Sony VTX-D800U Smartlink Question

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by blackhammer, Mar 19, 2006.

1. blackhammer

blackhammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Evening all,

I currently have the above freeview box and am looking for a way to use the epg when recording.

Firstly,Am I right in thinking that it is possible to use the epg to select certain programmes I wish to record?

And if so, what do I need exactly to do this. A sony VCR with smartlink? or can I buy a DVD recorder or PVR with smartlink to make recording nice and simple.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Cheers!

Hammer

2. blackhammer

blackhammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bump..

Anyone got any ideas or know what I need to activate this facility of the freeview box.

I'm presuming I will need to purchase a Sony Smartlink VCR or DVD recorder. Can anyone please confirm this? If not i will ring Sony.

3. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I dont know about dvd recorders but you dont need a sony vcr it is compatible with my old Panasonic calls its ststem Q link. Yes you can set it up from the EPG though I always do it manually. You ned do nothing on the vcr the STB will turn it on and off and set it to the av setting

4. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    I have that freeview box and agree with the above. You select the programme you want to record in the EPG and use a red-button 'record' timer event (as opposed to the yellow-button change event option).

You need to set Smartlink active in the Freeview box settings (you've probably got that far already).

If it's all working ok, when you set the timer record event, you'll get a message that doesn't contain the 'don't forget to set your VCR' (or similar) - because it will be doing that for you.

My RDR-HX510 displays 'Smartlink' in the front panel display when it's all connected up.

5. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

I haven't been able to get this working using a Pioneer DVR-530 and the Sony box, even though they should. The Pioneer works fine from the TV's EPG, although only records in composite from the TV SCART. I have only played about with it out of curiosity as we normally use the GuidePlus+ system on the Pioneer, this turns the Freeview box to the correct channel and records by selecting the program in the EPG on the recorder.

There is a minor issue with the Sony Freeview box though (same with their DVD Recorders) you can't change the times. There is no way to start it a few minutes early and have it finish a few minutes later to cater for the transmissions that never run to the exact minute, so missing the last minute of a recording is something you may have to get used to.

With the Panasonic TV EPG or the Pioneer DVR-530 recorder you can easily edit the start and end times, but not so on the Sony Freeview box.

There are also some posts of known issues with SmartLink on the Sony box on the latest firmware (try a search for keywords Sony and SmartLink), which is supposed to be fixed on a firmware update but no sign of it yet.

Regards

Phil

6. blackhammer

blackhammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks very much Phil.

I will probbaly be buying a DVD recorder soon so thought I would ask if the smartlink actually works.

Another quick question for you as it seems you have touched on this in your post...

When I use my current VCR to record freeview, the pic quality is nowhere near that of the pic when watching it. Is this because it's only recording a composite signal? whereas when I watch freeview it's a RGB pic.
    Would be grateful if you could let me know. And is there anyway to record thr RGB pic??

Cheers!!!

7. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

It does work well for some people, and not at all for others. I think the TV can play a role as so all three need to be compatible.

Unless you are using an S-VHS recorder, all video recorders record using composite as that is how it is recorded on the tape, so it doesn’t matter what signal you feed it, you always get the quality of a composite picture, because of that you seldom find RGB inputs on video recorders. So no, you can’t record from RGB on a video recorder. Also video recorders have lower resolution than DVD Recorders and degrade the picture quality quite a bit.

A DVD Recorder (assuming you are using a good recording quality setting) will record a picture that you would find hard to spot the difference from the original, and as they don’t record using analogue composite signals do accept RGB which gives a much better recording.

Regards

Phil

8. blackhammer

blackhammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks very much Phil, your advice is much appreciated!!!

Just so you know I have a 5 yr old Sony CRT, so I may well be lucky if I sort myself out with a DVD recorder soon.

Thanks again :thumbsup: