Sony VTX-D800U Reception problem

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by timlist, Sep 17, 2004.

1. timlist

timlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a VTX-D800U and overall I'm very pleased with it. I seem to have a consistent problem with reception of the ITV multiplex in particular; it doesn't affect the other multiplexes at all.

I live in an area with excellent Freeview coverage from the Sandy Heath transmitter in Bedfordshire. I have found, however, that after about an hour the reception on the ITV multiplex breaks up to the point that it's unwatchable. Changing channels away from this multiplex fixes the problem until it happens again. The signal strength/quality goes from good/green-good to good/average-yellow when the problem is occurring.

I have two other Freeview boxes in the house, Pace and Panasonic, and they do not suffer from this problem. The Pace box is actually fed from the RF output of the Sony and reception on that is perfect whilst the Sony box is having problems.

I have seen comments about this problem on other forums and I wondered if this is a fault with the Sony boxes in general or a specific fault with mine.

Any help/comments would be appreciated before I return the box.

Thanks,

Tim

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I have this problem also, particularly on ITV1 from the I.O.W Rowridge transmitter, using a high gain loft aerial and aerial amps feeding several Freeview adapters on different TVs around the house. The problem can be cured simply by rebooting the Sony box, but sometimes it gradually re-appears. It is as if the errors gradually accumulate until the box cannot handle it any more. It seems to me that the Sony freeview box is a tad sensitive to this problem, even though the signal level and quality are 90 -100 % in normal operation. I have no solution, but it may be that I will have to move the aerial outside and take off the aerial amps, to see if this cures it.
    Anyone have other ideas ?

3. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Same problem on ITV here - running from the signal at Dover. My firmware is an older version of 1.09 or so. The latest is 1.11 but I read somewhere it had problems. I've been mailing Sony to try and find out when the next update is being broadcast but all they seem to be able to tell me is to keep checking the engineering schedule at www.dtg.org.uk :(

I've had my box for a couple of months but have only started noticed the problem in the last week or so. As with JH4, I've just been power-cycling the box which seems to solve it :confused: