Sony VTX-D800U - Will timer recording only output composite ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Shwing, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Shwing

Shwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi guys.

I recently had the use of a Sony VTX-D800U freeview box, and found it to be an excellent box - bar one particular problem (don't know if it's a 'feature' with this box, or if there was a problem).

Basically, if I set a manual timer record to output to my Pioneer 420 DVD/HDD recorder, the Sony box switched on in composite mode only. If I then pressed any button (which 'exited' the timer recording, but continued recording), it seemed to switch back to RGB.

Bizarre??

The box was hooked up to the recorder from the TV out (RGB) scart on the box, to the RGB scart in on the recorder.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Mark

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Hi Mark Do you have the manual for the sony? If not you can download from www.npe.sony.co.uk You need to check which output you have set up to Tv or VCR as this varies if smartlink is on or off. If you have already done all this afraid cant think of anything else at the moment Jaymac

3. Shwing

Shwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for your reply Jaymac.

I had the manual (actual + download), and tried every combination in the setup - but for some strange reason, every time I set a 'timer record' using the freeview box, it always came on in composite mode.

Can anyone else (inc. Jaymac - if you have one) tell me if their Sony freeview box does the same ?

Ta!

4. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just set a record timer on my VTX-D800U (for the first time ever since I don't use it for recording) and when the box awoke, its TV output had switched from s-video to composite.

This problem did not occur when I set a second record timer but did not put the box into standby.

5. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Mark do you have the current software on this box as av/rgb switching was a problem with the previous version. Also you say manual? timer record I think the outputs are possibly smartlink dependent might be worth checking
    Jaymac

6. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jaymac; my box has the latest firmware and I've successfully recreated the problem Shwing has described. Note also that Shwing is using the TV output for recording, the format of which is configured manually and not by Smartlink.

Mark; have you reported this problem to Sony? I'll be giving them a call myself.

7. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    sdc395 I did note mark is using the tv output but smartlink also works on the tv out put

8. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite right. My mistake. :blush: I had assumed that Mark has set the TV output to RGB manually.

9. Shwing

Shwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

In relation to some of your questions - I had set the TV output manually to RGB etc (everything was setup ok). Also I tried various combinations in the setup using Smartlink 'on'/'off' etc... but nothing changed, box always powered up in composite.
    The only way to keep unit on RGB was to leave it powered up - but that meant I had to manually set my Pioneer DVD/HDD recorder as opposed to getting it to detect an incoming 'power up' signal (as the freeview box was constantly on).

The fact that no-one else seems to have noticed this problem on the Sony box - I take it you set your recordings up via your 'recorder', and just get the box to switch channels as required (as a matter of interest)?

Mark

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I’m not sure if I fully understand your question, but I do have this box and know this:

The second (VCR) SCART is composite only (plus S-video for Smartlink devices). The manual timer only works with this second SCART.

If you set a “wake up” timer (only can do this via the EPG), then this will “wake up” the main “TV” SCART, in RGB mode if configured that way. But in this mode, the VTX-D800U won’t shut off.

Hope this helps!

Mark

11. Shwing

Shwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Mark,

I set a 'timer recording' using the freeview box EPG - and it powers up when it should (and powers down when the timer recording has finished - I don't know why you said otherwise??) - but, even though the freeview box has been set up to output RGB, for some reason it only outputs composite.

Just to clarify, I wasn't using the second ('vcr') scart socket at all - the main 'tv' scart was plugged directly into my DVD/HDD recorder (and the timer recordings work fine this way - except for the fact that the system powers up in composite).

Ta,

Mark

12. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    When you set a timer via the EPG (not a manual timer) you have 2 options: One is called "wake up", the other is "timer recording".

What I was saying is that if you select wake up, it WILL output RGB via the TV SCART; though in this case the VTX-D800U won't shut off.

If you select timer recording yes it will shut off, but you won't get RGB.

I've learned something here. In my setup, it appeared that the "timer recording" didn't activate the TV SCART at all - i.e. my recorder didn't see a signal at all. But I guess it was that the recorder being configured for RGB and didn't "see" the composite signal.

Anyway, again my point is if you use the "Wake Up" function you will get RGB out, but it won't shut off in this mode. I find this useful.

Mark