1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VTX-D800U less prone to interference than Goodmans GDB4??

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Markkfc9, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Markkfc9

Markkfc9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Goodmans GDB4 freeview receiver which is on the whole OK. My only problem is that very frustratingly it occasionally suffers from interference (short temporary blockiness/loss of sound) when certain lights in the house are switched on. I have tried everything I can think of - Outside aerial, Screened cable & screened wall plate all to no avail.

My last throw of the dice would be to buy a Sony VTX-D800U in the hope that being a better quality box it may be less susceptible to such interference. The buyers' reviews on Amazon tend to suggest this is possible?From anybodies experience could this help solve the problem or am I just wasting my money and have to live with the problem?

Anybodies help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Markkfc9

Markkfc9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: I read with interest another post updated tonight which refers to sound drop outs on freeview boxes which I would be convinced is down to the same electrical interference. Could any Sony VTX-D800U owners please tell me if they ever experience any such sound drop outs as it may be the deciding factor in ditching the goodmans and parting with the cash!

Thanks.

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    It's possible the interference is being radiated by the mains wiring........why not try a mains distribution block with RFI suppresion first before going to the expense of buying a Sony.

4. Spangle2k5

Spangle2k5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I own the Sony VTX-D800U and have never experienced a single glitch.

I have tried the box round other peoples houses where other Freeview boxes have not returned a satisfactory picture and it has performed very well indeed.

I would personally stump up the extra cash for the Sony as I cannot fault the box at all.

5. Markkfc9

Markkfc9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried a belkin pure AV surge protector which I believe has RFI Screening?? I also have the Co-ax leads with the interference filters at each end. Neither of which have helped.

6. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got the Sony and a Pioneer box. The Sony will pixilate when the central heating kicks in,the Pioneer doesn't. The Sony is deff. more sensitive to interfernec than the Pioneer in my experience but still a VERY good box(fast EPG and channel changing)

7. Julio V

Julio V
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dear DRGL and Spangle 2K5,

Have you ever tried to connect the indoor tv aerial ( Not the top roof aerial) to the freeview Sony VTX-D800U? I am an oversea student. My landlord doesn't allow me to extend her top roof aerial. But I would like to enjoy the freeview channels. :lease:

Before buying a freeview box, please let me know whether or not the freeview top box could be connected to the indoor aerial

Thank you in advance for your helps and concerns :clap:

HUNG VO

8. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    It doesn't matter if DRGL or Spangle 2K5 can get a signal with an indoor or set-top aerial or not..........what matters is your location and signal strength.....best to ask a local aerial fitter his opinion.