do I have to inform SKY?

Thanks.

2. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I can only answer 1 question.

You will have to inform sky, it simple as i have done it before, what they need to do is reg your viewing card to the new sky box. What they ask you to do is to go into services, system setup then to system details and you just read out what it says on there to the tech guy at sky ta da they get you sorted

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Electronic equipment requires a minimum 100mm air gap above if you expect reasonable reliability.

Probably not. The Sony is allegedly renowned for nice looking box but mediocre pictures.

Dunno but the early model came with the optical output disabled. There was a hoo hah about enabling them but I don't know if they all were. This might not matter to you of course. It won't give 5.1 Dolby anyway.

As the man tried to write, you phone SKY with your on-screen serial number and version number and ask them to authorise your old viewing card in the new box.

Fman

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    My mint 760 will be for sale imminently at below eBay prices. I'll probably post an ad in the classifieds.

Mike.

5. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a 750 and it came with the optical output working. But there was a slip in the box saying that the optical output had been disabled.

Apparently, the Sonys don't have the neccessary hardware to output DD, though.