1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VTX-S760U optical out

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by pwoody, May 3, 2002.

1. pwoody

pwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I dont subscribe to SKY Movies I was wondering if anyone could tell me if its worth using the optical out or is the normal phono output better given that I am using Kimber interconnect into a Denon 3802. I know only certain Sky Movies are in Dolby digital so has anyone compared the sound on other stuff such as BBC1 using either connection type?

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't get Dolby Digital out of the Sony 760. It's a shame because I'm sure someone could have come up with a mod by now but I guess the demand isn't there yet. Sky also want you to get Sky+ so they won't push it. It think it's a software issue that stops it although there was a lengthly discussion on it a while back. On a brighter note, I have a 760 and use the optical out because I think it sounds much more punchy than the phonos. I also get the impression that the Pro Logic is more defined although that may be down to my amp (Sony 940). With the Denon being a better beast, you may not notice a difference. Only thing to do is try it out and see what your ears prefer.

I got the 760 mainly for it's looks and the optical out. I live with the faint hope that someday there will be a mod available so we can get DD. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Steve

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very basically, there are two audio streams being sent out and the Sky+ boxes allow you to select the audio stream you want. The Sony digiboxes do not have that option in the software so you only get the standard audio stream (ie the one that is not Dolby Digital).

4. matvib

matvib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    surely this is just a case of software code, much like the secret codes you can enter to change your DVD to multi region?

what we need is a disgruntled Sony employee!

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It surely can't be much, even if it needs a soldering job. They just want us all on Sky+ but some hacker somewhere needs to come up with the goods.

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I had Sky fitted today, I wanted a Grundig just for the s-video socket, he only had one make though, it was the Sony :) now I also have optical digital out :) I suppose I cant have everything.
    It looks dead cool as well, pitty it has a Sony badge on it :(

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's wrong with a Sony badge. At least it gives all those Yammaha and Denon owners the chance to sneer at us.:devil: